Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    dead weight
    Dec 2003

Are there too many races in Pisgah?

I'm still forming my opinion but am interested in what others think, especially those who are not race promoters and don't participate in the races. There are a lot of races in the Ranger and Grandfather districts these days compare to 10 or even 5 years ago. So much that there's been posts complaining about race tape, posts about racer etiquette, a post by a promoter asking about tape cleanup, and concentration of traffic and user conflict. I'm sure the race promoters and race participants don't think there are too many races, but what about the other mountain bikers... your thoughts?

Jack
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Most of the races have people spread out over a lot of trail, so unless someone is trying to hike say Cove Creek at the start of the Swank, I don't think that racers really interfere with other forest users very much.

I do like the recent trend of promoters to offer some shorter events. Not all of us are cut out for 60-70 miles of Pisgah in one day. Races like the 55 and the new Couch Potato give more people a chance to finish an event.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Big Gulps, Alright!
    How many races are there?
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    These are the ones I can think of:

P36 (hours not miles)
    PMBAR
    P111
    P55

Jerdon Mtn. Challenge
    ORAMM

ATR Races in Spring and Fall

Pisgah Stage Race (5 days)

Couch Potato
    Swank
    Double Dare

Monster Cross (no trails involved)

Did I miss anything?

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't think there are too many and I don't race (although I may do one for the fun of it).
    I have encountered a few racers on the trails but it has never been an issue.
    As far as race tape goes, other than during active races, I have not seen it other than during active races and it really does not bother me.

Most the complaints about races, race tape, etc are probably from people that have nothing better to do.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I can see why some people would be upset by a few hundred racers coming down the trail as they hike, since it could detract from the experience of being "away from it all."
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

drunken pirate
    Races are inherently good for the sport and the region. The few negative impacts of races are greatly out weighed by the positive.

The biggest problem - poor trail etiquette - is representative of mountain bikers in the region as a whole and is far from limited to the race environment. If anything I think races are the perfect opportunity to try and teach proper trail etiquette. Last week I rode in Bent Creek and saw more bad behavior by mountain bikers there than I ever have seen at a race.

I do think that the local race market has reached its saturation point though.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Most the complaints about races, race tape, etc are probably from people that have nothing better to do.
    Bingo.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Last week I rode in Bent Creek and saw more bad behavior by mountain bikers there than I ever have seen at a race.
    +1. I mainly ride on the East side of town where other riders are so rare you always wave and say "Hi." When I'm at Bent Creek, I make a game out of counting how many people completely ignore waves. The place often has a big 'roadie' vibe.

On the other hand, when I race, I've encountered some of the best manners I've ever seen on bikes.

mtbr member
    I started riding seriously in 1994 in Arizona, participating/ sucking in one of the premier XC series of all time (Cactus Cup). We also had one the original endurance events around the Peaks in Flagstaff.
    I moved here in 1997; there were no races on the good trails. None. Zero. So many great trails, but I remember riding around fantasizing about races that could be held. Knobscorcher at Tsali was it and there'd be a hundred plus in the Sport Class. Camp Carolina had already quit hosting, I think.
    Then, slowly, races started popping up. Entrepeneurs figured out what the rules were. Land managers started working with the entrepeneurs. The free market has supported events as they developed. If it becomes "too much" either the land managers or said free market will tell us so.
    Enjoy what we got, because eventually it's going to change.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    I can see why some people would be upset by a few hundred racers coming down the trail as they hike, since it could detract from the experience of being "away from it all."
    How many times have you been in the forest during a race and been passed by a few hundred racers?

Rogue Exterminator
    Last week I rode in Bent Creek and saw more bad behavior by mountain bikers there than I ever have seen at a race.
    Not saying I don't see bad etiquette but I ride Bent Creek all the time and I do not see a lot of it out there. When I do, it seems to normally be by somebody who is new on a bike. The reality is you can't expect trail etiquette to be instinctive. It has to be learned.

Of course there are several out there that know the rules of etiquette and yet still ignore them and you may have bumped in to a series of them that day. lol

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I started riding seriously in 1994 in Arizona, participating/ sucking in one of the premier XC series of all time (Cactus Cup). We also had one the original endurance events around the Peaks in Flagstaff.
    I moved here in 1997; there were no races on the good trails. None. Zero. So many great trails, but I remember riding around fantasizing about races that could be held. Knobscorcher at Tsali was it and there'd be a hundred plus in the Sport Class. Camp Carolina had already quit hosting, I think.
    Then, slowly, races started popping up. Entrepeneurs figured out what the rules were. Land managers started working with the entrepeneurs. The free market has supported events as they developed. If it becomes "too much" either the land managers or said free market will tell us so.
    Enjoy what we got, because eventually it's going to change.
    Wolf Laurel and Cataloochie both hosted a race series in the 90's. but I agree with what you say here, especially the part about racing being an educational opportunity concerning trail etiquette. And that is something that we really need around here.

mtbr member
    You should especially agree with me sucking in 1994. I believe I finished DFL in three consecutive events. That takes its own set of skills.

Big Mac

Not saying I don't see bad etiquette but I ride Bent Creek all the time and I do not see a lot of it out there. When I do, it seems to normally be by somebody who is new on a bike. The reality is you can't expect trail etiquette to be instinctive. It has to be learned.

Of course there are several out there that know the rules of etiquette and yet still ignore them and you may have bumped in to a series of them that day. lol
    I see plenty of pusquits at BC. But I see them everywhere. The ratio of pusquits to good guy is probably the same, BC just has so many more users that the pusquit numbers can sometimes be staggering.

thecentralscrutinizer
    How many times have you been in the forest during a race and been passed by a few hundred racers?
    Little for instance.

Someone wants to hike from the bottom of Heartbreak to the parkway. They decide they are going to do this the same day as ORAMM, unknowingly. So you're telling me it's not possible that they are going to be passed by a shitload of racers (X out of 500 total)? Really? Think it's not possible?

I'm not against racing. I have every intention of being one the few hundred this year.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

Rogue Exterminator
    I suppose it "could" happen.

mtbr member
    I do think that we (mountain bikers) beat up the trails, more so than other user groups, and more so when a large group of people ride a concentrated set of trails in poor conditions. This does serve purpose as my own moral dilemma.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    I get passed by hundreds of racers every time I enter a race.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by "CHIEF" View Post
    I do think that we (mountain bikers) beat up the trails, more so than other user groups, and more so when a large group of people ride a concentrated set of trails in poor conditions. This does serve purpose as my own moral dilemma.
    Yes, but I believe the promoters also pay money to the forest service.
    I have also seen crews stay behind to work/repair the trail after the race.
    Not to mention I believe many mountain bikers also do a lot of volunteering to repair trails at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I get passed by hundreds of racers every time I enter a race.
    lol, does it upset you or are you ok with it?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    pusquits
    I gotta ask...what's a "pusquit?" Googled and and all I got were your posts and some French folks.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    I gotta ask...what's a "pusquit?" Googled and and all I got were your posts and some French folks.
    Ha! It's a word I made up years ago. A pusquit takes many meanings, but basically it's a doo doo head. A turd of sorts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have to disagree with you on that one. Horses have done way more damage to trails than bikes.

Lack of trail etiquette is an issue for sure, but like others have said, it isn't limited to the races. Races bring tourists and money to the area, and let people know that mountain biking is a big part of the community.

Big Mac

You don't wanna be a pusquit.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Horses have done way more damage to trails than bikes.
    I will agree and disagree.

I single horse does do way more damage than a single bike.
    However, I would image the as a whole it may be the other way around.

I just wish the horses were made to wear bun-bags.
    I get tired of dodging horse poop.

mtbr member
    lol, does it upset you or are you ok with it?
    I am pretty used to it by now. I don't so much "race" as pay money to get my butt handed to me by the whole field.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am pretty used to it by now. I don't so much "race" as pay money to get my butt handed to me by the whole field.
    Well maybe the next time you race, you should let me know.
    That way one of us won't be last.

thecentralscrutinizer
    lol I keep telling myself "I'm doing it for the t-shirt."
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You should especially agree with me sucking in 1994. I believe I finished DFL in three consecutive events. That takes its own set of skills.
    I hear ya, I finished first one year at the aforementioned Wolf Laurel race in some junior division, then DFL the next year after almost dying from an asthma attack Fun times, but that was it for me and racing.

mtbr member
    Well maybe the next time you race, you should let me know.
    That way one of us won't be last.
    Due to some technical difficulty with my brain back in February, I am signed up for ORAMM. I figure with 500 people, there has to be at least one guy from Florida who shows up with the wrong gears and I pass him at the very end to come in 499th.

mtbr member

Re: Are there too many races in Pisgah?

Not from here, but... race tape and gu packs left on the trail beyond race weekend is litter. It is not, and never will be, okay. Responsible promoters don't let it happen. Responsible racers don't race with irresponsible promoters.

Those who litter in the woods don't belong there, MTBer or not.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Not from here, but... race tape and gu packs left on the trail beyond race weekend is litter. It is not, and never will be, okay. Responsible promoters don't let it happen. Responsible racers don't race with irresponsible promoters.

Those who litter in the woods don't belong there, MTBer or not.
    Thanks for your input, but I haven't really seen where that has been a huge issue here.
    Pisgah Production probably does most the races here and I think Eric does his very best to leave as little impact on the forest. Also seen a few other races and have seen little to no evidence a race ever happened the next day.

Seriously as far as I have seen, I say kudos to the promoters.

drunken pirate
    The two riders who poached a long stretch of the Art Loeb on Friday got way more negative attention from other users than any race in the area...

On a somewhat related not,e the Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards, SAWS, had two representative volunteer rangers at Ivestor Gap on Saturday working to help provide information and education to users entering the Shining Rock Wilderness. That Wilderness, which in recent years has not been very Wild at all, was in better shape than I have ever seen it before. It appears their education efforts are working.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I disagree about "other user groups" as well. Horses cause massive damage, way more than bikes could ever do.

But...your mention of large groups in poor conditions is exactly what I was thinking on the way down Black mtn a couple of weeks ago. Is that mile-long rut caused by recent storms? Or recent storms with an extra 100 riders who wouldn't normally have gone out in those conditions? I'm not saying races contribute to that, I'm just asking the question.

mtbr member
    To me, the point on horses and bikes, including racers, is volume. W/o mountain bikes, how many people would be at, say, Five Points in Bent Creek on a given weekend? I'd guess less than 20...rather than the hundreds who do pass through. The reason why bikes are often picked on by other user groups is the volume increase we have created, not single user damage.

Don't get me wrong...I fall firmly into the "using the land protects the land" camp and an NOT complaining about the increased volume.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Races are inherently good for the sport and the region.
    How are races good for the sport and region? Does it boil down to money?
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    How are races good for the sport and region? Does it boil down to money?
    I know you asked driftwood this question, but let me ask you this. Is NASCAR good for the automobile industry and rednecks? Is the Kentucky Derby good for equestrians and Kentucky? Is the NFL good for football and a city like Green Bay?

Racing adds legitimacy to a sport. People see a mountain bike race, and they see it as important, at least compared to some random riders running them off of the trail. Sure, it brings money to the region, but it also brings riders into the area, which shows the community that mountain biking is relevant. Will it upset some people? Of course. I've had to change my riding plans when I realized that a race was going on. Is it good for the trails? Not directly, but if the community sees mountain biking as a fixture of the region, then more money and focus may be spent on the trails. Racing can help put Pisgah on the map as a mountain bike destination.

If you want mountain biking to grow, or even maintain its existence in western NC, racing done properly can help achieve that. I for one would love more trails, more riders, and more acceptance in the community. I don't think I'm alone, here.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    I disagree about "other user groups" as well. Horses cause massive damage, way more than bikes could ever do.
    A single horse does cause way more damage than a single bike.
    Probably more that 10 bikes for that matter.
    However as a whole like mentioned it wouldn't me surprised if mountain bikes do cause more damage.

That being said mountain bikers as a whole probably volunteer more time and money on to the trails than any other group. Of course we are also probably the number one users of the trails.

Also keep in mind that I would imagine even though we do damage that if it was not for our use of the trails, many of them would also fade away since many of the more obscure ones do not get a lot of foot or equestrian traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would still argue that the majority of trail damage is done by horses. The trails that I consider being the most damaged and unsustainable include Jim Branch in Dupont, Trace Ridge, and Upper Black Mountain/Clawhammer. My untrained eyes tell me that the ruts were originally caused by horses. While I realize that the nature of the trails would lead to erosion over time without any trail users, it's pretty obvious that it was horses that caused premature wear and tear. You can still see the hoof marks and shapes at the top of the ruts!

I haven't been here all that long, and I'm assuming that other trails have undergone revisions and armoring (such as Ridgeline), but the most rutted out and damaged trails in my opinion just happen to see a relatively high number of equestrians.

Rogue Exterminator
    Some of the most rutted trails I have seen never see a horse and some never see a bike or only seasonally see bikes. Go hike Cat Gap near the fish hatchery and you will know what I mean. It is a hike only trail except from Oct 15 through April 15 when it is open to bikes also. (that is just one of many examples).

Also trails that see more equestrian traffic generally speaking also see more bike and hike traffic too. So that being said, you can't automatically point the finger.

I would be curious to see what the per user impact is and a ratio of mountain bike traffic to equestrian traffic.

drunken pirate
    Cat Gap is far from eroded. But there are many hiking only trails that are severely eroded. Section 3 of the Art Loeb, for example, is full of erosion ditches that are often four feet deep and go on for hundreds of yards at a time. The erosion on that trail is similar to the erosion that is seen on Black Mtn. between Pressley Gap and the Turkey Pen Gap intersection with one big exception: the Art Loeb is not nearly as braided or wide in those erosion areas as Black Mtn. That stretch of Black is twenty feet wide in places with lines all over the place because mountain bikers have been leaving the trail due to the erosion and as a result a big section of the mountain is becoming one big erosion gully. Hikers on the Art Loeb stick to the erosion gullies (for the most part) and the erosion is limited to the trail itself (for the most part). Black Mtn. is quite simply an embarrassing mess. Cat Gap will eventually look the same way unless it sees maintenance and unless mountain bikers stop leaving the trail to avoid the water bars. The unwillingness of many mountain bikers to ride over obstacles or dismount for them is causing a lot of damage to our trails. Cutting water bars is one of the worst things you can do to a trail. The damage isn't done by singular users, it is done by mountain bikers as a group, and with heavy mountain bike traffic in the area damage is occurring at an alarming rate.

We can try and insist and pretend that horses do more damage but there are a whole lot more bikes, and bike trails, than horses and at some point we are going to have to step up and try and lessen the impact our bikes have on the trails we travel.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

thecentralscrutinizer
    Due to some technical difficulty with my brain back in February, I am signed up for ORAMM. I figure with 500 people, there has to be at least one guy from Florida who shows up with the wrong gears and I pass him at the very end to come in 499th.
    Good luck in the race.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

Big Mac

When did mountain bikers become lazy, pansies? Avoiding obstacles, water, water bars, mud, and anything that may be considered difficult. We seem to have become, at least to some degree, a group of whiny azz candya$$es.

mtbr member
    Obstacles interupt my flow, brah. How am I supposed to ride the trail like a pump track if there's a water bar in my way? I mean, what do you expect me to do- develop some actual technical bike handling skills?

Big Mac

Obstacles interupt my flow, brah. How am I supposed to ride the trail like a pump track if there's a water bar in my way? I mean, what do you expect me to do- develop some actual technical bike handling skills?
    OMG! I know right. I just want to shred the mountain. You know attack the gnar with like minded shredders that are as cool as me.

Big Mac

In all seriousness Mike Brown you bring up a valid point. That it would seem we have overwhelming numbers of uneducated, unskilled riders on our trails. The question is, what do we do about it?

mtbr member
    Cat Gap is far from eroded. But there are many hiking only trails that are severely eroded. Section 3 of the Art Loeb, for example, is full of erosion ditches that are often four feet deep and go on for hundreds of yards at a time. The erosion on that trail is similar to the erosion that is seen on Black Mtn. between Pressley Gap and the Turkey Pen Gap intersection with one big exception: the Art Loeb is not nearly as braided or wide in those erosion areas as Black Mtn. That stretch of Black is twenty feet wide in places with lines all over the place because mountain bikers have been leaving the trail due to the erosion and as a result a big section of the mountain is becoming one big erosion gully. Hikers on the Art Loeb stick to the erosion gullies (for the most part) and the erosion is limited to the trail itself (for the most part). Black Mtn. is quite simply an embarrassing mess. Cat Gap will eventually look the same way unless it sees maintenance and unless mountain bikers stop leaving the trail to avoid the water bars. The unwillingness of many mountain bikers to ride over obstacles or dismount for them is causing a lot of damage to our trails. Cutting water bars is one of the worst things you can do to a trail. The damage isn't done by singular users, it is done by mountain bikers as a group, and with heavy mountain bike traffic in the area damage is occurring at an alarming rate.

We can try and insist and pretend that horses do more damage but there are a whole lot more bikes, and bike trails, than horses and at some point we are going to have to step up and try and lessen the impact our bikes have on the trails we travel.

I agree with most of what you say DW but I would avoid the sweeping statement that Mountain bikes do more damage than horses on trails. Perhaps in your specific area but the research is showing the opposite is true on a whole.

http://www.uvm.edu/~snrvtdc/trails/e...ctofhikers.pdf

I do appreciate your comments on Black mountain. We did the 55k there a while back and was shocked at the level of erosion on that trail. At some point the FS will step in and close the trail. We had a similar situation where I live in where they closed an entire system (Telico) due to erosion concerns. While this was a bit different as it involved ORV trails it does show that when the FS gets a hair it can move very quickly to shut down systems.

We need to police ourselves and respect the opportunity we have to ride these trails.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I definitely don't want to blame everything on horses. There is obviously a lot of damage caused by mountain bikers. Especially inexperienced riders. I wouldn't put lazy riders in there. I'm lazy, but I find it much more inconvenient to actually dismount and walk my bike rather than try to ride over something! We need inexperienced and beginner riders if we want mountain biking to continue to grow, much like we need racing. Unfortunately, many of the trails were designed without much thought about a multitude of trail users. It's the trails that need to be redesigned, like it or not. There will always (hopefully) by inexperienced mountain bikers, horses, and bad weather.

mtbr member
    The change in new trail design I do not agree with , except on trails rated beginner/easy, is designed ride arounds. This debate has been re-hashed over and over again, but MOST people will not bother to learn the skills to ride a challenging section of trail if there's an easier option. The beauty of the rock gardens on Pilot is you HAVE to ride them or walk them- there's no easy option. Keep the ride-arounds to beginner/easy trails and choke the more/most difficult ones so that sustainable, challenging lines are the only options. That's how riders learn the skills- because they have to.
    To bring this thread back to topic, this applies to racers too. If a ride-around is faster, a racer will take it even if he/she has the skills to ride the more challenging line. Choke the more/most difficult trails down so that racers have to follow the challenging line. It's equal for everyone and, when done properly, can prevent trail creep, braiding, and all that other stuff that's "bad."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't want the technical obstacles removed, either. I completely agree about forcing people to stay on line, if possible. I was referring to designing the trails to handle erosion better. With trails like Trace Ridge and Black Mountain just running down the path of least resistance, it won't take long for the trail to rut out and erode away. I'm not saying the trails need to be easier. I'm saying they need to be designed to be sustainable for all users, including racers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast