ids
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Ten days in Mount Airy...

My wife and I are heading back to MA for the holidays. I've decided to bring my Enduro and try to make a couple day trips to Boone/Blowing Rock, and Southern VA. Any suggestions for things in those areas? I'd prefer more techy trails, but I'm open for anything... I haven't ridden anything out that way yet.
    cheers
    -isaac
    Last edited by ids; 12-17-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: check notification preferences

Rock Gardener
    Sep 2005
    Definitely need to ride Warrior Creek in North Wilkesboro. It's not technical, except for the Headwaters Loop, but very fast with lots of fun berms. Also, Dark Mtn and OVT trails in the same area.

Rocky Knob in Boone is also a blast, if the trail is not closed due to weather. It is more technical and more climbing with an awesome downhill, and great skills areas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Warrior Creek and OVT are the way to go if you are heading towards Boone.
    Mount Airy has upgraded Westwood park and is a great place to kill couple of hours.
    Dobson has expanded Fisher River park and is a 35min + loop. Still full of roots though.

mtbr member
    Say hello to Gomer and Floyd while you are there.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Wilson's nothing else mention is tech whatsoever

lcc
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just down the hill by King, at the base of Hanging Rock...Moore Springs Trails. They are fairly new....I believe there are three loops but I'm not positive....there are trails on both sides of the road at the parking area. I've only been twice, and done the same (main) loop right from the parking area....very good combo of stuff, flows really well with lots of climbs/descents, rock gardens, bridges, etc. If you're from Mt. Airy or have been in this area at all, then for comparison these are way more technical than Tanglewood, Hobby Park, etc.

Go to their Facebook page, MooreSpringsTrails, and read up. The builders used a trail-building machine so lots of turns are bermed. Overall a great mix of stuff and technically way more advanced than I am at this point. Sounds like it is up your alley. Directions will be on the FB page, but basically for you, come down the hill to King on 52, take 66 North and turn right on Moore Springs Road. Parking is on the right past the 4-H campground, marked by an old house/barn at the parking area.

There have been hardcore guys there (local shop owners, racers, etc.) the two times I've been there and they love it. It seems like the "spot" right now. Good luck!

Oh, there are YouTube videos, too, under Moore Springs Trails, etc.

ids
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks all for the info. I have ridden the westwood trails the last couple days, and was going to drive down to MST this morning... But am holding off for the rain to slow a little. I don't know how quick to shut the trails down they are there. But I remember from living in charlotte, they were pretty on top of it. Aside from that I'd feel bad destroying a trail that I didn't maintain if it were open this morning... My tires eat things up. I put a set of the specialized Hillbilly's on 2.3 rear, 2.5 front. So much fun around here... I feel like a motorcycle.
    Hopefully I'll get down some other day for more riding. It's a nice reprieve from the desert riding in Phoenix. And there are trees and leaves here.

Merry Christmas folks.

lcc
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are you still in the area? Did you ride Moore Springs yet? I'm anxious to hear how the trails were after the storm and what you thought of them.