Thread: Seasonal Trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Seasonal Trails

I am planning a trip from Ontario, we have confirmed our dates. We will be coming from March 8th to the 16th and plan to "wing it" for the most part. My question is about Seasonal trails. I don't understand the classification. From what I gather seasonal trails are trails that appear to be closed during your wet season. Is this a correct assumption and if so what dates would this typically occur.
    We are hoping to ride the most technical trails you have i just want to make sure they will be open to ride when we are there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're talking about the Pisgah seasonal trails, then the seasonal trails like Bennett Gap are only open during the winter months. Less potential user conflicts, is the way I understand it. There really isn't a wet season. They're all wet seasons here.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Less potential user conflicts, is the way I understand it.
    To my understanding, this is correct.

mtbr member

Seasonal Trails...

...are open to MTB use from October 15 through April 15; the designation has nothing to do with weather patterns, but is more related to summer use patterns (lotsa hikers) on most of the 'seasonal' system. Seasonal trails on the Pisgah District are clearly identified on the various 'official' maps of the District. DuPont State Recreational Forest does not have a seasonal trail policy...

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess it's a good decision to come when we are then. Sounds like we will be able to ride all that you have to offer.
    Thanks guys, I'd just like to comment on how great this board is. Most of the boards here on mtbr I find can have some seriously hard people to deal with.