Thread: Shallotte NC

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Shallotte NC

Hey, I just moved to Shallotte NC. I raced heavily back in highschool, Mt Bike, and Cycling. I was just wondering where there were trails near Shallotte NC, and if anyone else lives around here, and is looking for a riding partner. Let me know! Thanks

mb_
    mtbr member
    That's a real place! I thought you were spelling Charlotte w/a southern accent. I learned something.

You should be able to find a cold Duck-Rabbit in those parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haha, yeah, no its a real place...its in between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. lol

Official Cooler Inspector
    First suggestion:

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

MTBR Member
    I feel for you csimkunas6 - just moved from OIB, after a few years in the area. Gotta ask...what brings you to Shallotte?

Check out the Blue Clay trail in the link above - trail is about 45-50min north, in wilmington.

Check out Waccamaw Trail Blazers, for the Jackson Bluff trail in Conway - not much there(maybe 3 miles of singletrack - some doubletrack too), but it's just getting going - ton's of potential there. About 1.25hr drive from Shallotte.

Then you have Vereen gardens on the NC/SC border on hwy 179 - off of hwy 17. Closest of all the trails - about 5-6 miles of trail. Nothing technical at all, but it's fun to run through there some times - more fun riding there w/ others. The group from waccamaw is always looking for more riders - I would suggest getting in touch w/ Marshall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I moved to Shallotte because some of my family just moved down here, and I came to help them move, and just fell in love with the area. And its rly nice living 10 min from Holden Beach and Ocean Isle.

Thanks for the trail info tho! I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey everyone.. I'm from Shallotte also and like you I have been working on some trails in the area. Just got back from tSali in Bryson city a couple of months ago..
    Anyway I have mapped out a trail through the woods around ponds and is now 95% in the woods. It's Just over 11.5 miles nice ride. Try to go a few times a week.. It's cold now but it's fun.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csimkunas6
    I moved to Shallotte because some of my family just moved down here, and I came to help them move, and just fell in love with the area. And its rly nice living 10 min from Holden Beach and Ocean Isle.

Thanks for the trail info tho! I appreciate it!
    Yeah, it's a nice place. A little slow this time of the year, but it's great in the spring/summer. I'll still be making the trip down several times a year.

Danny: can you PM that location? I'd like to check it out next time I'm in town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It's just one of those trails I put together and some is on private property but I know the folks and it's fine.. But it on of those ride you don't want to get to many folks into because you never know how long it will last with development and all..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well got home tonight and the wife handed me a phone number about some man want to talk to me about riding on his property.. I called, and he said to stay out because he did not want people in there.. What a bummer I guess I jinked myself bragging about having a place to ride.. I will look for another spot.. Sorry..........

mtbr member

Late Reply

Sorry I'm just seeing your message. Welcome to the neighborhood. Name is Erik. I'm in Wilmington.

Your options locally are as follows:

Blue Clay Bike Park
    UNCW Campus Trails

and our CFSORBA group has just broke ground on trails on "your side" of the river at Brunswick County Nature Park.

Blue Clay:

As noted, Erol Calgaran's site has great info. on local trails (and others) - refer to left margin on this link:

http://sirbikesalot.com/

We have just under 7 miles and it is a pretty great trail. Work being done on it all of the time by CF SORBA. Here is our new site though under construction: http://capefearsorba.com/

The active Forum (for now) can be found at: http://www.capefearmtb.com/mtbforum/

I'm on this site under same screen name. Great community of riders most of whom are in our CFSORBA chapter (I can get you info. to join if you like).

UNCW

A maze of trails that are mostly flat, fast, but stay dry year 'round. Best to ride these with someone who knows a route through them first couple of times. This is usually the default trail when BC is closed.

http://sirbikesalot.com/entry.php?fid=58

Brunswick Co. NP

Our inaugural trail buidling day was 12/4/2010. I want to say there are only about 3 miles cut right now but there are loops that you can do which include the dirt/gravel road. We're cutting beginner/intermediate trail now and advanced trail will follow. I've walked the whole thing working on it but have yet to ride it.

http://sirbikesalot.com/entry.php?fid=355

One of our members advised that their is a trail sign up directing you to what trails we have done if you want to go and check it out.

This trail is found on Hwy 133 in Town Creek (coming towards Wilmington)
    http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/Dep...3/Default.aspx

__________________________________________________ _____________________

There are some other trails (Dow Road at Carolina Beach) but if you ride there you run the risk of trespassing citations. There are trails in Jacksonville on base but you need a sponsor and right now they are in bad shape.

We have a winter race series that is starting soon which includes two XC races at Blue Clay (Wilmington), Pirahna Pit (Havelock), and Bicycle Post (Greenville).

PP is on base too but on race day you can ride there.

Info on Bicycle Post and the race series can be found: http://www.ecvelo.org/content.aspx?p...odule_id=49780

If you're on FaceBook look up Cape Fear SORBA and a number of us are on there as well.

Good luck. If you want to tag along with any of us to get to know the trails and meet some folks just PM me here and I'll reply.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    In warm weather watch out for the cottonmouths, diamondbacks, and gators. (diamondbacks, and I ain't referring to a brand of bike)
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Branch Biker
    In warm weather watch out for the cottonmouths, diamondbacks, and gators. (diamondbacks, and I ain't referring to a brand of bike)
    Very true. Poisonous snakes and summer-time ticks at BC. Mostly you'll see black snakes in abundance. Riders have seen a gator at BCNP and reports of a bear in the area have been given too.

If you encounter any of these just ride faster.

Biggest nuisance is the summer morning spider webs normally made by the golden orb (zipper spider or banana spider). Thick like fishing line....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live in Charlotte but have a place in N.Myrtle beach.Whenever I am going to be there for a while I ride up to Wilmington and hit Blue Clay.Well worth the ride imo.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    How's blue clay for the weekend? Going to visit my grandma in Conway and thinking about bringing the bike. I'm having terrible withdrawal symptoms with the winter we are having.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Aug 2008
    Oh yeah, and if anyone is going to be around I'd love to find someone to ride with too.
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

MTBR Member
    You're in luck, Wickedgood - there is a newish trail right there in Conway(check my post above). One day, I think it will be a better ride than Blue Clay - just don't have the mileage(yet). The land is prime.

I'm guessing Blue Clay is going to be a little sloppy.
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 01-13-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Aug 2008
    Nice! Thanks ncfisherman... I do remember reading something about that a while ago but it had slipped my mind. I will definitely be bringing the bike to check it out. Does Blue Clay dry out fast? I'm going to be down there until Monday.

Anyone riding this weekend shoot me a PM ) I'm totally out of shape but I can hang in there pretty good.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    Nice! Thanks ncfisherman... I do remember reading something about that a while ago but it had slipped my mind. I will definitely be bringing the bike to check it out. Does Blue Clay dry out fast? I'm going to be down there until Monday.

Anyone riding this weekend shoot me a PM ) I'm totally out of shape but I can hang in there pretty good.
    I think Blue Clay will be pretty sloppy, but don't know for sure. I heard they had some snow on Monday. And BC is predominately clay soil - tends to stay pretty sloppy, especially considering it's in a low lying area. Not sure if it would really be worth the drive from Conway, unless you're passing by the area on the way to or from. You could post up on www.capefearmtb.com and ask the local guys if they know the condition of the trail.

I was planning on heading down(to OIB, NC), but plans have changed. Still might be able to get up Sunday or Monday for a ride. I'll PM you if I head that way.

mtbr member

Blue Clay

One of our riders just posted on cfmtb the following (Friday @ 4pm):

I just got back from a quick ride. I just rode the juvi side and then looked at the hilly side. the majority of the trail on the juvi side is not too bad, and rideable. I would still ride somewhere else for the next day or so, unless you go early before it thaws, and you want to re-build your drive train afterwards. The bridges still have 2" +/- of snow on them and the approaches still have some snow on them.

Ther northern part of the county got about 4-6" snow on Monday and then ice. You'd think at the beach.... With the warm up you can check back and maybe ride on Sunday afternoon.

Aug 2008
    Rode the trails in Conway this afternoon. Great start guys keep up the good work!