mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Rough Creek Watershed (Canton)?

Anyone been on this? If not, I'm checking it out this weekend and will report.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't been on the watershed since last December, but I understand there are 3 big trees across the upper section of Cherry Cove Trail ( the single trail located on the watershed). Generally, we try to do some trail maint. & clearing sometime in the late spring, but that hasn't happen yet for this spring. If you are planning to go and check out the trails this weekend & would like some company, PM me and I maybe able to go up with you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    If you are planning to go and check out the trails this weekend & would like some company, PM me and I maybe able to go up with you.
    Thanks...not sure if I'll head up on Sat or Sun, but will prob. be a spur of the moment thing. Interested to see how the trails are since they are super close to where I'm staying in Waynesville.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I live in Waynesville and I've been there once. In my opinion I would go elsewhere. There are so many "better" options in the area to ride. For the amount of time it takes to get there I can be almost at Bent Creek or the new WCU trail in Cullowhee. Again, JMO but I did not enjoy riding there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks..yeah, I kinda figured that. I have a very small window of ride time, just looking to explore and check it off the list.
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With the record amount of rain the region has had this spring, and the fact that we haven been up there to clear the single track, your time, other than using it just exploring a new place, would be better spent trying out the new trails at WCU. Depending on where in Waynesville you are staying, the travel time to the trails may be about the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Although my address is Waynesville, I guess its technically North Waynesville (Hemphill Rd. area) off I-40. Of course my usual spot is Pisgah proper, but just wanted to explore since I won't have time for Pisgah.

I'm actually intending to take the CX bike and ride into GSMNP via Cove Creek. Mapped out a ridiculous ride I'm not prepared for, will likely get eaten by elk.
    Max Patch CX Challenge in Waynesville, NC | MapMyRide
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That looks like a nice CX ride! I am not sure if you are aware, but Cove Creek Rd experienced a landslide during the hard rain we received a few weekends ago, and it has a one lane section, I am not sure how that is affecting traffic. Also, the crossing of the Pigeon River near I-40 is a low water bridge(ford) & it may be quite deep, depending on the release of water from the Walter Lake Dam.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bd279 View Post
    Although my address is Waynesville, I guess its technically North Waynesville (Hemphill Rd. area) off I-40. Of course my usual spot is Pisgah proper, but just wanted to explore since I won't have time for Pisgah.
    Okay, I was under the impression you were visiting. I'm in the Ironduff area. If you go to the watershed just be prepared for a 229 like climb up to Farlow for the first 1/2 mile. After that it levels out a bit more. Majority of what I rode was deep grass covered, wide road bed. I would venture that it's a much more enjoyable hike vs. bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    Okay, I was under the impression you were visiting. I'm in the Ironduff area.
    Technically I am. Part time cabin. Thanks for all the info. After the week I've had at work, I'm looking for some spin time anywhere.
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    I am not sure if you are aware, but Cove Creek Rd experienced a landslide during the hard rain we received a few weekends ago, and it has a one lane section, I am not sure how that is affecting traffic. Also, the crossing of the Pigeon River near I-40 is a low water bridge(ford) & it may be quite deep, depending on the release of water from the Walter Lake Dam.
    Yeah, I do remember hearing about that. Thanks for the heads up and sounds like it's passable. Dunno if I have the legs to complete the ride, but am going to give it a shot.
    - Abraham Lincoln

banned
    Jan 2013
    I've ridden RC watershed several times and the 1/2 mile steep entrance is a turn off but there was a short section of single track cut in the back side. The place has potential and I live close but I haven't been there in several years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Loved the watershed, but I can understand why it's not for everyone. We made the climb extremely brutal by missing the fire road turn and continuing up the western boundary which was stupid steep at the top. Eventually linked up with cherry cove. Lots of trees down and extremely overgrown with stinging nettles in the upper portions. Cleared everything on cherry that was movable. I love backcountry riding so it was a great day in the woods. Got just shy of 10 difficult miles. Will post the route and some pics later.

Extremely happy the town of Canton allows bikes up there. I'll definitely return and would be happy to put in more trail work up there.
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for posting the info about your ride. It's good to hear from someone that has been up on the watershed. You are not kidding about the stupid steepness of the west boundary road. I have walked up it & back down, but never ridden it. My wife has been down it once in the back of a truck driven by a town employee, as they dropped down the steepest part, everyone but the driver got out of the truck & walked. Hopefully, we can get a group together & go up to do some trail work sometime soon. Thanks for clearly what you could on Cherry Cove. Generally, the best time to ride the watershed is in late fall, early winter after the first hard frost. Sometimes I can get about 12-15 miles of riding in with only doubling back on Cherry Cove and a short part of the inner road beds. If you are interested & do Facebook, the Friends of Rough Creek Watershed have a Facebook page & would really like for you to post your pics there.