mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Still Open: Pisgah National Forest Trails and Blue Ridge Parkway

Just so there's no confusion, the Parkway is still open to vehicles and the Forest Service has finally issued the following official information. The closures only affect staffed facilities, as expected, but not trails (except volunteer activities). Some campgrounds will even remain open:

Quote Originally Posted by National Forests in North Carolina
    National Forests in North Carolina
    U.S. Forest Service
    160A Zillicoa St.
    Asheville, N.C. 28801
    Online: National Forests in North Carolina - Home

FOREST SERVICE ALERT

Oct. 1, 2013

Most National Forest Facilities Closed

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- Most facilities in the national forests in North Carolina are closed due to a lapse in federal government funding.

The closure affects offices, many campgrounds, day use areas, bathrooms, shooting ranges, off-highway vehicle trails, fee areas and other facilities managed by U.S. Forest Service in the Nantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie, and Croatan National Forests.
    The following campgrounds, operated by concessionaires, will remain open.
    Pisgah National Forest: Black Mountain Campground; Briar Bottom Group Camp; Carolina Hemlocks Recreation; Cove Creek Campground; Davidson River Campground; Kimsey Creek Group Campground; Kuykendall Group Campground; Lake Powhatan Recreation Area; North Mills River Recreation Area; Sunburst Recreation Area; and White Pines Group Campground.
    Nantahala National Forest: Cliffside Day Use Area; Van Hook Glade Campground; and Standing Indian/Kimsey Creek/Hurricane Creek Recreation Complex.

Visitors may still hike, fish and use undeveloped recreational areas of the national forests during the closure period. No restrooms or trash collection will be available at trailheads, and visitors are encouraged to practice Leave No Trace ethics. Only essential Forest Service employees, such as firefighters, will continue working during the closure. All volunteer activities are cancelled.

The National Recreation Reservation Service, available through Back Soon, will also be closed.

For more information about the national forests in North Carolina, visit National Forests in North Carolina - Home.

#

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).
    Forget the politics and go ride!
    Last edited by mtbwnc; 10-01-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Make title more clear

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    how would this affect something like Swank 65 if the closure were to last a month or so?
    "What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

Carbon8er
    You would have to ask Todd about that but I doubt that the Swank will be affected

The trails in Pisgah used by the swank are not closed

I think the areas like Bent Creek or Dupont may or may not be affected.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    You would have to ask Todd about that but I doubt that the Swank will be affected

The trails in Pisgah used by the swank are not closed

I think the areas like Bent Creek or Dupont may or may not be affected.
    Bent Creek is part of Pisgah. DuPont is a state entity, not federal.

Carbon8er
    yeah but bent creek is not what I consider off the beaten track type trails

If you like to go ride where there are lots of people, ride Bent Creek or Dupont

1st time and last time I rode bent creek was maybe 6+ years ago
    I live 5 minutes from the entrance of Pisgah and so I don't really drive way over to Bent Creek to ride

I prefer the Pisgah trails leaving from Turkey Pen, Ranger Station area, Fish Hatchery, Horse stables and pink beds area

I can ride all day over here and not see a single person on some days
    Also, I like to take my two dogs with me sometimes and that's not possible at Dupont

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    yeah but bent creek is not what I consider off the beaten track type trails

If you like to go ride where there are lots of people, ride Bent Creek or Dupont

1st time and last time I rode bent creek was maybe 6+ years ago
    I live 5 minutes from the entrance of Pisgah and so I don't really drive way over to Bent Creek to ride

I prefer the Pisgah trails leaving from Turkey Pen, Ranger Station area, Fish Hatchery, Horse stables and pink beds area

I can ride all day over here and not see a single person on some days
    Also, I like to take my two dogs with me sometimes and that's not possible at Dupont
    What are you going on about? You were confused about the status of bent creek and DuPont. I was clarifying. No one said a thing about the virtues of Pisgah vs. bent creek, crowds etc...

Carbon8er
    It's ok
    Was answering two threads at same time

Too many irons in the fire