mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rocky Knob trails close for winter season

Due to wet weather and freeze/thaw conditions, local land managers have decided to close all Rocky Knob trails until conditions improve. So far we have had a wet winter and trails in many places are suffering.

mtbr member
    Still raining. Snow tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    Still raining. Snow tomorrow.
    Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park | North Carolina's Mountain Bike Park

I would not expect trails to re-open anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hopefully now that the cold is coming in things will get a little better. Once the snow has a chance to melt off and we get some more cold it should be in pretty good shape. Last year if you could time it right in the morning the trails were bulletproof they were so hard. Many days if we had a good cold night and it didn't get over 50 for more than a couple of hours it would stay that way all day. Right now the only thing holding that back is the snow cover and who knows when it will get warm enough to melt. Although a little snow on the trail's lots of fun. Hopefully the powers that be will be actively evaluating trail conditions and not just waiting for spring. Rode up there right before it closed down a couple of weeks ago and the trail was great except at the entrance. I actually carried the bike in past the mud and had a terrific ride. Miss it when it's closed!

mtbr member
    Update on condition:

My wife and I elected to walk the lowest loop, Rocky Branch, to assess the damage from the massive rains we had last Wednesday. The beauty of the Knob covered in snow is something to behold- the massive icicles, the crunch of the fresh snow, just the purity of it all.

The good: not much tree litter on the trail and nothing massive across the trail. Given the amount of rain we had, the trail did better than the Boone mall parking lot or the Watauga River. The damage was surely mitigated by excellent trail design and building. Kudos to all those involved over the past couple years. You know who you are!

The bad: You can't have that much water without some damage and there was some. The entrance trail was heavily rutted as was a few sections of the lower loop. There's a new spring/seep/stream bubbling up right in the middle of the trail that coming from underneath a tree. This may subside after some time as it is near on of the creeks.

The ground is frozen and snow-covered today but you can tell the little soil we had has washed away as there is a quite a bit of loose rock. Lots of rock has washed into the trail, ranging from basketball-size on down. A fair amount of rutting in spots where water was crossing the trail, but nothing that can't be fixed.

A "thanks" to the riders who rode around the "trail closed" gate and proceeded to damage the trail even further. Three bikes, two of which appear to be downhillers given the tire size. Your hides better be at the first trail day to show some remorse as you did a fine job of tearing up the trail in spots, ya' bunch of brake-draggers. More bike than than talent from my observations.

To sum it up, proper trail design went a long way to withstanding the onslaught of Mother Nature and it won't take much time to whip it back into shape.

That is all for now.

-Lule

mtbr member
    "Three bikes, two of which appear to be downhillers given the tire size."

Just for reference, my 2.35 Hans Dampf on my trail bike are bigger than my 2.5 minions on my downhill bike. So you cant really point the finger at one particular crowd because of tire size.

mtbr member
    Trap121, you are correct; I'm making assumptions. However, I believe your focusing on minutia and not the problem at hand. Your comment is basically a "red herring."

I have no animosity towards any style bike and our park does actually have fabulous downhill sections, however, I don't care for riders who willfully damage the hard work that was put in by many people over long hours.

-Lule

mtbr member

Rocky Knob trails close for winter season

Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    Trap121, you are correct; I'm making assumptions. However, I believe your focusing on minutia and not the problem at hand. Your comment is basically a "red herring."

I have no animosity towards any style bike and our park does actually have fabulous downhill sections, however, I don't care for riders who willfully damage the hard work that was put in by many people over long hours.

-Lule
    I agree completely, a lot of work has been done there and people need to respect that if the conditions are bad. I just didn't want one style of rider being blamed for what could of been anybody.
    Last edited by trap121; 02-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Easy there, self-appointed thread monitor!

I've walked every foot of trail there several times over, staring at tires tracks left in all types of conditions and am reasonably confident of my assessment.

What I'm doing is calling them out, hoping they read this forum, and that I now know they are out there and that I will be visiting the Knob on a more frequent basis.

I feel you are well meaning with your concerns, but maybe you are worried about something that just doesn't exist. I'm looking to inform and educate, not start a fight. There's enough divisiveness in the world without me adding to it.

Frankly, I don't care what kind of bike people ride. To each their own.

-Lule