Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Shack on Turkey pen?

What's with the shack/hut off the trail? Rode from Black Mt trail today and the hut had a fire and everything. Does someone live there? I also encountered a bright red cabin after going up Cove Creek and then riding 225. It was very new and freaked me out. Anyone one else seen the red cabin?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    You ever seen Blair Witch?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    No, the shaking camera would drive me nuts. Why?

mtbr member
    That is an odd compound off TP. What, you didn't stop and try and talk to that guy?

Probably just some dude freaking out on life. There's worse ways to do it.

That's all I've got.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We didn't see anyone. My thought is anyone wanting to live up there wants to be left alone. The red cabin is more worrisome to me.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Watch it, then running into places like that in the middle of the woods will really freak you out.

mtbr member
    Could you hear any banjos?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Watch it, then running into places like that in the middle of the woods will really freak you out.
    Haha - I used to night ride in the same woods where that was filmed...

banned
    stay out of my cabin!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Could be official FS research camps. Might want to report these locations at the Ranger's Station before assuming anything too spooky. Until you know otherwise, ignore the shelters and ride by really fast.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    Definitely NOT something official off TP-somebody's got him/herself a nice little compound going on top of the ridge in one of the saddles. Like I said, probably just somebody doing the freaking out on life thing and doing that in the woods by yourself is lot better than around other people. If it's still there in a month or so, then would be the time to make a "report."

In the old days, I wouldn't think twice about remote camps. We had some pretty good folks living the simple life back then. Times have changed. If you've ever "smelled that smell", you won't forget it. I still say: pedal faster.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

Big Mac
    Whatever you say mum. Your self assumed position as the elder states person of all things mtb is tiresome at best. If I had a dollar for every time you said "back in the day" or something similar, I could buy myself a new headset.

Thanks for the reality check. No sarcasm intended.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Whatever you say mum. Your self assumed position as the elder states person of all things mtb is tiresome at best. If I had a dollar for every time you said "back in the day" or something similar, I could buy myself a new headset.

An S-3 level headset or are we talking 110?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    An S-3 level headset or are we talking 110?
    110. Maybe 2 of 'em. I'd have some change for a couple 24 oz. beverages.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    somebody's feeling crabby tonight. go read Dicky's shilling attempt on the 29er forum under the misfit cycles thread, best thread in months.

mtbr member
    If it is the mylar wigwam by Cantrell Creek chimney I believe it is a longer term base camp for deer hunters. There are several wigwam structures in the TP vicinity, off the beaten trail although this one is in plain view, that have stockpiles of gear that get revisited from year to year. Usually carried in by horse. Typically given away by gallon cannisters of white fuel thrown next to the fifty or so crushed beer cans by the stream.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    Chief-the compound I'm talking about is just 50 feet off the Turkey Pen trail itself on top of the ridgeline. aircooled may be talking about something else altogether....

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Any duct taped shut coolers or empty boxes of pseudoephedrine laying around? Trail nomes with really bad teeth?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    Any duct taped shut coolers or empty boxes of pseudoephedrine laying around? Trail nomes with really bad teeth?
    Nope, those guys all hang out at Pink Beds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Chief-the compound I'm talking about is just 50 feet off the Turkey Pen trail itself on top of the ridgeline. aircooled may be talking about something else altogether....
    It around 50 feet off the trail. Lots of torn tarp, recycled stuff. It was on the right of the trail.

mtbr member
    Same folks who had the sweet Hefty-bag set-up on South Mills a few years back?

mb_
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Like I said, probably just somebody doing the freaking out on life thing and doing that in the woods by yourself is lot better than around other people.
    I'm intrigued by this idea, but it's a little more radical than what I've daydreamed about. Cash out, simplify, coast into early retirement w/in access to Pisgah. Sounds like someone's livin my dream!

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by mb_
    I'm intrigued by this idea, but it's a little more radical than what I've daydreamed about. Cash out, simplify, coast into early retirement w/in access to Pisgah. Sounds like someone's livin my dream!

Was Ted Kazynsky also living the dream?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast