mtbr member
    Jan 2004

For those that contributed to my DH thread

Thanks.

We had a wonderful weekend camping at Davidson again. Had time to get in North Slope and Sycamore Cove with my son before dark on Fri. Sat morning he wanted to do North Slope before I went out for some of your suggested trails.

Left the campground right before lunch. The climb up 477 wasn't bad, but somehow I soon got the feeling I was heading in the wrong direction on Club Gap. I hate hike-a-bike sections, but sometimes it has to be done. Next was Buckwheat Knob and a little DH action. I think next time I might start out on Buckwheat and then descend Club, climb back up 477 and then hit Bennett Gap. Last up as you can guess was Bennett Gap. The switchback at the top was too much for me. I would love to be around and see someone actually pull it off. The last section after the junction to Perry Cove was just what I needed after the hiking sections. Long and fast (think goodness those hikers could get off the trail pretty fast). No, actually they waved me on even though I was slowing to a stop to let them by.

Got back to the campground a little after 2:30 only to have my anxious 10 year old waiting for another ride. Off we went for Sycamore Cove again.

All in all, it was a great day. The weather was perfect. Hope everyone had an opportunity to get out and ride. Next time I'm hitting Avery Creek to see what it's like.

Heads up Flyboy!!

Your Welcome

I'm glad you got to do some enjoyable riding this weeknd. It is to bad you could not ride Farlow this weekend as it will probably be closed the next time your in the area. For doing the ride like you did with Club Gap as a start is one of my favorite short rides. Provides a good warmup for Buckwheat and Bennet. Of course, I'm on a hardtail to so I can understand when you say you had trouble on your DH rig as it is a steep climb in sections. There would of been sections of Bckwheat you would of had to hike if you had tried to climb it from the road. Take care and let us know when your in the area with your XC rig and I'll show you some really amazing trails.

Jeremy

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Yeah that top section of bennet is awesome isnt it? That switchback is hard, I have cleaned it once, dabbed once, and crashed once. I need to go back before it closes, too bad the road is closed so I cant shuttle it.