mtbr member
    May 2009

Santa Cruz Mechanic

Does anyone recommend a good Santa Cruz mechanic in the Upstate SC or Western NC area? I need a complete tune up, my bottom bracket is creaking (carbon frame) and the bearings in the pivots probably need replaced. I just want someone that takes pride in their work and will deliver back a finely tuned ride!

Thanks in advance.

Big Mac

Santa Cruz Mechanic

I can't imagine why you would need a special Santa Cruz mechanic, but Carolina fatz is a dealer.

mtbr member
    Carolina Fatz (new name now) on Brevard Road just South of the I-26 exit in Asheville. Santa Cruz is their main lineup.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess I don't need a special Santa Cruz Mechanic, just someone that is familiar with VPP and knows how to work on that particular suspension set up. Thanks for the information on Carolina Fatz, any other suggestions on a good mechanic that is familiar with VPP?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I highly recommend Billy Goat bikes, and I'm very picky about mechanics. The only other shops I'd recommend for labor is sycamore cycles and chain heart.

Big Mac

Santa Cruz Mechanic

Jimmy at the hub is top notch. And while the hub is not a Santa Cruz dealer, he ran the shop at fatz for quite a while.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I can't imagine why you would need a special Santa Cruz mechanic, but Carolina fatz is a dealer.
    This.

There's nothing complicated or unique about the VPP. In fact, the 'internals' are very basic and designed to be easily serviced.

Contact Santa Cruz for a free bearing replacement and you probably just need to swap out the BB. You can do it with basic tools.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I can also highly recommend carolina fatz. Top notch customer service there.

Rogue Exterminator
    Like others have said Carolina Fatz.
    Huge Santa Cruz dealer.
    Quality Mechanics.
    Excellent Service.

I have never heard a negative word about them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    This.

There's nothing complicated or unique about the VPP. In fact, the 'internals' are very basic and designed to be easily serviced.

Contact Santa Cruz for a free bearing replacement and you probably just need to swap out the BB. You can do it with basic tools.
    ^^^THIS^^^^ it's not rocket science .

ohhman
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Jimmy at the hub is top notch. And while the hub is not a Santa Cruz dealer, he ran the shop at fatz for quite a while.
    Cough Cough..... Things Are A-Changing. Back In The Hands Of A IBD.

Big Mac

Santa Cruz Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    Cough Cough..... Things Are A-Changing. Back In The Hands Of A IBD.
    Hmmm, do tell.

ohhman
    If you have not heard yet, Carolina Fatz was purchased by Bike Street USA, A company out of Florida, aiming to buy/open 1000 stores.

Jason and the gang ran a great shop. I was a regular customer for years, before we started The Hub. Jimi came down to be our service manager, as Nate just joined Sycamore (Pisgah Shop).

Bike Street USA is now running the show, with most of the gang still on board, and changing a few things up... Many bike companies are hesitant/weary with this new chain.

I do not know all the details, and do not want to sound like a @$$hole by judging or assuming, but I know that B.S.USA is buying up shops like a plague and running radio/tv commercials all over the place.

Either way, You will see Santa Cruz showing up in "another" place shortly....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Either way, You will see Santa Cruz showing up in "another" place shortly....
    Hey, I saw that Facebook post. I just wished I was closer to the Hub.

mtbr member
    If you have not heard yet, Carolina Fatz was purchased by Bike Street USA, A company out of Florida, aiming to buy/open 1000 stores.

Bike Street USA is now running the show, with most of the gang still on board, and changing a few things up... Many bike companies are hesitant/weary with this new chain.

I do not know all the details, and do not want to sound like a @$$hole by judging or assuming, but I know that B.S.USA is buying up shops like a plague and running radio/tv commercials all over the place.
    You might want to heed this old saying, "if you're in the apple business, it's not a good idea to yell rotten apples".

You might also want to learn how to spell 'wary'.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

ohhman
    Another reason I dislike forums.... as well as typing on phones(autocorrect)...

I have great respect and have no ill feelings/intentions towards any bike shop. I just fear for us: Independent Bike Shops... As Online giants and commercial chains explode, we become fewer and fewer. Most of these shops are able to offer product cheaper than we can wholesale for.... They are about $$$, not the love of bikes. The employees usually are awesome people, but up the chain there is different intentions.

Just remember when you walk into your local bike shop... there is little margin, we are trying to feed families as well, We are in it for the love of cycling and to support our passions, not wallets. ALL are welcome.

Now get off the forums and ride a bike. correcting peoples grammar and assuming is such a waste of time.

Big Mac

Santa Cruz Mechanic

I was aware of the purchase by bike street. But, I was not aware of bike streets massive size. Crazy. I've never done much business with fatz and likely wont. Great bunch of folks though. They will from here on out be known as the "bike street boyz".

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Jason and the gang ran a great shop.
    FWIW, I think they still do. I damaged a Santa Cruz VPP axle last week, which results in most people calling SC and waiting for a replacement. CF stocks these proprietary parts and had me rolling again instantly.

Watching interactions with customers, it also seems like the guys out front (Jason, Marcus) are more able to relax and get back to what they like to do - helping people ride bikes. I also chatted with one of the new faces for a while and it seems like they're still allowed to hire good staff instead of generic retail hiring.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Bike Street branded hardware, like the generic-ish pumps and tire levers. With Topeak or Pedro's, I know what I'm getting, but the Bike Street equipment is a mystery.

mtbr member

I have great respect and have no ill feelings/intentions towards any bike shop. I just fear for us: Independent Bike Shops... As Online giants and commercial chains explode, we become fewer and fewer. Most of these shops are able to offer product cheaper than we can wholesale for.... They are about $$$, not the love of bikes. The employees usually are awesome people, but up the chain there is different intentions.

Just remember when you walk into your local bike shop... there is little margin, we are trying to feed families as well, We are in it for the love of cycling and to support our passions, not wallets.

amen brother.
    My one says BRAP!