mtbr member

So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.

I was in the Green River Games Enduro this past weekend and after a fun but crazy tech climb, I started down the first timed section.

After a couple of hundred yards I heard a little snap and felt some pressure in my left foot. I didn't fall or even break my momentum. I kept riding trying to feel what the hell was going on, but it felt like there was a stick in my shoe stuck between the sole of my shoe and bottom of my foot. Mind you, I am riding all out in my big ring. As I keep pedaling I start to feel the stick and on the down stroke it starts to hurt on both the top and bottom of my foot at the same time. FAAK! So against all instinct I stop and see a hole in the top of my shoe. Not good. Still in race mode, I start riding again and it occurs to me that I am probably screwed and I should continue heading to the bottom and try to keep the weight on my right foot. After a while I realize that this is the Green River Gorge and if I go to the bottom and I have to evac, that I will be F'd and have a around 3 miles to walk out over lots of slick ass rocks, roots, and a few creek crossings. DBLFAAK!

So I pull over in a big switch back and and take my shoe off. This is what I see:So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.-img_20130907_101846_407.jpg

So I take my sock off and realize that this stick has gone in between my second and third toes and is trying to come out the bottom of my foot. Grrreat. I can feel the point of the stick through the skin on the pad of my foot. A rider stops and asks if I am OK and I tell him no and to tell the race officials that I am out of the race and need an evac. He was a younger guy in his teens. Thanks Bro

Then this guy named Matt comes by and asks if I am OK and I say no and he keeps going. I only mention this because he was part of the group I was with. My answer never registered as he was negotiating the turn. I still get to call him a rat bastard.

I had good cell coverage and called the wife to get her rolling my direction. Then this guy DJ comes rolling in and asks if I am OK and he stops and gets off his bike, tells me he is a WFR and breaks out this huge med kit. I hated that he gave up his race for me. But thanks.

So I wanted this damn thing out of my foot before the swelling began, and I was hoping the blood would flush some of the excess debris. (BTW- this is not medical protocol) so I tried to pull it out. I pulled as hard as I physically could and it would not budge. This felt awesome. So I tried pulling the sock out around the entrance hole, and I simply was not man enough. So rather than try again and cry like a little girl in front of DJ decided it was time to go. That is about the time I realized that this is going to be a long, long up hill walk out of there.

I tried to walk several different ways and eventually found the least painful. DJ took my bike up and out of nowhere this guy Rick? comes up from the bottom. So Rick is nice enough to keep me company all the way to the top. A couple of guys from the aid station came down and offered to go get a truck which made my day. The truck got to the top about the same time I did. Brian Morgan was nice enough to scratch the crap out of his truck and hauled me out to Big Hungry rd where my wife was waiting. We also got to stop by the aid station and grab a PB&J.

Off to Mission Hospital but had to drop a kid with Grandad, and got a change of clothes from my Brother-in-law who raided his dad's closet for me. So I go rolling into Mission looking like I am on my way to a cruise in Miami. 20 minutes later I see this:
    So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.-img_20130909_171822.jpg Attachment 831160

You can see in the second pic a bulbous spot in the pad of my foot where it tried to come out. They gave me some Dilaudid and the world became a much better place. That is good sh!t my friends. Then they gave me a local and everything seemed OK.

After the x-rays they determined that I might not need surgery. So the Doc used some forceps and pulled it out. It didn't come of easy. I came off the table and he actually broke a sweat trying to pull it out. They left the wound open and packed it full of gauze so it would drain. Luckily the sock acted like a condom and contained most of the debris.

Attachment 831162

In and out of Mission in about two hours. Not bad.

The trip to the Dr's office on Monday was not fun. Let me tell you, you do not want you Dr to irrigate your wound with an 18 gauge needle. It seems the infection has set in and we changed antibiotics. I find out later today if I need surgery. He said that if I do they will go in and reestablish the channel and scrape the sides with a curette. sounds fun, No? A curette is a small cup shaped scraper that comes in various shapes and sizes.

So I am out for a while but I am still planning on racing Cranksgiving weekend at Paris Mtn.

The race was great. Steep technical with a few places to really go fast. If you don't like hikabike, the Green river Gorge is not the place for you. The day before I walked the course backwards and probably through around 200 small sticks off the trail. I guess I missed one.

While I missed all of the festivities (damnit) I heard they were a good time. I mean really, beer, bikes, reggae, in Saluda no less. This was a race that mainly consisted of locals and I must say that every single person I spoke with was really nice and very sociable.

Thanks again to the Morgan's, DJ, and Rick.

Could have been be worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.-img_20130909_171507.jpg  

So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.-img_20130907_134710_425.jpg  

Last edited by 2bfluid; 09-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Attachment linky'z no worky fer me...oh & good luck w/the healin!!!
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Redownloaded all pics. Not sure it worked but they show up on my comp.

mtbr member
    I did the same thing only in my knee.Another Banner Elk local managed to impale his calf with a stick.

Big Mac

So I was riding throughthe forest and boom I hit a... stick.

Wowzers! Crazy story. Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: So I was riding throughthe forest and boom I hit a... stick.

This is awesome!

What shoes did you have on in particular?

Trail Prospector
    Whoa... truly a scary sight.
    Could've been far worse had you been alone, and forced to hike out with that implant.
    Sending you some quick healing vibes.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member

Re: So I was riding throughthe forest and boom I hit a... stick.

They are Giro's. Not sure of the model. They were about 150 bucks. Of course they have some mesh for quick drying. Guess where the stick entered?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    They are Giro's. Not sure of the model. They were about 150 bucks. Of course they have some mesh for quick drying. Guess where the stick entered?
    Good thing my shoes only cost me 75 bucks... No vents no penetration (of sticks)

And He was Not
    my foot hurst just looking, thanks for sparing us the bloody shots.

Get Well soon.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Wow! I bet that was brutal getting out of there! We were all sitting at the top of stage 2 when we were told someone had impaled their foot with a stick. Very reassuring right before you race down trails covered in sticks! That's one of the more bizarre things I've seen.

I guess ignorance is bliss for all of us as we rocket down overgrown trails ignoring most of the unseen hazards we blast by on every trail. Overall, the trail work they did to prep the course was very good, but I noticed a few hazard stumps hiding on the sides on my pre-ride.

I hope you get well soon.

Rogue Exterminator
    Niiiiiice!!
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Super Clyde

So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.

Good grief!! That's crazy! I sounds like things are working themselves out, I'm glad there's no permanent damage.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Damn! That looks like it hurt like crazy!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5, custom build
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Ouch! that hurts to even think about, Hope you heal quick!
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Makes me hurt thinking about it. And yes Dilaudid is awesome. Nurse told me when I got it that it was 40x more powerful than morphine.

mtbr member
    Glad you're OK. That looks painful.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member

Re: So I was riding through the forest and boom I hit a... stick.

Thanks for the good thoughts y'all.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Ouch, reminds me of this vid I saw awhile back...just dumb luck.
    Motorcycle Facial Impalement - OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube

Heal up bro.
    Pisgah Forest NC