mtbr member
    Mar 2006

singlespeed help....

I'm building up an old klein as a singlespeed and could use some advice. The drops are horizontal, so I need (I think) a chain tensioner. I've looked at the surly singleator, but wanted to get some help on what to do here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've also been told that bmx chains (more durable?) are the way to go, but nor sure on that one either.

Singelspeeds are supposed to make going up hills easier, aren't they?

Thanks,
    Ed

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well if the drops are horizontal then you do not need a tensioner. If they are vertical (up and down) you will need a tensioner or eccentric hub.

mtbr member
    I turned my old Rockhopper into a singlespeed. It also had horizontal dropouts.

Horizontal dropouts, as opposed to tracked fork ends, aren't real long and don't give a ton of space to pull the wheel back. So some gear combinations "fit" better than others. I would play around with gear combinations to see if you find one you like and if it pulls back far enough into the dropout before buying a tensioner.

BMX chains and cogs would work better. But they aren't always necessary. I don't run them on mine, and I've never had any trouble with the chain coming off. I use a regular chain and took the spacers from a couple of cassettes I broke apart.

I think the bottom line is to play around with what you've got, and see if that works first. Then buy any extras you need.

Have you checked out Sheldon Browns' web site? He has some great info on converting an older bike into a singlespeed.

Hope this helps.

When did you get here?!?!

wait a second...

Old Klein... Horizontal dropouts...
    They are the old 'rear entry' dropouts, right? The are horizontal but only big enough to hold the axel, not big enough for any adjustments?
    If that's the case, you still need a chain tensioner.
    ~E
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

paintbucket
    SRAM PC58 is a good (and cheap) SS chain. If you do need a tensioner then I'd start with the Surly for its price. Once you've committed then a White Industries eccentric hub is the cleanest solution, or there are better tensioners out there as well.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Old Klein... Horizontal dropouts...
    They are the old 'rear entry' dropouts, right? The are horizontal but only big enough to hold the axel, not big enough for any adjustments?
    If that's the case, you still need a chain tensioner.
    ~E
    You nailed it. That being said, I picked up the Surly today. It can be set to push up or pull down. I'm thinking I'll try the former -- less possibility for throwing the chain?

Appreciate the help. Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atler
    You nailed it. That being said, I picked up the Surly today. It can be set to push up or pull down. I'm thinking I'll try the former -- less possibility for throwing the chain?

Appreciate the help. Ed
    what are you gonna run for gears?

32 X 20 seems to be about perfect for here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    what are you gonna run for gears?

32 X 20 seems to be about perfect for here.

I'll give that a shot. Live in the city, so was originally going to run 44 x 16 to use as a part-time commuter, but don't want to have to mess around any time I want to use it for its real purpose.

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    Whoa, are you me?

I have an old Klein Fervor I am turning into a SS, with horizontal drops as well, but that damned 1 inch headtube is keeping me from my rigid 29er fork dreams.

I haven't looked at the frame in a while, whats this I hear about the dropouts not being big enough to make adjustments? I don't get it.

When did you get here?!?!

old klein non-adjustable dropouts vs. surly horizontal dropouts

One has room to move the axel to tighten the chain, one does not. (Sorry for the 'new' old dropout photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

pronounced may-duh
    Is it just me or are those klein rear facing drop outs just stupid. I have an older frame like that (not a klein) and all it does is make it that much harder to remove the rear wheel. Sure the wheel will never slip out of alignment while riding but Is that really a problem? The track fork dropouts on the surly serve a real purpose when setting up a singlespeed. I have always thought the klein design is stupid and anoying.

arbiter
    Aug 2005

whoops

My reading comprehension is not so tight this morning. I completely missed atler's post about "nailing it" with the rear entry dropouts. My old Klein (pre Trek) has beefy aluminum BMX style dropouts. I thought you were saying long horizontal drops had issues with singlespeed. That would have flipped conventional wisdom on its head and melted my face off.

So, sorry. And thanks.

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    YES

Man, that design is retarded.

You are not alone in your hate.