mtbr member
    May 2004

Trail conditions in Pisgah

I 'm wondering what the trail conditions are like in Western NC this time of year. I'm thinking about heading down there after Christmas but I have only ridden there during the summer.

Thanks

mtbr member
    perfect
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Fast and dry. I agree. Perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    and just to re-state the previous...

All the trails are in great shape! We've only had like one day of rain in the past 3 weeks! The water crossings are low (but cold), and the mud has mostly all dried up. They are calling for a little rain this week but I doubt if it would truly make a difference, as most of it would either be soaked up by the ground or run off. Also, now that we've had a few weeks since the main "leaf-drop", most of the deep and sketchy leaf areas are getting mashed down and cleared from the trails.
    I've ridden all of the brevard area, mills river, old fort and dupont. They're all great! Have fun and happy holidaze...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just what I wanted to hear..thanks mtb breathren

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Are all the trails open? Are their any special rules for bear season?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Far as I know the only "restricted" area is around Old Toll Road north of ridgecrest (exit66?). that property is owned by a bear hunting club and closed until after bear season. jan 1st i think, but others on the site know the specifics.
    the rest of pisgah is open. all the seasonal trails are open oct15-apr15. however 'open' is open to everyone (riders and hunters). so wear bright colors and try to be courteous, because they do have guns... so far i've only run into 3 squirrel hunters and a pack of hounds. oh, and one bobcat. i believe most of the hunters realize their best chance of success is staying clear of the main trails.
    daylight by 730am, and best to out by 5-530 max. otherwise take lights