Thread: RTP Area

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

RTP Area

Anything good to ride near the RTP area? If not, how far do you have to drive to get in a decent ride.

Bike Dork
    Crab Tree Mountain bike trails near RDU airport, Seawell Trails in Durham, Atlantic Trails in North Raleigh. Do a google search for trianglemtb (sorry not sure what the etiquette is for linking to other bike sites).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I believe the Atlantic Trails are all gone, and haven't been around for at least the last few years.

'Seawell trails' are properly calls 'Carolina North Forest' and are located in Chapel Hill, not Durham. Bring a map or a tour guide there. Part of that place is a weird nest of trails.

Beaver Dam and New Light will give you longer rides (~10 miles) and more technical challenge. New Light is only open on Sundays until summer, though.

Legend in Clayton is perhaps worth the drive, too. There are some hucks, north shore bridges, and a bermed downhill there.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    crabtree (and if you ask around to people you see on some local trails they can point you in the direction about upwards of 20 miles right around lake crabtree)
    harris
    little river
    carolina north
    briar chapel
    beaver dam
    new light (sundays as posted above)

legend park and owls roost/wild turkey in greensboro are also fairly close for a weekend trip

mtbr member
    S:drive...pm me also for information. Any of the links in my signature will give you some leads on where to ride or groups to ride with.