Thread: squirrel gap

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

squirrel gap

Just for everyone's regular knowledge I thought I'd tell younz that I noticed they've started maintanence on squirrel gap. There were only 2 guys with hand tools at the "hike a bike" section (their words, not mine, I don't remember any hike a bike sections, just some where I unclipped one foot...anyways...) a little before the turn for Laurel creek, when you are coming from brevard. I just talked for a minute b/c i was well into my bag by then and fearful of running out of daylight, but the dude said that they were cleaning up some of the hike a bike sections and further in they would use a machine on some of the other sections, but all I'd really like to see is someone with a chainsaw cut up all those fallen trees. I didn't ask where they would use a machine, or any more details. They were also working on Bradley creek on the other side of the gravel road, but I don't know where since I went up the road.

One can't help but thinking that fixing up kitzuma and squirrel gap might have something to do with a couple of little races, perhaps to make some sections more race friendly. Anyways, ride it while you can!

mtbr member
    WTF? I can assure you that the work on Squirrel and Kitsuma had nothing to do with the two races that have been held recently. I am amazed at some of the stupid BS that I read from the clueless. Hint, have some facts before you start jumping to conclusions about what someone might want and what kind of influence they might have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    Just for everyone's regular knowledge I thought I'd tell younz that I noticed they've started maintanence on squirrel gap. There were only 2 guys with hand tools at the "hike a bike" section (their words, not mine, I don't remember any hike a bike sections, just some where I unclipped one foot...anyways...) a little before the turn for Laurel creek, when you are coming from brevard. I just talked for a minute b/c i was well into my bag by then and fearful of running out of daylight, but the dude said that they were cleaning up some of the hike a bike sections and further in they would use a machine on some of the other sections, but all I'd really like to see is someone with a chainsaw cut up all those fallen trees. I didn't ask where they would use a machine, or any more details. They were also working on Bradley creek on the other side of the gravel road, but I don't know where since I went up the road.

One can't help but thinking that fixing up kitzuma and squirrel gap might have something to do with a couple of little races, perhaps to make some sections more race friendly. Anyways, ride it while you can!

Mike Brown will kiss your A** on court square if they use machines on Squirrel. The head Ranger himself said there will be NO machines used on Squirrel.

Your comment about the races is pretty lame. Yeah ride while you can because it is going to change forever. NOT! Fear mongering benefits nobody.

mtbr member
    'One can't help but thinking' the OP has an axe to grind.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

Pretty Hate Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    Mike Brown will kiss your A** on court square if they use machines on Squirrel.
    MTBR NC forum quote of the year right here folks. Quote of the year.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    'One can't help but thinking' the OP has an axe to grind.
    Yeah, I hate those MFing race promoters! What, that's stupid. I have no such thing. And I'm just saying. Seems coincidental, none the least.

it's still gonna be a sweet trail, and it won't get ridden much so whatever.
    Last edited by eatmorecarp; 11-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Big Mac
    Yeah, I hate those MFing race promoters! What, that's stupid. I have no such thing. And I'm just saying. Seems coincidental, none the least.

And all this time, I thought it was the black guys fault. So whatever.

banned

I think this is just a flame baiting account and this user should be BANNED.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    And all this time, I thought it was the black guys fault. So whatever.
    That's why you won't ride with me and Moto?, cause we're black.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142
    I think this is just a flame baiting account and this user should be BANNED.
    For sure, ban me!

A few weeks ago some comments went around in a post on here about when the work was to begin on squirrel gap. NO one knew exactly. Well, I just rode squirrel gap so I thought why not let some ppl know the work has begun. What the heck is "flame baiting" anyways?

Why not ban the guy making racist comments?

for the record. I have nothing against Todd. I have done many of his races dating back to the 2nd annual oramm. he's not my friend, but I've never left any of his races feeling cheated or angry about the course or whatever. SO, what's everybody's point?

drunken pirate
    SO, what's everybody's point?
    That you really don't know what you are talking about. Or that you are trolling. One of the two is my guess...

TDS have had their trailer at the bottom of 5015 for a few weeks and have been working on Bradley Creek, now, as you have reported, they have moved on to Squirrel Gap. And yes, they will use machines on Squirrel. As related in the Blue Ridge Outdoors article Randy Burgess has said that the use of machines will be limited on Squirrel, but they will still be used. Based on the work that TDS did around Sycamore Cove I doubt Squirrel is going to change much, they are really just doing the bare minimum to fulfill their contracts. I hope that they are able to get their machine to the areas they plan on using it with minimal damage to the trail (I couldn't help but notice they broke and displaced the series of single log bridges at the bottom of Sycamore. That is a shame.). And I also hope that as long as they have their trailer down there they haul out the enormous pile of garbage that has been at the bottom of 5015 for years.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    They've dug a bunch of grade reversals in the trail that are noticeable, but nothing awful. It's just kind of sloppy work, nothing that won't get smoothed over in another 6 months of riding.

I'll gladly take bomb-holes over machine-ruined trail anyday.
    I-9 drone, unauthorized jerk.

Big Mac
    That's why you won't ride with me and Moto?, cause we're black.
    Well Hell! I didn't even know ya'll were of color. Count me in next time ya"ll ride around the lake!

banned
    Well Hell! I didn't even know ya'll were of color. Count me in next time ya"ll ride around the lake!
    glad to know you aren't the flaming racist that the carp eater made you out to be. I already talked to my little sister and she said I can ride her bike, so we will see you out @ rice pinnacle as soon as I can stand on my leg.

mtbr member
    No machines on section from Laurel Creek to Horse Cove- although I'll be interested to see how the work prescribed for the seep between Horse Cove and Cantrell gets done. Expect machine work from South Mills to Horse Cove and from Mullinax to Laurel Creek.
    With that clarification, yes, I will pucker- thanks for that, G.

Big Mac
    glad to know you aren't the flaming racist that the carp eater made you out to be. I already talked to my little sister and she said I can ride her bike, so we will see you out @ rice pinnacle as soon as I can stand on my leg.
    I'm sayin! How is that what I said could even be construed as racist? Did anybody else see it like that or just Eat More Crap? Some of these peoples in just too damn sensitive. Or racist.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    I'm sayin! How is that what I said could even be construed as racist? Did anybody else see it like that or just Eat More Crap? Some of these peoples in just too damn sensitive. Or racist.

Oh snap! My bad, it appears you are the ultimate Flamin' Master Baiter!

And He was Not

Didn't you know a white Dude can't even say the B word without being a racist
    Last edited by Enoch; 11-13-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Big Mac
    Oh snap! My bad, it appears you are the ultimate Flamin' Master Baiter!
    "Oh snap!"? What are you, like 12?

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    "Oh snap!"? What are you, like 12?
    Yeah, I'm 12, so like what, are you interested?! You freak. I'm out.
    Last edited by eatmorecarp; 11-13-2010 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    With that clarification, yes, I will pucker- thanks for that, G.[/QUOTE]

Big Mac
    Oh you'd like that wouldn't you, manboymanboy65! The 65 is the catcher position. you catch or pitch Big mac? ACtually I shouldn't have asked and I'd rather you not tell!

Disclaimer: No offense to anyone else who I may have offended.
    Once again you have demonstrated your uncanny ability to make bad decisions. So now we that you are racist and extremely homophobic. Any other cats you want to let out? Your on a roll!

banned
    Once again you have demonstrated your uncanny ability to make bad decisions. So now we that you are racist and extremely homophobic. Any other cats you want to let out? Your on a roll!
    I think his username is racist. BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Big Mac
    I think his username is racist. BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN
    Man-fish love? Is that even possible? Or legal?