mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Suggestions: Family mtb rides near Asheville

Hi

I am going to be in Asheville with family for a day enroute to a different nearby destination. I have an 11 year old and a 8 year old both of whom are very enthusiastic bike riders. I've taken them to some beginner singletrack trails local to where I live (Lake Crabtree) and they have enjoyed it. I was surfing to see if there are any trails near Asheville which would be appropriate for them. I read up on some sites about Brent Creek (Boyd Loop section) as possible candidates but looking at some Youtube videos, though I couldn't easily tell, I got the impression these could be a bit too much for the kids and their bikes (maybe it was the way the videos were shot or these were the harder sections).

It would be great if anyone could shed some light - a part of me wants to just take the bikes along but wifey doesn't want to haul all our bikes four hours if its not worth it for the kids ; in that event maybe we'll plan to visit again with our bikes when they are a couple years older.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Bent Creek is your best bet, especially Boyd Branch, Explorer, and Pine Tree. They can always walk anything they feel sketchy about. When will you be in Asheville? My Wife has a broken foot and would probably be happy to lead you around some of the easier trails.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Going Sat 0ct 26

>>My Wife has a broken foot and would probably be happy to lead you around some of the easier trails

I hope thats not a dig at my riding skills. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hom_tanks View Post
    Going Sat 0ct 26

>>My Wife has a broken foot and would probably be happy to lead you around some of the easier trails

I hope thats not a dig at my riding skills. :-)
    More at her skills with the broken foot.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    More at her skills with the broken foot.
    It wouldn't be too far off if it was a dig either ... FWIW, her broken foot skills are still probably better than mine, hahaha...In the end, for me its all about having good fun like I did when I was a kid. Thanks for the information about the easier trails, Jerry. I'll try to PM you to see if we can sync up. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Park at Hard Times Trailhead. Ride down the gravel road behind the gate. Turn right at the bottom, continue past the bridge all the way to the lake. It's beautiful right here, the fall colors will blow you away, and a great place to stop and play with the kids.

When you get done there, how are your kid's feeling? Want a lot more? Continue past the lake, straight across onto a trail, to a bridge/gate/ parking area. Straight across the gravel road is another gated road- this will take you to the top of Boyd Branch, come down it and go back to the car. Your 8 year old will absolutely be done at this point and it may be too much, so...

If you want an easier ride, start the ride to the lake as described. Then turn around and go back past the road you came down from Hard Times Trailhead. You will come to a gate/ chainlink fence- go through it. You are now on Arboretum property. The lower gravel roads in the Arboretum are all open to bikes and are absolutely the easiest, most family friendly rides that can really be called mountain biking.

Rogue Exterminator
    A little bit further drive but also Consider DuPont.
    Most bang for the buck in scenery and nothing there the kids can not handle with the exception of the Cornmill Shoals side (but you won't accidentally get there).
    Also has a kids skills course that is even fun for adults.

It is however like I said a further drive and will take roughly 45 minutes from Asheville.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    There is the Biltmore House trail system. Pretty easy and lots of other stuff to do if you want to make a day of it.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions - this is great. I have so many good options now, much more than I have time for. Well, that gives me a reason to come back again ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Agree with everything else that has been posted here but wanted to add:

(1) Dupont State Forest has a little bit of everything, including a kid's skills area at the Guion/Sky Valley entrance.

(2) The Biltmore trails are nice and usually pretty deserted but access to the park is pricey unless you've already got a season pass.

(3) Think of Bent Creek as a hillier version of the Crabtree Creek/Umstead/ORC area. The only part of the park I would definitely avoid with kids is Green's Lick, especially if it's wet. The flatter areas around the lake, especially Explorer, are great for newbies.