linkwvu
    Oct 2012

Slightly OT: Moving to Charlotte

Hey Everyone, just recently accepted a new job in Charlotte and my wife and I will be moving up there Mid-Oct. Been doing a ton of online research over the past month and wanted to ask the opinion of some of you....

1. Anyone have any recommendations for apartment/condo/house rentals? Looking in the Southpark & Dilworth areas ~$900/mo

2. Bike shop recommendations? Around the same areas?

3. Gym recommendations where you don't pay $100/mo for tanning and movie theater crap?

Any other general info would be great as well. Thanks for reading and thanks for any replies.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    make sure you hook up with charlottewoodsriders.com. they'll do you right!

also, make sure to drive all the way to cornelius to visit the cyclepath. DUDE'S LEGIT.

congrats on getting out of that hellhole.

and yeah, the Y.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    HDLpath is boss....end thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    make sure you hook up with charlottewoodsriders.com. they'll do you right!

also, make sure to drive all the way to cornelius to visit the cyclepath. DUDE'S LEGIT.

congrats on getting out of that hellhole.

and yeah, the Y.
    Mark legit???? WTF ? Really , great guy, big cycle advocate check out Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club and definitely visit cycle path , great shop!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BTW steer clear of those PASA guys as they are from the "wrong " side of the river and build trails that stay open when its raining, the horror!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone, can't wait to get up there and check out some new trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ditto on Cycle Path in Cornelius for repairs. Not a ton in stock though, but great rentals

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is looking like I will be accepting a job in Charlotte, what's a good active neighborhood in the suburbs? I'm in L.A. now and commute over an hour, so I don't mind driving. Belmont looks like a place I would be interested in. I will be buying a house, in the $300,000 range. Let me know what suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Belmont is the right choice.....END THREAD!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey Rumble on - search this site or ask your question here: Charlotte Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

It was a great resource for me when i was moving here. I'd say the north side (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson) or the south of the city (uptown neighborhoods to ballentyne) are pretty coveted...which also means less for your money though. Lots of folks ***** about "traffic" but it's relative...and doesn't compare to big city traffic by any means, IMHO. I'm in Cornelius on the lake (exit 28) and my commute is 35 min to city...1/3 of commute is 10-15 MPH, 2/3 is 70+

Great city overall, you really can't go wrong!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey guys, I'm the OP.... Changed my name. To reply to RumbleOn, I have been here about a month now and love it! Got a nice condo just South of Southpark on Quail Hollow Rd. (Across from the Harris YMCA) Perfect area for me, 7 min drive to work, walk to the Y, plenty of people out and about running/walking/cycling, very quiet and safe, and absolutely beautiful! I really missed the hardwood trees, real grass, and autumn while I was living in FL. BTW thanks to everyone for the recommendations! Oh, and Sherman Branch rocks! Hit me up on here if you guys need anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Oh, and I got plenty of info from the board that Jeff recommended as well.