Thread: Super D

Tree Thumper

Super D

is dark mountain doing their winter super D race? or are there any other super D races in the area?
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Man I'm dying to do a Super D. Never heard of one around here though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Tree Thumper
    in 2008 Dark mtn had 3 super D races, but I can't find any information on if they are continuing it
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I emailed them about it sometime in the past. Basically the guy that organized it has moved eastward and no one else stepped up to organize the events. I was looking forward to them too.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    titties and car parts
    Last edited by park baker; 12-01-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Can one of you guys step one up then. Anywhere close by would be great. I would really like to race one. What about at Massunutten?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Was out on the little DH course yesterday. It could use some work especially on the log jumps as they are pretty deteriorated. I may try to go work on them a bit if the weather clears up.

I'm still not quite clear on how Super D works. What would be the starting line at dark mountain?

Tree Thumper
    I believe the starting line was on top of the down hill course, and the route took you to the bottom and then the XC part of the super D had everyone climb back to the top
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    That first and second tabletop need their lips back too
    I still love the little hip jump at the end

mtbr member
    From my understanding a proper super d is 80% descending, 20% climbing, or there abouts. I'm trying to think how they would string the course at Dark Mountain - to me it seems like that would be more of a XC race w/ a fast downhill course thrown in the middle?

I've only ever done one "super-d" and it was very much un-sanctioned and un-named here, but I can tell you it was super fun and I was surprised at how much it suited me as I'm just mediocre at both descending and climbing...

I would fully support a proper super-d in the area!
    My one says BRAP!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    As I understand it a proper Super D is 12miles or so long. If you start at the top of a mountain you can zig and zag more then a downhill course with some of the turns heading back up the mountain. From what else I have seen you have more single track too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    6 pack super-d?

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Beech Mtn June 18. Long, flowy, beginner friendly, rad

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stackout
    Beech Mtn June 18. Long, flowy, beginner friendly, rad
    Seriously?.... I'm so there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    The Magic Cycles MTB Race Weekend will be Super-D and Short Track on Saturday, and a Maxxis Southern Classic Series XC on Sunday. The SD course will most likely start out flatish on gravel and grass, then drop onto a steep power line trail then head into the woods where there will be a long section of berms getting you down the fall line before hitting a long, flowy single track descent all the way down the back of the mountain. Have not decided on the finish, but most likely a rolling section of jeep road. We'll have a shuttle at the bottom if you are not feeling up to the 3 mile ride either up steep trail (final climb from www.threepeaks.com) or 5 mile ride up less steep pavement (TT from last year's www.tourdulife.com). Right now, the top half of the course is pretty steep and the power line section has some sketchy erosion, so once the snow melts in the Spring, we'll be having a ton of trail days to get it berm'd up and get some water bars in. There is also a 3 mile extension for the XC loop that is flagged out and ready to be cut as well. If you want to stay in the loop, keep an eye on www.pirateraceproductions.com (where you can sign up for our newsletter) or the Pirate Race Productions facebook group. We'll have a website, facebook group, etc for the race up later this winter. Feel free to pm me questions and I'll shoot you my email.