banned

Today I remembered.....

Why I do all my own work on my bikes. Took my new frame into one the local shops to have the headset pressed in and BB chased. I should have asked beforehand (my stupidity) what this was gonna cost me but I didn't. Took about 10 minutes and got the bill for $50.00 ($10.00 headset + $40.00 BB). Is this the normal going rate for pressing in a headset and chasing BB threads? I'm not going to mention the name of the shop but it seems a little overboard, I may be wrong?

H8 H8 H8
    I bet it was some stupid-assed big full suspension downhill POS.

That's probably why they charged so much...

It was a f'ing downhiller that got me into a fight with that chair at Fontana.
    You guys suck. I wouldn't want to work on your bikes either.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I bet it was some stupid-assed big full suspension downhill POS.

That's probably why they charged so much...
    Nah, I sold that frame.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Still cheaper than going to see a doctor. But it depends on who you go and see. I have 2 shops close by to me, one is cheap and one is expensive. I save more money going to the expensive guy because he knows what he is doing and gets it right the first time. What takes him only a couple minutes to do could take me all night. I am paying for his experience and expertise. The cheap guy never gets it right the first time and I spend the rest of the day fixing his mistakes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    Still cheaper than going to see a doctor. But it depends on who you go and see. I have 2 shops close by to me, one is cheap and one is expensive. I save more money going to the expensive guy because he knows what he is doing and gets it right the first time. What takes him only a couple minutes to do could take me all night. I am paying for his experience and expertise. The cheap guy never gets it right the first time and I spend the rest of the day fixing his mistakes.
    So you don't think $40 to chase BB threads is too much?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Buy th tool and learn to use it, soundz like it'll pay for itself at some point, given what your paying to have someone else do it.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Buy th tool and learn to use it, soundz like it'll pay for itself at some point, given what your paying to have someone else do it.
    It's one of those tools that you rarely use so it's one that I don't have. I know where I can borrow one next time though.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    The Park BTS-1 is about $500...I guess it would eventually pay for itself, but it's a big up front cost.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Gabe.....
    It's one of those tools that you rarely use so it's one that I don't have. I know where I can borrow one next time though.
    To me as a "frame builder" I would use one more often than most and I still can't justify the cost of a chassing tool............so, $40 one time is a great deal!
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

banned
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=86118

If I didn't have one that I can borrow next time, I would order one of these.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Yes and No. I think $40 is a lot for 10 minutes of work, but it depends on how much the frame cost and what kind of damage to the frame you could do in getting it wrong. I do not know much about chasing a BB but the tool itself looks expensive. So if it is a one time thing on a several thousand dollar frame, $40 aint to bad. What kind of frame did you buy that you needed it to be chased? don't most frame builders prep the frames before they send them out? Did you also have it faced?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    Yes and No. I think $40 is a lot for 10 minutes of work, but it depends on how much the frame cost and what kind of damage to the frame you could do in getting it wrong. I do not know much about chasing a BB but the tool itself looks expensive. So if it is a one time thing on a several thousand dollar frame, $40 aint to bad. What kind of frame did you buy that you needed it to be chased? don't most frame builders prep the frames before they send them out? Did you also have it faced?
    Vassago Jabberwocky. It's supposed to be chased and faced from the factory but the threads felt a little ragged so I wanted to be safe.

And He was Not
    I think that was about the average going price. It seems expensive for the amount of time spent, but if they get it wrong, you can eat up a BB shell pretty quick. I paid the exact same price at 2 different shops here in Charlotte.

I've always wanted/needed one, thanks for the link for a more affodable one.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    I think that was about the average going price. It seems expensive for the amount of time spent, but if they get it wrong, you can eat up a BB shell pretty quick. I paid the exact same price at 2 different shops here in Charlotte.

I've always wanted/needed one, thanks for the link for a more affodable one.
    You know this is all your fault. If I hadn't met the Zion SS factory crew at wilson's, I wouldn't have bought the Lynskey or the Jabberwocky. Damn you Jerry!

rob
    slakDawg
    Vassago Jabberwocky. It's supposed to be chased and faced from the factory but the threads felt a little ragged so I wanted to be safe.
    Same with my last Inbred purchase. The previous 2 Inbred frames I have were fine, last one didn't feel right, so I took it to get chased. Same price you paid. I thought it was pricey given the time spent and being almost 20% the cost of the frame. But once it was done and how easily the BB went in, I was glad that I did have it done. Also, he did it while I waited, so I took that into account as well. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

banned
    It looks like $40 is the going rate, I live and learn. Thanks for the replies and the insight into how shatty DH bikes are.

it's still Enoch's fault though.

drunken pirate
    I had mine done by Jeff at Bikeways for $20
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    I had mine done by Jeff at Bikeways for $20
    That sounds more reasonable.
    Last edited by cruso414; 12-22-2010 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mountain bikers are just like sailors! Wind is free, trails are free, everything should be free.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Maybe th wrench at yer LBS would be "interested in doin' some side work at home"....thatz th way you both can have a win-win....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"