Third Degree Hater-Fu

Stiles Cummings?

I heard today that he passed away in an accident. Does anyone have more detail as to what happened?
    I am not a "Role Model"

When did you get here?!?!

that's no good at all....

Wow, I'm speachless... A quick google search brought up a missing person report on him at Yosimite from the end of Sept. If any more info becomes available please let everyone know.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006

Came across this on the Bio-Wheels site...

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    I knew in my heart it wasn't a rumor when I got the call.

The only other information I know was that he was on a camping trip with his brother and went missing.

God Bless and my sincerest condolenses to his family abd friends
    Last edited by bizutch; 10-26-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Official Cooler Inspector
    Sad news. Such a sweet fella.

mtbr member
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well. I had the pleasure of meeting Stiles for the first time this past spring out at Industrynine building the pumptrack. Man, Stiles was a magician with the Bobcat. He was a super nice guy and a great rider and will be greatly missed by everyone. Were gonna miss you bro!
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    From what I have heard, Stiles went camping in Yosemite with his younger brother and his brother's girlfriend. He left camp (I don't know whether he had his bike or not) and didn't come back. The park sent out a search party, but he was missing for a couple weeks. You can find the missing person notice and a picture of Stiles on the Yosemite website. They found his body on Thursday (Oct 12), twenty miles from the campsite. Evidently, he had been cliff climbing and fell into a ravine. He will be cremated, no funeral, memorial services will be in December.

This is all I know. I remember Stiles fondly and I hope we can all keep him alive in our hearts.

~Sarah
    Last edited by spoole; 10-26-2006 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am married to Stiles' mom and can clarify some things for those of you who are devastated by the news of Stiles' death.

Most everything Sarah reports is right on. Stiles did not leave on a bike but did leave without explanation. Anything beyond that is simply speculation and nobody will ever know his destination or his reasons for leaving. The helicopter/dog/foot search was unsuccessful because Stiles had traveled far beyond the search area established by the park service.

If you are reading this page you already know that you can count yourself fortunate if your life was touched by this bright bright light of a man. His energy and exuberance for life have been matched by few others. We love him and miss him desperately.

Peace, Mac
    Last edited by Macmerlin; 11-20-2006 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    macmerlin-
    I wanted to say exactly what you did- rumors like that should never be posted and even if fact, stuff that incredibly personal should probably be kept off the internet anyway. But, not knowing anymore than anybody else, I didn't make the post. Thanks for being strong enough to do so.

For those who would like to see something cool- there's a really nice photo montage of Stiles in The South forum on ridemonkey. Check it out.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I apologize for my previous comment. I did not mean to be disrespectful.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Locally understood. Check you PM.
    Last edited by M-U-M; 10-20-2006 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    To Mac and all of the friends and family of Stiles,

You would not typically catch me on a forum but Stiles is worth a post. My name is Andy and I consider Stiles not only one of my best friends but a brother. I have had the good fortune to know and go through many great adventures with him. He is an incomparable personality and it takes little more than one encounter to know what I am talking about.

Anyway I wanted to share a small story that I think about everyday.

Stiles called me one day while he was living and building trails in BC. He had been practicing, the holy grail of all bike tricks, the back flip, into the foam pit. He said he was days away from taking this trick to the dirt jumps.

Stiles says "Andy, it is easy, all you have to do is totally commit from the beginning."

It was less than 4 days later that I received an email with a video of his first, on dirt, attempt and the landing was perfect.

I had no doubt that he would land the trick, but I think about what he said. "it is easy, all you have to do is commit from the beginning."

I think about how hard that total commitment is and how Stiles followed that in everything he did. I never saw him sing a song, play the drums, ride a bike, act in a play, or even hit on a girl without total commitment from the being. I respected that about him.

I have no major point to make, I just wanted to get across that the details of his death have little importance in comparison to the impact of his life.

We have all lost a rare person and I hope you all have great memories of Stiles to help make it easier to totally commit from the beginning.

My best to all of his family and friends. My thoughts are with you.

Andy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Cup 'o Soup

Much like Andy, I don't frequently apply my words on a forum. This however is a worthwhile way to communicate and I thank him for giving a shout out. I've known Andy through my brother's association with him for only a couple of years, and I can honestly say that while I am now realizing the epic size of Stiles' family, there are only a few true brothers. You are one of them. I just want to say thanks, dude.
    If you got a taste of Stiles along the road, you got 100% juice with no artificial sweeteners. That guy laid it out on the line so many times. He was all about commitment, and I never saw him back down from a challenge. So, yes, while I am sad that he's not with us in the sense that we all are familiar with, I know that he is with me in a whole new way. This is a time for both reflection and appreciation for the time I got to spend with the kid, with the man... It is also a reminder that if we want to make a real difference in this world, we need action. Stiles stood out so much because he approached every step with a purpose, with conviction, and with unwavering faith. He ACTED, and wasn't afraid of the consequences because he made his decisions with his heart. I will gladly carry his spirit on and feel fortunate to have known him... catch up with you later, little bro. peace, y'all.
    Tavis

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

stiles cummings as cousin Kevin

My name is Theresa. I had the privilege of working with Stiles on the musical "Tommy" a couple of years ago. My daughter at first did not want to come see the play because she did not like musicals. She came reluctantly. Then, however, after watching Stiles in his role as Cousin Kevin, she ended up coming to every single show!!! She refused to miss a single one. She and her friend both developed a huge crush on Stiles. I told Stiles that my daughter and her friend were big fans and he was gracious enough to come out and talk to them. That made both of their days. Those girls were walking on air. They even made posters with Stiles name on them and waved them in the air. It was a sight to behold! Stiles definitely had charisma about him. My daughter called me this evening in tears because she had done an internet search on him just out of curiousity and found out the horrible news. She is devastated as am I. He was a wonderful person and even though I had not spoken with him in some time, I will miss him terribly. I am honored that I got a chance to even know such a wonderful person. May he rest in peace.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi, I am one of Ansel's old classmates. My family still lives in the town of Keosauqua and I called home the other day and they told me the devastating news about Stiles. We knew Stiles through music and acting, or goofing off in a hallway. He was an excellent drummer and all around great person. I got to know Stiles a little better when he played a couple roles my dad played in high school and through the community theater. He wasn't into the "clicks" per say. He talked to and treated everyone nicely, if you were having a bad day nine times out of ten Stiles could remedy it. He possessed qualities that dwindle in the population today. He was an all around great guy that is greatly missed by all. We try to ignore the unfortunate small town rumors that always seem to coincide with these unfortunate happenings and anyone who even spent 5 seconds talking to Stiles would know that that is highly unlikely. Mine and my families hearts go out to his family.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Stiles Memorial

I write for Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine and am compiling information for a memorial to be published for Stiles in the next issue. Does anybody want to give me last names or a way of contacting you for quotes? I am so sorry that our world will go on without being graced with all of the love and talent Stiles gave to us.

Bettina

mtbr member
    I want to be like Stiles when I grow up!

You will be missed by all.

Brian

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is this Brian Kingsbury? It's Tavis

mtbr member
    Tavis, it's me bro. This is one of my fav sites!
    Every post and article I've read about Stiles has been about how amazing he was and how much he will be missed. Ever since we taught him swimming lessons I knew he was unique and free spirited, but never knew how much he had affected the people that surrounded him until now. I was able to watch him in one road race in IC a few years ago but never got the chance to see any of his mountain bike races. I would love to have had the chance to ride trails with him. Ever since I found out about him, all that's been on my mind is kicking up some dirt and going bigger than I have been. You need to journey up this way when you come back. You always have a place to stay.
    Kings

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Memorial Service

I know everyone reading this page is scattered all over the country but some folks
    have asked for information about a memorial service for Stiles. There will be a
    memorial service on Sunday 12/10 at 1:00 at the Riverview Club at 217 Riverview
    Drive in Keosauqua, IA for anyone who is interested.

Mac

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Stiles

I was deeply saddened today when I open the new issue of Blueridge Outdoor Magazine and read the news of Stiles passing. I met Stiles Cummings in 1998 or 1999 when he first moved down to work for Cane Creek. From the first introductions I knew I had new incredible friend. As we rode around warming up for race in Sanford, NC we (Defeet MTB Team) were drilling him with questions about himself. We were intrigued by his first name because it was unique like himself. Back in the day, the NC mountain bike race scene was a tight family which included several charasmatic individuals: PB, C, Diamond Dave, Mrs. Fyre, The Cat, Den-o, Sandy, Willow, Canadian Dave and a bunch of other lunatics. We all embraced Stiles as apart of the gang because Stiles was a Chill, Happy-Go-Lucky individual. I am sure that he had or made no enemies because he was a warm hearted and giving individual. One of my fondest memories was the 2001 Cane Creek Finals when he first busted out Kenneth Lee's Tigger outfit to race duals in. We were all so impressed, laughing, cheering and just about crying. They broke the mold when they made Stiles Cumming, you were one of a kind- Rest in Peace my brother!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

sarachef

I am sad to say that I was maybe one of the last people to see Stiles alive. I was camping in Yosemite w/ some friends when Stiles appeared mysteriously at our campsite and asked to warm his feet at our fire. We welcomed him, gave him a cup of mulled wine, and asked about him and his history. We were a little freaked out, as he was wearing a monks robe and no shoes, but as we are open to all types of people and their stories, we were happy to meet and converse with him. 2 days after we left yosemite we received a phone call from the park service asking if we had given him a ride out of the park. We said that we had not, and hoped that he had hitched a ride out w/ someone else, We were concerned because the day we left, it had snowed, and hoped that he was OK. I just learned this weekend that his body was discovered in Oct, and it made me sad. He was a nice kid, and was really just trying to discover himself. I am happy that we conversed and offered him wine even tho we were slightly trepidatious, because we may have been the last people to see him alive. I am very sad at his passing, although I didn't really know him, my friends and I were touched by his presence. ~Sara and Barb

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Crazy timing

I was at a Luau party just last weekend, sipping on my fruity drink, when this guy walks up in a skirt and a pair of pasties covering his nipples. Something about him seemed familiar- he was kinda short (pot, meet kettle) but stocky too- and he had this real positive energy about him.

Turns out it was Stiles' brother- I think Tavis was his name. Super nice guy with a great sense of humor. Made me remember Stiles' story and that I need to refocus on enjoying every minute, and really living life as enthusiastically as I can.
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Stiles

I am Stiles' mother Leilani's brother Michael. I just wanted to thank Sara for her post as I know many of our family members look at the online info sites just to share and reconnect with others who loved Stiles. I have really enjoyed being able to know more about his life in the last many years when he was out making his own way in the world and the real impact he made on others. The last time I saw him was July 28th 06 and as the anniversary of his passing comes closer I really appreciate just a little more news to bring a piece of him back. Thanks

Hey all who read this, I certainly want to encourage new comment, reflection and more treasured memories of our mighty mite! ML