mtbr member
    Mar 2006

SORBA workday in DuPont Sunday Dec 9th

I am hosting a SORBA volunteer workday in DuPont Sunday Dec. 9th. Meet at Corn Mill Shoals parking area at 10AM. We will be working on lower Big Rock Trail, the work will involve the following: rock armoring, re-establishing drains, guide structure and gargoyle placement, improving site lines etc.

We plan to work for 3 or so hours leaving plenty of time in the afternoon for a ride. Please let me know if you can make this workday so I can plan the right amount of work and toll allocation.

As always, bring the following:
    What to bring:
    -Work-clothes in layers
    -Good footwear
    -Gloves
    -Water
    -Food-Snacks
    -A desire to help out maintaining the trails we ride
    -A shovel or other tool if you have one
    Last edited by Woodman; 12-02-2012 at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry for some confusion, my OP said Jan 9th but I meant Dec 9th as in next Sunday.

Dec 9th meeting at 10AM at the Corn Mill Shoals parking area.

mtbr member

See you...

...there. Will bring a pulaski--do we need a chainsaw?

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=TrailZen;9928033]...there. Will bring a pulaski--do we need a chainsaw?

Minor chainsaw work, bring one. I just like the smell of 2 cycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Chuck and I previewed the work yesterday, seemed like a good excuse for a ride. Weather looks great for our planned workday, hope to see some of you then.

mtbr member
    OK - I'll be there to lend a hand.

I can bring a shovel and pickaxe. And a couple other tools as well. We won't be needing any explosives, will we? Just asking, hypothetically.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    OK - I'll be there to lend a hand.

I can bring a shovel and pickaxe. And a couple other tools as well. We won't be needing any explosives, will we? Just asking, hypothetically.
    No expolisives will be needed, but are you somehow trained in such (would have loved to have some blast power in building Rocky Knob and there are projects when that might be needed).

See you Sunday, thanks for your interest.

Woody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    No expolisives will be needed, but are you somehow trained in such (would have loved to have some blast power in building Rocky Knob and there are projects when that might be needed).

See you Sunday, thanks for your interest.

Woody
    Not really - self taught. If I was growing up now, Homeland Secuity would have shown up to have a talk with my parents more than once...
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just wanted to say a big thanks to Woody and crew for leading what turned out to be a great day of trail work. I brought my 8 & 10 year old sons along- they love to work in the dirt, and both ride these trails. Woody and Chuck were great in guiding them towards useful work that made an impact, both on them and the trail. They had a blast, and can't wait to come back for more.

If you ride with your kids, I HIGHLY recommend bringing them out for a workday. Nothing like teaching a little stewardship and responsibility at a young age. And, they loved it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for coming out Tim and bringing the boys. They were great workers and contributed a lot to the overall project. I need their names as they did not sign in and we want to make sure we account for the hours they contributed.

Here are some photos from Family McMullan workers.

Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    I just wanted to say a big thanks to Woody and crew for leading what turned out to be a great day of trail work. I brought my 8 & 10 year old sons along- they love to work in the dirt, and both ride these trails. Woody and Chuck were great in guiding them towards useful work that made an impact, both on them and the trail. They had a blast, and can't wait to come back for more.

If you ride with your kids, I HIGHLY recommend bringing them out for a workday. Nothing like teaching a little stewardship and responsibility at a young age. And, they loved it!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Great workday

We had a great turnout and a fun and productive workday on Big Rock Trail. We had a total of 16 folks, 13 adults and 3 hard working kids. It was a good mix of regulars and some new faces.

Project focuses were the following:
    1. Water management- creating and maintaining good functioning rolling grade dips to turn water off the trail
    3. Vegetation management- opening up sightlines by trimming back rhodo. Better sightlines can help reduce user conflict by reducing encounter surprises.
    3. User management- Slightly reducing over all mtn bike speed by adding a few additional meanders in the trail which have a traffic calming effect. I fully expect that some mtn bikers will complain "it is not as fast" but we have to think about more than just mtn bikers who want to go really fast in our overall trail management in DuPont (and other trail systems).

The crew worked hard and there were many aspects of our workday: a couple minor alignment changes, some rock armoring and trimming back.

The first user came through at 8AM (I was out early) and the work project was a steady stream of hikers and mtn bikers and we got great comments from all.

Thanks to all who came out and contributed to the overall success of this project.

We will start back up in Jan. and continue our work on Big Rock Trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Test riding the newly built section on Big Rock Trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    I was there today, and rode up Big Rock Trail. Great Job on the work. Thanks for all you guys do. This is the 1 year mark in my mountain biking, and I look forward to getting involved on these work days when I can.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    I was there today, and rode up Big Rock Trail. Great Job on the work. Thanks for all you guys do. This is the 1 year mark in my mountain biking, and I look forward to getting involved on these work days when I can.

Glad you enjoyed the new work, and congrats on your 1 year turning of the wheels.
    Hope to see you in spring on a workday.