mtbr member

Sugar Mountain, please help

Some friends and I are wanted to check out Sugar Mountain before the season ends in a couple of weeks. My question is what type of equipment does it demand for the downhill trails? I have 6'' travel Coiler and the other guys mostly have all mountain rigs. Also what is the etiquette on body armor? Most of us have shin and forearm protecors, but no full body armor. Just wanted to get a feel for what we are getting ourselves into.
    Last edited by dingleberry; 08-17-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Philosophizer
    My kid raced the DH and he armored up with knee/shin guards,elbow forearm, full face. He races a 5" enduro so your Coiler should be fine but the place is better suited to full on DH rigs. It's nasty steep,rocky and slick.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

OB1
    mtbr member
    Short trip to the bottom, loooong ride to the top. There are a few DH required short sections(one right at the top in particular) that will challenge your balls no matter what you're riding. I rented a Faith from Clarkes. Worked out great! Of course, Swanson is THE man to see if you do any riding in these parts. I wore a Dainese full armor suit...but I think I was the only one in my group doing that. And I didn't see anyone riding without leg protection. Hope that helps. Good luck! And let us know if you hit that VERY first drop that those guys were getting helivac-ed out from in the comp. It's gnarly! I only hit it once....and I only saw 1 other guy do it. He did it many times well....my one shot belonged on AFV.

mtbr member
    How big is that gnarly drop? I don't get to see too much gnarly stuff here in middle tennessee. As long as its got a good transition, I might give it a shot.

OB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    How big is that gnarly drop? I don't get to see too much gnarly stuff here in middle tennessee. As long as its got a good transition, I might give it a shot.
    What transition. They didn't really "make" a trail. Looks like they just pulled some trees out of the way, and said "go there." I'm sure it will wear in over time. We all spent the most time looking at it with a couple DH racers trying to guess HOW it could be done. All it needs is a few well places shovels of dirt, and some stump grinding. I watched several Winrock regulars say no thanks. When I went (month ago) it was gnarly.

mtbr member
    Count me out on that one from those statements. How does Sugar compare to Windrock? I would think its not as difficult as Windrock, but how different are they?

OB1
    mtbr member
    Sugar just has the one "Windrockish" section. WIndrock is heads and shoulders above Sugar of course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I raced it on an Enduro also and no Armor just a full face. Long ride to the top for sure, 20+ min's for a 5 min ride down . but I still had fun you will enjoy Im sure.