Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Spartanburg Pump Track

I've begun working with the Spartanburg Parks and Rec Commission to put in a flow park consisting of a pump track, dirt jumps, and skills area, and I just wanted to see how many of you that frequent these forums would support it, and those of you out of town would consider driving down for a visit. We're also interested in how many volunteers we could get to help with construction, and possibly in the future to help with maintenance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yes and yes. Where might this be built?
    See if you can sweet-talk them into allowing bikes (bmx) into the skatepark while youre at it....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We're looking at the Old Cannon Rd. site right now. I originally asked to put it out at southside so that it was convient for us, but we can't do much off the already established trails out there without going through the state first. I doubt they'll let bmx into the skate park, but you'll be able to bring your bmx out and have some fun on the pump tracks and jumps.

mtbr member
    I am in GVL, I'd go, support, help, etc., etc. Keep me posted.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Trail Liberator
    Eric from bike worx has gotten money to build trails in duncan park. It would be nice to see it there. I am always available to help the mtb community.

mtbr member
    I live an hour away, but have family there that I see often. I can help with labor as my schedule allows (weekends, basically).

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, great timing. You can count on me for this 100%.
    I just built my own track by hand in Spartanburg, and I would love to help build one for the city.
    Here are a couple of pics of me on mine.
    Hit me up if any of you locals want to come ride it.

SEI Racing

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I am all for the pump track but I would first like to see the resources put into fixing up SouthSide.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks to all you guys for promising support, i'll be posting updates as we go through the process of setting it up. On the topic of southside, its probably going to be more of a priority later in winter, early spring, but before the county can really organize anything out there they need to find out who exactly is supposed to be in charge of keeping it up. To more or less answer the question, yes work is going to be done, and it will be every trail, no we don't know when. Both of the shops in town have expressed interest in getting south side fixed and set up like a true mountain bike trail system should be, and hopefully we'll be able to schedule some work days through them soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wcb2007
    Thanks to all you guys for promising support, i'll be posting updates as we go through the process of setting it up. On the topic of southside, its probably going to be more of a priority later in winter, early spring, but before the county can really organize anything out there they need to find out who exactly is supposed to be in charge of keeping it up. To more or less answer the question, yes work is going to be done, and it will be every trail, no we don't know when. Both of the shops in town have expressed interest in getting south side fixed and set up like a true mountain bike trail system should be, and hopefully we'll be able to schedule some work days through them soon.
    And the people rejoiced...

mtbr member
    Interesting - somehow or other I got myself elected MTB VP of the Spartanburg Freewheelers a few months ago and I haven't heard about any of this. Of course, being MTB VP of the Freewheelers is like being the gun control VP of the NRA.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, what is it you guys want "fixed" at Southside? That place rides the exact same as it did 10 years ago.

Keeping my fingers crossed the word "machine" is not in your answer.
    Or "sidewalk" for that matter.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Where and what is Southside? (I am new to the area)
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Where and what is Southside? (I am new to the area)

Take Union St. / Hwy. 56 South towards Pauline. Go about 5 miles past Hwy. 295 and look for Groce Rd. on the left. Turn left and go about 2 miles to the parking area/trailhead.

It seems like all the cool kids in town never ride Southside any more. Everyone seems to ride at Dairy Ridge. But I still like it. When it is dry, it's lots of fun. You can do about 15 miles there without having to repeat anything. For a long ride, start at Dairy Ridge, take Palmetto trail to the new connector trail over to the main Croft Rd., go left for about a mile and you can connect into SS across the new bridge. Ride a loop at SS and then come back. That's about a 4 hour ride.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    Just out of curiosity, what is it you guys want "fixed" at Southside? That place rides the exact same as it did 10 years ago.

Keeping my fingers crossed the word "machine" is not in your answer.
    Or "sidewalk" for that matter.

Haha, no machines, and definitely far from any sidewalks ever. There are a lot of ideas that have been brought to the table so far, I have an on going list spanning a few pages that I've been writing down. But the most common theme seems to be that people would like to fix the areas that are washed out, and on the trails that are supposed to be easy go in and cut out several problem roots. Also a personal thing I'd like to see is an idea they use down at FATS, they make rock gardens that range from easy to hard to armor certain sections of trail that are washing out. Not only does that slow erosion drastically, it gives you a new obstacle to ride over.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    and on the trails that are supposed to be easy go in and cut out several problem roots.

Please don't take it upon yourself to cut out any roots that you think are a "problem"!

what may be a problem for you to ride through... is another riders favorite technical challenge; So don't dumb down a trail!..

learn to ride through the challenging section(s), not by getting rid of the roots!!!

i agree some areas could use a reroute especially the sandy flat sections. i agree with the way they used busted up concrete and aggregate at FATS would work great is some spots. just find someone who will to donate the rubble.

SORBA has organized several trail days out there, and the last 2 - 3 workdays we had out 4 maybe 5 people showed up, and we fixed a couple of eroded sections that dropped off into the creek. it takes more people than 4 or 5 to show up and do anything significant out there.

ALL trails Don't need to be like FATS

mtbr member
    and on the trails that are supposed to be easy go in and cut out several problem roots.

Ah Confucius say, they are no problem roots only riders with problems riding over roots.

Ha, I guess that is good to have different people to help with different projects, because I will show up in a heartbeat to help our area build a public pump track, but I would not be caught dead cutting roots out of a perfectly good trail.

Hey Brad,
    I think the last time that you guys were out there, you guys fixed up the sandy flat sections up for the race right? I remember that area being much better for the race for sure. But as far as everyday riding, I do not think anybody uses that sandy trail by the creek. It works great for the race course because of passing, but most riders use the singletrack trails that are on higher ground. Ha, I only mention that because that area will always need work, as the rain and sand change it constantly.
    SEI Racing

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I agree with brado.... Please do not cut away any roots... I like them all... I did not like the time the trail gave way under my rear wheel and I almost ended up in the drink. I was thinking of only putting resources toward erosion control. Maybe fixing up centerline and that first right hand downhill section... both these sections have deep grooves from water flow.
    Count me in for the next work day at SS and the work days at the pump track. I am eager to learn about trail building.

Again... I really like all the roots... it took me a while to really get good at them but now that I have, I love them ALL!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Erosion control is certainly the main focus, the roots that are being looked at are ones that seem easy to us, and pose problems to first time riders, and only the 2 miles of the southside loop that is supposed to be easy for anyone to ride. I've personally seen beginners have trouble down there, granted I think they should learn to ride it, but we still need a trail that's open and easy to ride to at least have something that's fun for everyone to ride.

Thank you to everyone for wanting to support this, it says a lot about our community and how active it is. That will hopefully help convince the county to give us more resources for more projects in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you when we schedule our first work day.

curious as to who you are to make the decision of making trails easier for riders?

Trail Liberator
    Beginner riders should start on the cottonwood trail. I am not familiar with wcb2007, but southside needs some reroutes on centerline. Some water bars need to be cut and some rocks need to be thrown in the bad ditches. I could do it by myself in five or six hours. Unfortunately I maintain trail on the opposite side of fairforest creek.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I agree... beginers need to start on the Cotton wood trail and walk the sections of SS that they can not handle. I have taken many first timers to the cotton wood trails before taking them to SS.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    While I agree that beginners should start at cottonwood, but the reality is most don't. So why does it seem we're so intent to scare away the ones that do come to southside just because there are things we enjoy riding over when everyone on this probably has the ability to ride much more challenging trails that have something almost the same incorporated. I think we're loosing focus of the real work that needs to be done down there, and I have said and I'll say again, erosion is the #1 focus, as well as drainage. As to who I am, apparently I'm the person who took the time to go to the county and to convince them to support a project that will only benefit all of us, and help attract new people to the sport and new people to our area. I also privately help maintain trails at south side, and the rangers at croft are aware that I have put in time doing that. All that being said I'd like to move on to a constructive topic in this thread, and that would be if there's anything you would like to see at the flow park, perhaps a certain obstacle, please feel free to post it on here. I have another appointment middle of next week with parks and rec, and I'd like to share with them what you all have to say.

this is what i wan't!!! See about getting an old/used shipping container doesn't have to be huge....we could build berms along the sides and back store all the tools inside that will be required to repair sections reshape berms

Trail Liberator
    I like it! Keep us posted on the pump track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast