mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Rode Richmond Hill trails today

First time for me, and pretty nice. Just muddy enough in spots to get dirty tires without make a huge mess of the trail. Hugely technical (especially for me!) but still some fun.

Only saw one tree down and the trails were clean. It's only about five minutes from my home so I'll definitely be back. Anyone know if there are there any available maps?

mtbr member
    6 Myles- if you PM me your e-mail addy, I will send you a temporary map. There is a signficant re-route in progress. Look for a public work day announcement soon.

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    Will there be a map ready soon? I rode there for the first time today; it is nice to have something so close to town. I could ride there from home if I'm feeling motivated.... It is technical and looks like a lot of work was done to get as much into a small space as possible, which I appreciate. I was able to get a pretty solid 1 hour ride there (repeating in a couple of places). However, I noticed at the kiosk at the beginning of the trail that people have been doing some elicit trail creation on their own and that going on such makeshift trails is discouraged. Riding somewhat blind, I admit that I struggled a bit at times to be able to tell which trails were and were not legit....

Thanks for all of the work done. I will ride there again for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post.
    Don't worry about the illicit trails; I've closed the worst of them.
    Regarding a permanent map; sigh...
    A small but very challenging trail re-location involving the construction of 5 switchbacks in about 1/3 of a mile (think Kitsuma) through a corridor choked with multi-flora and privet has to be completed before a permanent map can be issued. As this trail re-location is forced, not desired, and in my opinion lowers trail enjoyment, I will admit to not being very motivated to make it happen. Maybe by spring...
    Additionally, really awesome vandals have been removing the trail signage. I plan to go out and spray paint more blazes on Saturday. Follow the yellow blazes for the main loop. Red blazes connect back to yellow. Blue shows the easiest route for now (the re-lo will change this ). If you find yourself on the old golf course, those trails are unofficial but perfectly fine to explore.
    As always, e-mail me and I will send you the best map I've got. You may have already done this, I'll check my e-mail...

mikemtnbike@gmail.com

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    Thank you for the quick response; I will send an email.

After a good bit of slow going through winding technical parts, I do recall coming to a longer and less technical stretch of singletrack where I was able to cruise pretty quickly for a few minutes; it was a nice little reward after the harder parts. That isn't the stretch that has to be broken up is it? If so, that is pretty disappointing. I am also curious as to the reasoning/politics behind having to construct the new switchbacks.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb View Post
    I am also curious as to the reasoning/politics behind having to construct the new switchbacks.
    when you get past the golf course on your right, head down a long stretch to a sweeping & descending left hand turn, that stretch of trail gets into some private property.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    More details would be:

The section of trail in question WAS part of the original park property and pre-dated all new trails/ the new golf course. New trails were specifically built to include this trail and the trail layout was approved by the city prior to all construction.
    Unfortunately, GIS data had not been updated to show 5 acres that the city gave to a neighboring landowner in exchange for the right of way for the new parking lot.
    When I was working with an environmental group that is working to remove invasives from the park, we were looking at the new GIS data, the problem was noted and I brought it to the city's attention.
    The landowner isn't being difficult or anything, but the trail does need to get moved at some point. It will get done, but, like I said, it's not going to make the trail better IMO and it's a big project. The re-route is blazed and most of the easy trail work/ corridor clearing has been done by a boy scout troop I work with. Some challenging corridor clearing and all the switchbacks still have to be built. For those who don't know, building a quality switchback is serious business.