mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thinking of relocating from NJ to NC

Hello all,

getting tired of the extra lon Winters off the bike and paying for a city that I will never visit frequently, i have been looking at other options.

1st of all, what are the best trails in the NC area? I am used to rocky, tech and nice long epics.

I have two young children and my wife and myself would prefer a more "busy" town with quite few things to do.

Thanks for taking the time to even read this! Hope to get some good replies!

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Asheville or Greenville are your best bets. But the locals don't have much love for anything Jersey. Check the sticky at the top of the page. Plan a visit. Go from there.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Big Mac

As mentioned, consider Asheville. Close to trails and plenty to do.

Rogue Exterminator
    Best trails are Western NC (Asheville area).
    Depending on what you do for a living though, the pay scales can be a little crappy.

Greenville SC isn't far. About 1-2 hours to most the trails.
    Charlotte NC has some decent riding and about 2 hours to great riding.

If you reason to move is mainly for the outdoors though you for sure want Asheville or the surrounding areas.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Asheville and Greenville would both be good choices. Greenville is about an hour from Dupont and Pisgah and has Paris mountain there for after work rides.

mtbr member
    The hardest part about the move will be learning to drive properly

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Great info and it is much appreciated. I work in IT and i usually drive about an hour to work now and live about 20 minutes from ringwood NJ trails. I have read a lot about Greenville being a great place to live.

I think i would prefer to be about an hour from great riding and closer for training and fitness type trails.

The wife and I have been getting pretty excited about doing this. Can't wait to come down, visit and take a damn ride!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is tough to get a job in Asheville (I'm in IT as well). Greenville would be a decent choice. Check out Chattanooga (awesome xc and dh) and Knoxville. Chattanooga seems to be in need of quality IT people. Great downtown and tons of other outdoor pursuits (rock climbing, kayaking, fishing/boating, etc). No state sales tax in TN either which is nice. Hooking up with a recruiter in your areas of interest will help a bunch. That is how a got a job in Chattanooga, when I lived there.

Super Clyde

There's a lot of IT jobs in the Raleigh area, but the trails can't hold a stick to Asheville. I'm sure there are a fair number of IT jobs in Charlotte as well.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is there any truth to the trails in and around Charlotte actually being challenging? I would imagine seeking an IT job around that area would be easier and maybe travel on the weekends to the bigger riding spots?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There are some decent xc trails. Nothing too rocky (compared to the mountains), but it will keep you entertained and in shape on afterwork rides. Charlotte is the closest major city to the nc mountains, it is around 2ish hours to places like dupont/pisgah. It is about the same distance to the riding in Boone/Banner Elk as well. Lift access at Beech/Sugar and xc/am RKP, Beech and DH at Wilson's.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ freerider View Post
    Is there any truth to the trails in and around Charlotte actually being challenging? I would imagine seeking an IT job around that area would be easier and maybe travel on the weekends to the bigger riding spots?
    "Challenging" is a matter of opinion.
    I have seen long time "can handle anything" mountain bikers say "OMG you ride a bike down that" and I have seen new riders tackle fairly technical stuff without fear.

That being said, western NC "easy trails" seem like black diamonds to other areas.
    Ok, maybe not quite that bad but you better like climbing if you want to bike the western side of the state.

If mountain biking is your main focus then I suggest you grab your bikes and spend a week traveling between Greenville SC, the Triangle area of NC, Charlotte NC and Western NC.

You may find biking here is too much for you on a daily basis and you like the other areas better. Then again you may find the other areas boring and prefer to live here even if it means having to step out of your comfort zone for employment or pay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    With 2 children MTB could never be my main focus. That would be sadistic. However, I do enjoy challenging myself and fitness is a priority(see the two children comment).

I guess, all of that being said, i would like to be able to ride frequently and have a blast doing it.

Rogue Exterminator
    Give the children up for adoption.

Robtre
    OP- Your life sounds a lot like mine. In 2010 I moved here from Milwaukee WI for the same reasons. I am married and have 2 young kids 3y/o boy and 5 y/o girl. Mostly I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to grow up in a state that has a lot to offer. Cali or Colorado would have been my first choice, but I have family in SC that I wanted to be close to. So 4 years here I will offer my opinion:
    Charlotte NC:
    great job market
    great area to raise a family
    cost of living is really good coming from NJ
    local trails are ok. You really need a couple bikes. I ride SS rigid 29er locally, rolling hills short climbs mildly technical. CX bike or road bike is in order because trails close with the mere mention of rain.Based on your MTBR name, Charlotte local trails will bore you. Mountains on Western NC are amazing 2-3 hours drive depending on how deep you want to go.

Asheville NC:
    Amazing area
    amazing place to raise a family
    cost of living is a little more $$$
    job outlook is weak
    Proximity to amazing trails and other outdoor activities the best. Road bike and Mountain bike are in order, along with kayak, golf clubs, climbing equipment, camping gear, fishing gear etc. etc.

Greenville SC:
    probably middle ground
    Great job market, Greenville is growing
    Amazing place to raise a family
    Cost of living is low
    Greenville SC is a special place. People are great, friendly, welcoming, cycling community is strong. Local trail system is good Closer proximity to Asheville greatness 1-2 hr drive to the best NC trail systems.

I love Charlotte and I love NC, but someday I will move to SC and I hope it will be Greenville area.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    It is tough to get a job in Asheville (I'm in IT as well). Greenville would be a decent choice. Check out Chattanooga (awesome xc and dh) and Knoxville. Chattanooga seems to be in need of quality IT people. Great downtown and tons of other outdoor pursuits (rock climbing, kayaking, fishing/boating, etc). No state sales tax in TN either which is nice. Hooking up with a recruiter in your areas of interest will help a bunch. That is how a got a job in Chattanooga, when I lived there.
    I think what you meant is TN does not have an individual income tax. However they do have a tax on investment income such as interest/dividends. TN sales tax is 9%+ in most cities and just like other states without an individual income tax, there are plenty of other taxes to make up for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Western NC is horrible, stay away!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow,

Some great information there. Charlotte seems to be the most likely landing spot. maybe a little west of Charlotte to keep that drive to the MTB trails a little easier to handle. Hey, i know people that commute 2 hours to work. i should be able to drive two hours to get to those trails. I have a stumpjumper fsr, a Misfit SS and a specialized Road bike. I'm pretty well equipped to get something going wherever i end up i guess.

I know it seems selfish in many ways but losing 3 months to a winter off the bike just does not compute with me.

As for family, we really only seem them on holidays and special occasions now anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Western NC is horrible, stay away!
    And stay away from Raleigh too.

We're full.