mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Someone school me on Salem Lake - Winston-Salem, NC

I've heard there's amazing singletrack there. I've seen the off-shoots from the main lake trail but I have no idea which ones go where. Someone please help me find the fun parts of this area. Feel free to PM me if secrecy is an issue, as I've heard it is.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in greensboro and have been wanting to check out the area as well. Maybe we can hook up and see what the place has to offer?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah just PM me sometime. I'm up there once a week or so. I live just over in Lexington.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Will do... I don't get out to W/S very often but I've been meaning to check out that area. I'll let you know in advance and see if we can hook up.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Just go ride them. You won't end up in Mt. Airy or anthing like that.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The place is great but a bit confusing, there are quite a few pointless little offshoots that can lead you around in circles if you don't know where you are going. It takes a bit of experience to create a loop that gets the most out of the trails there.

It'd be pretty nice if they were all consolidated to a single, maintainable loop a la the moore's spring trail system(leaving the freeride zones intact of course). I'll probably be out there tomorrow if I don't have time to go somewhere a bit farther away. Best place to park IMO is new greensboro road. I always play around on the steep drops near there. Definitely worth the 5 minute drive or greenway ride to get there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Someone school me on Salem Lake - Winston-Salem, NC

I'm not familiar with that road. Is it near the Linville Rd. parking area?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, it's off Linville road parrallel to 40. If you get off 40 east onto the linville road exit and stay straight at the intersection you'll find a small parking area at the end of the new greensboro road on the left after you pass a trailer park and a couple apartments. There's a fun little gully area there with some steep drops and a couple little jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Sounds awesome! I might try to head out when I get off tomorrow at 4 and see if I can't find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool... Thanks for the info Rusty904! I'm going to check it out next week.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't call it "amazing"... narrow and rooty though. Kind of a maze...just go exploring. Work your way from new greensboro rd to the powerlines. Left on the powerlines all the way to the top, there's some more stuff on the far side of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I've was out there twice this weekend. I found an awesome little gully line down to the lake today. I got down it once but the second time I ate it hard. The bike came down after me and hit me in the helmet. I can breathe without hurting so I guess I didn't do any real damage.

The trails are really confusing. Basically you just have to ride and ride and ride some more until you kind of know where you're going. I don't know what the best place to start is though. I've been parking on New Greensboro and pedaling back up to the swimming pool at the apartment complex so I can catch that line down to the lake trail. So far I haven't been able to find a flowing section of trail that I like to ride. Maybe I'm not starting at the right end.

I don't like the area between the power lines and Linville rd. It's so rooty and technical. The area between the lake trail, the power lines, and New Greensboro is what I've been riding. I did find "the gully" though. Pretty cool but I'm not that crazy.

What's on the other side of the lake? I see trails there too but I haven't ridden them. Also, there's a trail that comes out at the Linville rd. parking area. Where does that come from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I go past the yellow gate at the new greensboro road parking area and take an immediate left which leads to a little gulley. I do the steepest drop on the right then I go through the gulley, over the jump, and straight back onto the gravel. After that you take the first left into the woods about 100yds down the road. I could possibly meet you there around 6:15 tomorrow if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nance View Post
    I've was out there twice this weekend. I found an awesome little gully line down to the lake today. I got down it once but the second time I ate it hard. The bike came down after me and hit me in the helmet. I can breathe without hurting so I guess I didn't do any real damage.

The trails are really confusing. Basically you just have to ride and ride and ride some more until you kind of know where you're going. I don't know what the best place to start is though. I've been parking on New Greensboro and pedaling back up to the swimming pool at the apartment complex so I can catch that line down to the lake trail. So far I haven't been able to find a flowing section of trail that I like to ride. Maybe I'm not starting at the right end.

I don't like the area between the power lines and Linville rd. It's so rooty and technical. The area between the lake trail, the power lines, and New Greensboro is what I've been riding. I did find "the gully" though. Pretty cool but I'm not that crazy.

What's on the other side of the lake? I see trails there too but I haven't ridden them. Also, there's a trail that comes out at the Linville rd. parking area. Where does that come from?