Super Clyde

San-Lee in Sanford

I realize it's not a Uwharrie or Pigsah, but it's a trail 20 minutes from my house. It's only 11 miles, but is it for beginners? I primarily ride road now, and don't want to get into it and have to walk out a couple miles. Thanks!

Sent from the hole in your ceiling.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    San Lee is a great trail and definitely IMO the best trail around the triangle. Has some more advanced sections but there are plenty of outs. I wouldn't classify it as a beginners trail but it is not overly difficult and it is marked well telling you when to bail if you choose to do so. They have done a bunch of work on this trail in the last year and it has some great jumps/drops/berms etc that have been added to the back half.

If you are just starting, the first half from the parking lot to the first bail out would probably be where you want to start. If you feel good on that, the back half is a lot of fun.

enjoy

edit: take a look at Governor's Creek as well....it is on the other side of Sanford just off of 15-501 and is a fun singletrack that is a little easier than San-Lee....both fun trails.

Super Clyde
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nc05lsv View Post
    San Lee is a great trail and definitely IMO the best trail around the triangle.

edit: take a look at Governor's Creek as well....it is on the other side of Sanford just off of 15-501 and is a fun singletrack that is a little easier than San-Lee....both fun trails.

Definitely not a beginners trail, but like NC05 stated it has plenty of "walk arounds" and bail outs. IMO the second half is less challenging, but more climbing. If you go across the lake on the big wood bridge (upper parking lot), and hang a right, that will bring you to what I consider the 2nd half & makes for about a 4 miles loop).

If you go out to Governor's Creek & handle yourself well, I would defintely recommend San Lee. Great skill builder!

~Kirby

mtbr member
    I agree with all the above...Governor's Creek would be more on the beginners side..it does have difficult spots...you might have to dismount here and there...and one of the difficult areas is labeled...San Lee is more difficult more climbs..more rocks..I ride both places alot and both have challenging places to it...but I would go out to GC before San Lee...and up the road at Harris Lake is Hog Run...I would prolly go there first and ride...because that whole place is pretty easy...even the difficult sections...its not saying its not an enjoyable ride..cause I go there from time to time and I like riding there.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.