Thread: Sinkhole

whatever
    Nov 2005

Sinkhole

Ive heard about a ride called sinkhole that branches off from the Headly ridge loop. If anyone could give me directions to this ride it would be much appreciated.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    The start of sinkhole is very easy to miss. I would explain it but only really know it by site....somebody will be able to a much better job than I can. But like I said.....easy to miss.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    It would be a good idea to get someone to show you the trail at least once maybe twice. You can get lost pretty easy in the eastern end of Pisgah, that would not be fun.
    Sink Hole/Goat Trail are roughly 1/2 mile from the end of Headly. Sink Hole requires a 2-3mile climb up a fire road to get to the trail, thats IF you park at the gates that access the back side of Brown mtn. & Chestnut mtn. Get a guide.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    are headley and rasberry the trails off of 181. are they in wilson creek and how do you get to those and are they that hard to follow. what are the other ones in that area?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    None of the Wilson trails are easy to navigate...if you've never been there AT LEAST once with a guide then you'll probably get lost, that's if you even find the "trailheads" to begin with. Other trails that are kind of off of 181 are Greentown which you could take to Beehive and then climb fire road back to 181 but take a wrong turn and your going to end up in the wrong valley and get completely lost. If you have never been to the Wilson trails don't think that it is anything like Tsali where you're on an easy to follow loop....there is no loop, there are no signs, there are plenty of cutoffs (some at creek crossings that you'd never see if you didn't know to look for them). If you are going to try it without a guide I suggest starting at sun-up so you have as much time as possible to find your way before it gets dark.

All that being said.....getting a guide isn't hard, just post here and someone will step up.

I am the big German!

Wilsons Creek

To answer your questions: yes they are in that general area of Wilson's Creek. You will need a guide or be confident with a topo map and compass. I recently rode out there with a guide. It was awesome. I probably could have managed with a topo and compass (i've had a fair amount of exerperience doing that), but having a guide made the ride flow better. . . no stopping to pull out a map and compass, just someone saying go that way. Even better he was able to give me a heads up about the upcoming trail conditions.

Post a message on this board and someone may be willing to show you around.

Dan

OB1
    mtbr member
    I require lunch and a snickers bar. I know headly, greentown, beehive, and raiders well. But if you let me drink my lunch B4 we ride....I can't guarantee we'll get out.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Perfect guide right there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    how hard are those trails on that side.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Depends on the trail and how hard you hit it....all these trails have their own interesting characteristics. Raspberry is not too difficult and that is your basic starting point so if the Raspberry descent or climb out gives you the willies than the rest of the stuff might seem over the top. Headley starts off on some tight flowy singletrack and then bombs into a downhill run that is as hard as you want to make it...there are some huge waterbars that can be pretty dangerous at high speeds! The Greentown plunge is fast and fun but the climb out of Greentown is a real butt-kicker for a flat-lander like myself...it's like climbing up a old cobble stone street that never ends. Beehive is an intense downhill at any speed and if you run mechanical disks it'll have your fore-arms and fingers all jacked up by the time you get to the bottom. Sinkhole has some of the craziest cliff-side tiny bench you will ever ride...not the best trail for people who have a fear of heights...or maybe it is if they want to conquer that fear.

So how hard are they? Well....they're not easy, they're technically and physically demanding and NOT beginner but a hack like myself can get through the day without wrecking to many times! Wilsons is the land of mechanicals. Carry tools, cary tubes, carry duct tape and cable ties, extra rear derailleur, etc. If you got room for it carry it. I've seen plent or derailleurs blown-up out there.