Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Suggestions for New Areas to Map

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  mbmb65 
#1 ·
Can anyone suggest areas to be covered by new map products?

We would like to develop more new maps which would be printed using the same large page size used for both the South Pisgah and Dupont maps. Maps for smaller areas such as Tsali and Uwharrie require using a map scale that results in a smaller size map than would fill the entire side of page.

One possibility is a map that includes a collection of maps for several smaller areas. For example, we might include maps for Tsali, Uwharrie, and a few other areas where people ride and hike, but individually, are not large enough to fill a both sides of the page.

Would a map product like this be useful? Any suggestions?

At Pisgah Map Company we appreciate your input!

#2 ·
I've thought about sending this idea to you or Pete before:
One side: Coleman Boundary
Other side, in quadrants: Alexander, Richmond Hill, Kitsuma. 4th quadrant is directions/legend.

Kind of the "alternatives" that are closest to Asheville and other WNC main trail systems. Plus, it would help me finally produce a quality map of Richmond Hill he self-servingly says...

I also think that an upstate product with Isaqueena, Paris, Croft, and eventually Pleasant ...Grove? Ridge? would be useful.

#6 ·
I think bikers and hikers alike would really appreciate a map of the Montreat/Old TollHeartbreak/Kitsuma/Curtis Creek system. No idea what your aspect ratio is, but something bordered by the parkway (north), 40 (south), curtis creek (east), and route 9/greybeard trail (west).

Montreat does a brisk business in seasonal visitors but the map they publish is fairly weak. I could see your paper maps selling well at their center, esp. if they link/QR code to where they can buy it for their phone.

The knot of fire roads OpenStreetMap shows splitting off of the Old Toll Road and linking over to the Greenway, Jarret Creek Road, and eventually Curtis Creek could make for some great gravel/mtb adventures. I've been wanting to explore the area more but a) there's no good map and b) I don't have time to amateur map it.

#11 ·
IoC - we have done a better job covering Montreat on this map and also include the Ridgecrest trails that link up with Old Toll. We have data on many of the other old roads you mention seeing on OSM however we have to be very careful including roads/trails on our maps that are not in the official USFS inventory. Essentially, you wont' see those roads/trail that go from Old Toll down towards the Greenway and SR1407 simply because they are not 'official' as far as the USFS goes. While it is legal to walk/hike on those trails and anywhere in the forest, it is not legal to ride a bike anywhere other than specifically designated biking trails/roads.

#10 ·
The new map does include Wilson's Creek. One side covers Coleman Boundary (Big Ivy) to Linville while the other side covers Linville to Wilsons. The first side is mostly complete. The second side is coming along but as usual, production is slow. I have shared the digital version with a couple folks so they could provide input. We'll definitely need more input on the Wilson's area.

#12 ·
I'm glad to hear that you're developing a Wilson's creek map. Please update when it's available. I'd also love to see the Montreal area trails mapped. I've ridden kitsuma but haven't ridden Curtis creek, old toll, etc.

Found your Pisgah and DuPont maps to be very helpful when exploring new areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.