mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Trail projects article in Blue Ridge Outdoors

Team Martin
    Interesting read.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Thanks for posting Woody! I will be especially interested in the work that will be done in the Tellico area. There is some great riding to be had there, and now more people may be able to find out about them!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    Thanks for posting Woody! I will be especially interested in the work that will be done in the Tellico area. There is some great riding to be had there, and now more people may be able to find out about them!
    If you are speaking of the Tellico OHV area, I can give some level of detail. For the most part, most trails in the area will be closed down all together (meaning no replacements). The FS was sued by many envio organizations including The Sierra Club, Southern Environmental Law Center, and Trout Unlimited for not properly managing the trail system and as a result tons of sediment dumping into the upper Tellico river. FS went through an Environmental Assessment process a few years back and the final decision late last year for to close most of the system.

Some of the roads in the area will be improved and surfaced hardened, but a lot of the work is trail closure and landscape restoration.

More info can be found here:

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm