mtbr member

Tire Recommendations for Pisgah

Heading over to ride Pisgah next Friday. I know we will be riding Laurel Mtn-Pilot Rock loop and Squirrel-Turkey Pen loop. The third is undecided. What type of tires are best for there? I run a 2.0 rear and 650B 2.1 Fire Pro up front. Tubeless typically around 30psi. Will these tires work for Pisgah? I have a set of 2.35 Nevegals I use out West that I can throw on.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

drunken pirate
    29 inch ones
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    A higher volume tire will make for a more enjoyable trip. Once you see the rocky section of Pilot or the roots of squirrel you'll know what I mean. I've never been a huge nevegal fan myself, but I see a lot of that tire in pisgah and it may be your better choice.

Though when you're pushing your bike the tire choice is less crucial.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I run a 2.35 nevegal UST with DTC up front and a SB8 in the back 2.1 UST. I have them at 35psi and have not had any flats for the 1 year I have been running them. I have Stans sealant in them for the last 6 months which has stopped the 5-10psi a week loss I was having on the rear tire. I do not shy away from hitting all the rocks and roots either. When I was running tubes I had a pinch flat almost every week. I wish the nevegal was a little faster rolling though. But they work well for the trails in this area! I am open to hearing about something better though since I will be needing a new set soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    29 inch ones
    I've thought about trying out a 29er. I did step up my front to a 650B or 27.5" so I guess I'm on a 2650Ber right now.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Its got what plants crave
    I pinch flatted a Fire XC Pro UST version on Pilot once, but it was more of a poor line selection than an equipment failure.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Thread Killer
    I've been having fun on a set of Karmas. They've been great for the dry conditions we've had this summer -- though with the brown ice starting to accumulate, especially on the rocks, I'm looking at a Nevegal for the front.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I pinch flatted a Fire XC Pro UST version on Pilot once, but it was more of a poor line selection than an equipment failure.
    Interesting it was a Fire XC. Those are the tires I was pinch flatting every week until I switched to Kenda's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've had good luck with a Specialized Eskar 2.3/Purgatory 2.2 combo. Before that I was running WTB Prowlers, but they didn't hook up nearly as well. I've never loved Nevegals, and since I ride tubeless, I try to stay away from Kenda anyways. I was following a guy on a 29er a couple of weeks ago, and I had a difficult time keeping up. I can't believe his wheels held up down Pilot...

mtbr member
    At this time of year, you want tires with tall, triangular spaced knobs vs. square, tight knobs. Another way to describe this is tires that are cutters, not floaters. The former will slice through the leaves covering the trail, the latter will wash out more.
    Conti Mt Kings and Ignitors both fall into the "cutter" category.

mtbr member
    Was up there the past weekend with 2.4 mtn kings up front and 2.2 speshy the captain out back. Was a good combo I felt.

At 25 psi tubeless on the rear I was thoroughly impressed with the captain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    depends on the bike, I like the narrower Ignitor with suspension fork, but the Panaracer Rampage with a rigid fork. Rampage on a wide rim is a lot of tire to push around but the control is fantastic. Rear tire choice matters a lot less to me, I get something faster rolling.