Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Today I remembered.....

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  man w/ one hand 
#1 ·
Why I do all my own work on my bikes. Took my new frame into one the local shops to have the headset pressed in and BB chased. I should have asked beforehand (my stupidity) what this was gonna cost me but I didn't. Took about 10 minutes and got the bill for $50.00 ($10.00 headset + $40.00 BB). Is this the normal going rate for pressing in a headset and chasing BB threads? I'm not going to mention the name of the shop but it seems a little overboard, I may be wrong?

#2 ·
I bet it was some stupid-assed big full suspension downhill POS.

That's probably why they charged so much...

It was a f'ing downhiller that got me into a fight with that chair at Fontana.
You guys suck. I wouldn't want to work on your bikes either.

#4 ·
Still cheaper than going to see a doctor. But it depends on who you go and see. I have 2 shops close by to me, one is cheap and one is expensive. I save more money going to the expensive guy because he knows what he is doing and gets it right the first time. What takes him only a couple minutes to do could take me all night. I am paying for his experience and expertise. The cheap guy never gets it right the first time and I spend the rest of the day fixing his mistakes.

#5 ·
Senor StrongBad said:
Still cheaper than going to see a doctor. But it depends on who you go and see. I have 2 shops close by to me, one is cheap and one is expensive. I save more money going to the expensive guy because he knows what he is doing and gets it right the first time. What takes him only a couple minutes to do could take me all night. I am paying for his experience and expertise. The cheap guy never gets it right the first time and I spend the rest of the day fixing his mistakes.
So you don't think $40 to chase BB threads is too much?

#11 ·
cruso414 said:
So you don't think $40 to chase BB threads is too much?
Yes and No. I think $40 is a lot for 10 minutes of work, but it depends on how much the frame cost and what kind of damage to the frame you could do in getting it wrong. I do not know much about chasing a BB but the tool itself looks expensive. So if it is a one time thing on a several thousand dollar frame, $40 aint to bad. What kind of frame did you buy that you needed it to be chased? don't most frame builders prep the frames before they send them out? Did you also have it faced?

#12 ·
Senor StrongBad said:
Yes and No. I think $40 is a lot for 10 minutes of work, but it depends on how much the frame cost and what kind of damage to the frame you could do in getting it wrong. I do not know much about chasing a BB but the tool itself looks expensive. So if it is a one time thing on a several thousand dollar frame, $40 aint to bad. What kind of frame did you buy that you needed it to be chased? don't most frame builders prep the frames before they send them out? Did you also have it faced?
Vassago Jabberwocky. It's supposed to be chased and faced from the factory but the threads felt a little ragged so I wanted to be safe.

#13 ·
I think that was about the average going price. It seems expensive for the amount of time spent, but if they get it wrong, you can eat up a BB shell pretty quick. I paid the exact same price at 2 different shops here in Charlotte.

I've always wanted/needed one, thanks for the link for a more affodable one.

#14 ·
Enoch said:
I think that was about the average going price. It seems expensive for the amount of time spent, but if they get it wrong, you can eat up a BB shell pretty quick. I paid the exact same price at 2 different shops here in Charlotte.

I've always wanted/needed one, thanks for the link for a more affodable one.
You know this is all your fault. If I hadn't met the Zion SS factory crew at wilson's, I wouldn't have bought the Lynskey or the Jabberwocky. Damn you Jerry!;)

#15 ·
cruso414 said:
Vassago Jabberwocky. It's supposed to be chased and faced from the factory but the threads felt a little ragged so I wanted to be safe.
Same with my last Inbred purchase. The previous 2 Inbred frames I have were fine, last one didn't feel right, so I took it to get chased. Same price you paid. I thought it was pricey given the time spent and being almost 20% the cost of the frame. But once it was done and how easily the BB went in, I was glad that I did have it done. Also, he did it while I waited, so I took that into account as well. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.