mtbr member

Status of Fontana

Planning a Thanksgiving weekend marathon by going to Tasli and was also contemplating Fontana during that time. Anyone know the conditions over there? Last I heard it was in rough shape with blowdowns and no maintenance, and generally trashed. Is it worth going over there?

Thanks
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

Rogue Exterminator
    Blow downs are generally cleaned up quickly.
    If not by park crews or trail workers then by its users.
    Seeing as by Thanksgiving weekend it will be about 4 weeks since Sandy hit, I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as weather goes, we don't know anything past what the extended forecast tells us.
    As anyone knows trying to predict the weather 2 weeks ahead in the mountains is futile especially this time of year.

That being said, plan for the worse.
    It could be bright and sunny, cold and rainy, or freezing and snowing.
    If you don't like the weather that weekend, then try Bent Creek/Pisgah or Dupont.
    It could be different at each one.

Big Mac
    Fontana is not Bent Creek or DuPont. I haven't been there lately, but generally speaking, that trail system is an abandoned mess. Can't say for sure, but I'd have no reason to think thanksgiving would be any different.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Blow downs are generally cleaned up quickly.
    If not by park crews or trail workers then by its users.
    Seeing as by Thanksgiving weekend it will be about 4 weeks since Sandy hit, I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as weather goes, we don't know anything past what the extended forecast tells us.
    As anyone knows trying to predict the weather 2 weeks ahead in the mountains is futile especially this time of year.

That being said, plan for the worse.
    It could be bright and sunny, cold and rainy, or freezing and snowing.
    If you don't like the weather that weekend, then try Bent Creek/Pisgah or Dupont.
    It could be different at each one.
    Have you been there?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Have you been there?
    To Tsali, no. But I have had friends that have and they said nothing bad.
    I also said "GENERALLY" and never said I saw it first hand.

To Bent Creek and Dupont, yes several times since Sandy and they are both fine.

Anymore questions?

Official Cooler Inspector
    I have an affection for Fontana, that's not necessarily bike related. They know the trails are an asset for biking and hiking, but from what I've seen in the past - it was not one of their priorities. "JP" apparently leads weekly hikes, and as of today - everything is good to go.

Fontana Village Resort. Your Great Smoky Mountain Destination. Fontana Dam, NC
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

Big Mac
    To Tsali, no. But I have had friends that have and they said nothing bad.
    I also said "GENERALLY" and never said I saw it first hand.

To Bent Creek and Dupont, yes several times since Sandy and they are both fine.

Anymore questions?
    Well he asked about the conditions at Tsali, and specifically, Fontana. It's a different world over there.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Well he asked about the conditions at Tsali, and specifically, Fontana. It's a different world over there.
    Actually, he specifically asked about Tsali and is also contemplating Fontana but lets not split hairs.

Yes, trail conditions can be very different between there, Bent Creek, Pisgah and Dupont. Not to mention the fact that it can change in the next couple weeks when he plans on going there.

So does he just not plan to go at all then?
    Or does he plan on going knowing that he has alternatives not too far from his planned destination (one of which is directly on the way).

Lets just put it this way.
    All trails and weather can be iffy in this area this time of year.
    When planning a trip to these parts, you just need to take that in consideration and have alternatives planned out.

mtbr member
    Whoa there fellas, let me clarify. I asked about Fontana. I am going to be at Tasli, and wanted to know if the trail conditions at Fontana were an issue. I had a friend tell me that they had been there several months back and it was a wreck, many blowdowns and other issues. We are renting a cabin near Tasli and I wanted to get the most bang for the buck and add Fontana to the mix. I was just at Tasli 2 weeks ago and all was well.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Don

mtbr member
    The alternative to Fontana is to go to Jackrabbit. Can anyone give info? How far from Tasli?
    Is it worth the time?

Thanks again

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by donwatts View Post
    Whoa there fellas, let me clarify. I asked about Fontana. I am going to be at Tasli, and wanted to know if the trail conditions at Fontana were an issue. I had a friend tell me that they had been there several months back and it was a wreck, many blowdowns and other issues. We are renting a cabin near Tasli and I wanted to get the most bang for the buck and add Fontana to the mix. I was just at Tasli 2 weeks ago and all was well.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Don
    My bad on the mix up.

Don't know what Fontana is currently like.
    But either way, this time of year if you are planning 2 weeks out, have alternatives.

Just ignore mbmb65 and me.
    He has a personal grievance with me because I kill bees.

Rogue Exterminator
    The alternative to Fontana is to go to Jackrabbit. Can anyone give info? How far from Tasli?
    Is it worth the time?

Thanks again
    Jackrabbit is about another hour or so from Tsali.
    As far as it being worth it, that is a matter of opinion.
    The trails are machine cut and many people don't like that.
    Personally, I like a mix of varying types of trails.
    I have heard mixed reviews but yet have heard anyone I ride with suggest going there.
    Of course that may have something to do with having Pisgah, Bent Creek, and Dupont all in our back yard so why travel 4 hours to Jackrabbit.

That being said I personally have never been there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jackrabbit is located near the town of Hayesville, maybe an hour drive from Tsali. The trail system there is around 15 miles, stacked loop design, and is very well maintained. The trails are built for mtbing, and are good for every skill level, fast, flowy, fun,with very little in the way of techy sections.

mtbr member
    Is it worth the time?

Thanks again
    Jackrabbit is a lot of fun, especially if you want to mix in some flow trail.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    With limited time I would personally hit Dupont and pisgah. While Jackrabbit is fun I think there are better options in regards to drive time. Fontana tends to get gnarly quick and trail maintenance can be slow. Since you are going to be right there check it out. I am looking forward to the Fontana's Icycle race this winter. Speaking of which, has anybody heard anything about it for this season?
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dupont and Bent Creek Suck!!!

Fontana should be okay. Rode Tsali a week ago. Trails were in good shape despite a lot of leaves. Still fun.I know there was a race at Fontana late summer so I would think it is in the same shape as always. You can contact Motion Makers in Sylva or Bryson City Bikes to get more info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Dupont and Bent Creek Suck!!!

your opinion sucks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I already know that.

Thanks for your confirmation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post