Official Cooler Inspector

Swank vs Football vs 60 Mins

My whole evening seems to be in a holding pattern. Can I get some Swank results, at least!?!

LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am sure its not the results your looking for but.....

My first Swank,
    My first time riding in this area (I live in Black Mountain)
    My first Mountain bike race.... :-)

and I finished in about 6:10. At aide station 3 (12 miles from the end) I asked how many riders had passed and he told me about half so I am pretty stoked to see how I did. Especially since I have a ridiculous wreck on Farlow Gap, go figure.

~m

Official Cooler Inspector
    Awesome! Newbie race comments are mo'better than those boring local snagger baggers. Even with the Farlow Fall, you are a winner.

Game is tied. I give up.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    Someone else had to take 121st place this year, as I did not race. I bet there were some cold feet today.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Someone else had to take 121st place this year, as I did not race. I bet there were some cold feet today.

My feet weren't too cold, but the vicious cycle of sweating on the climbs and freezing on the descents took it's toll on me.

eschewing obfuscation
    carey lowery crushed the women's field, taking 1st and 18th overall.
    1. sam k
    2. wes d
    3. jacob m
    4. geoff b.
    5. andy a.
    awesome race, as always. 4:37 for me; that was 38th. sam beat wes by :04 sec, gaining the smallest gap coming down cove creek by riding that short, super gnar bridge (whereas wes walked it, whereas i cartwheeled down it). wes' performance was incredible (roughly 3hrs. 30min), particularly as he did it less than a week after winning double dare with geoff b (who broke a rib on farlow and still crushed it himself). great conditions once we got going. a bit wet on butter, but otherwise dry, fast and cool. a fine day to share pisgah with 150 riders. great support from many...
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

consistent default champ
    I may have taken your 121st spot. 6:27:34. Some people were behind me but not that many. I did unfortunately stick my foot in a creek but it wasn't cold till the temps started dropping after 2:30. Then the sweat soaked clothes and creek soaked foot sucked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First mtb race and unofficial time was 6:32. Still alive this morning. Thanks to all the support and the riders for making a fun day of downhill riding in pisgah. Made the climbs well worth it. Next year farlow will be mine. Thanks to my bike for tossing me only a handful of times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mohaupt
    I am sure its not the results your looking for but.....

My first Swank,
    My first time riding in this area (I live in Black Mountain)
    My first Mountain bike race.... :-)

and I finished in about 6:10. At aide station 3 (12 miles from the end) I asked how many riders had passed and he told me about half so I am pretty stoked to see how I did. Especially since I have a ridiculous wreck on Farlow Gap, go figure.

~m

Hey, Man--if you finished 6 hrs 10, you were the dude who rode with me for most of Farlow & the last stretch on 225 back down to Cove Creek & finish line. I didn't crash on Farlow but you sure made up your time on the climb up 275! It was fun, hope to see you on the trails again?

BrianK
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

mtbr member
    Watching the Obama interview on 60 minutes was definitely more interesting (and highly informative) than wondering about Swank results.
    Sounds like fun between Sam and Wes, though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This was my first time doing the Swank 65 and riding these trails. It was a kick in the pants to say the least. I struggled with horrible cramping after the climb up to Farlow Gap. It made walking very very difficult. I managed a 5:03:44 so, over all I'm pretty happy with the results. I will defiantly be better prepared next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Watching the Obama interview on 60 minutes was definitely more interesting (and highly informative) than wondering about Swank results.
    Watching them rail the rock wall descent on Farlow seconds apart sure did suck.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This too was my first run at SWANK. I finished in 6:52. Cramping and Farlow aside, the ride was great, and I am looking forward to next year. 3:30 win time is insane, just like to little less then 5 hour finish time of ORAMM, just don't know how these guys and gales do it. I guess taking chances pays off. Just happy to ride and have a good time. Cold, wet, and painful makes for a better day then sitting in front of the boob tube.

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Watching them rail the rock wall descent on Farlow seconds apart sure did suck.

the crowd at the rock wall of farlow was awesome! between the vuvezela horns, the hootin' and hollerin' and cheerin' and general spectator-tomfoolery, i've never been so pumped to ride that section of trail; it was a surreal scene. hearing the horns from half a mile away made for quite an experience, and seeing everyone there - jonathon in particular - in their raucous state was rad indeed.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Here are some pics from the start and rest stop #1 (the sign post says 7mi on the flip side).

I didn't get everyone, and many riders are sort of blurred, but otherwise I did a great job...
    http://tinyurl.com/233k799

and I did a nice ride the day before the race because I didn't race...
    http://tinyurl.com/24jrs4y

The start was also at DR (the gps didn't thaw until I put it in my pocket 6 miles into the ride)
    Last edited by 40hills; 11-09-2010 at 06:42 AM.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You still pay attention to that JAKWIPE, he signed the check that destroyed Thrift,Squirrel, and Kitsuma.But seriously I'd like to thank all the riders who plunked down the scratch to provide me with cheap entertainment on Sunday.And next year I assure you there will be MORE COWBELL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish
    You still pay attention to that JAKWIPE, he signed the check that destroyed Thrift,Squirrel, and Kitsuma.But seriously I'd like to thank all the riders who plunked down the scratch to provide me with cheap entertainment on Sunday.And next year I assure you there will be MORE COWBELL.

The only valid opinions are well rounded informed ones. I also periodically listen to local conservative talk radio so I can hear what the "other side" is saying. After all, they're so much more rational, polite, and compassionate...

I hope going political gets me banned...

Big Mac
    The only valid opinions are well rounded informed ones. I also periodically listen to local conservative talk radio so I can hear what the "other side" is saying. After all, they're so much more rational, polite, and compassionate...

I hope going political gets me banned...
    Stranger things have happened on this here forum.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish
    What happened to Squirrel? I didn't even realize that Obama was a trail builder. So he has a crew that he paid with a check? Who knew! Close your eyes much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    the crowd at the rock wall of farlow was awesome! between the vuvezela horns, the hootin' and hollerin' and cheerin' and general spectator-tomfoolery, i've never been so pumped to ride that section of trail; it was a surreal scene. hearing the horns from half a mile away made for quite an experience, and seeing everyone there - jonathon in particular - in their raucous state was rad indeed.
    Racous???

Hey I had a 13 year old standing there with me so I kept it PG-13 the entire time. That was hard for me.

I am glad we could assist in the descent. I had an air horn but I went and shot that whole wad when Sam and Wes went cruisin by. So the rest of you only got the wind instruments including Shrimp's brass horn. Its amazing how far the sound travels.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

consistent default champ
    It was great to see you out there! I was feeling pretty unhappy about trying not to roll down the mountain with my bike (it wasn't walking, it was working against gravity) so it was good to have something make me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Racous???

Hey I had a 13 year old standing there with me so I kept it PG-13 the entire time. That was hard for me.

I am glad we could assist in the descent. I had an air horn but I went and shot that whole wad when Sam and Wes went cruisin by. So the rest of you only got the wind instruments including Shrimp's brass horn. Its amazing how far the sound travels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    It was great to see you out there! I was feeling pretty unhappy about trying not to roll down the mountain with my bike (it wasn't walking, it was working against gravity) so it was good to have something make me laugh!
    +1^10 on the support factor! Thanks for the cheers. It sounded like quite a crowd from up on top of Farlow and I swear I never rode so much of Farlow overall - mainly due to your enthusiasm and the fact that my quad cramps made walking hurt so much I had no choice but to ride.
    many gears, some pies