Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rocky Knob Park- Boone NC

27K views 121 replies 40 participants last post by  streamkeeper 
#1 ·
Trail Dynamics was selected for a design/build contract for this new mountain bike facility in Boone. http://booneareaoutdoors.com/2010/07/14/trail-days-of-summer/

Phase 1 is currently under contract, this will be the beginners' loop trail which is just under 2 miles.

The design team (Kristian, Chuck and Bob) have been working for 2 weeks on the design and that is now complete. Volunteers began clearing corridor on July 22 and will work again this weekend. Trail Dynamics will begin machine rough in of the trail on Monday July 26. There are several very burly rock gardens to get through on this first loop.

Plans for the whole park include:

- More mountain bike loops including moderate and more difficult loops
- A flow trail with jumps
- An adventure playground at the trailhead
- Skills areas of different difficulty levels (beginners and more advanced)

This is a hybrid contract with TD staff responsible for the trail design and rough and finished grading with machines, while volunteers are responsible for corridor clearing and finish work.

This coming week is a great opportunity to get involved in the project. We have a kick off meeting at the Broyhill at 6PM on Thursday July 29. This will be a 1.5 hr general overview of what the project is all about. We will show some photos of what the landscape on Rocky Knob looks like, but also some images of visions for the complete trail system (all loops) and what we want the trails to look like.

On Sat. July 31 we will be presenting a Sustainable Trails Design workshop at the Best Western and out at the park. Indoor session will be 9-12 and then lunch, followed by a field session for crew leaders and volunteers from 2-6 at the park.

For more info, check out the Boone Area Cyclist website:
http://www.booneareacyclists.com/

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/story/Officials_break_ground_on_biking_trails_id_003028

This is a very exciting project and TD is super excited about the potential for this park to have a great trail system. We look forward to working with many of the locals up there in the high country to develop the park and trails to the fullest potential.

Woody

See less See more
#26 ·
Update

Close to a mile of trail has been roughed in by machine by TD's Bob Karriker. BAC volunteers remain highly motivated and are working on corridor clearing and finish work behind the mini-ex.

I have attached a map that shows a progress report. Work will continue for the rest of Sept, and then mid Oct on (with a short break from Bob on the project. Stay tuned to the BAC website for updates and volunteer days which are happening on a regular basis.

Attachments

#31 ·
Alright, guys. I'm considering making the drive from Hendersonville to Boone to ride this Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park. Is it free? Is it open all day every day? Are the bridges and stunts fun? Just looking for some more info. I've checked out rockyknob.wordpress.com, and it looks like fun. Is it worth the drive?

#33 ·
Free? Yes. 24/7? Yes. Bridge and stunts fun? Yes. It would take some time to hit every drop, jump, bridge, skinny and obstacle. Some come in to just to do the jump line. Some dig the techy climbs.

Is it worth the drive? Probably at least once!

Lule

#37 ·
Just got back, and it was a good time! Not as technical as I was expecting, but more flowy! The downhill trail (PBJ?) was excellent (perfect for my mediocre jumping skills), and the skills areas were challenging. I highly recommend people get out to Rocky Knob at least once! I'll be going out there again :)

#43 ·
It all depends on the weather.

The frost/thaw cycle has begun and I saw some spots, during my walk of the lower two loops last Saturday, where the dirt sections had gone from tacky to gooey already.

Really, there is no way to physically block anyone from riding there when it's closed. Good riders respect the 'closed' sign and understand why it's closed, although there will always be the egocentric types who will go in and damage the trails anyway.

Just use your best judgement.

-Lule

#45 ·
Any current trail info?

I just found out this morning that I will be heading to Boone tomorrow for the funeral of a family member. I'll probably be in town for 2-3 days... I figured I'd check out Rocky Knob while I'm in town to brighten an otherwise sad trip... (if the trails are in good shape.) Can someone local chime in? Thanks.

#49 · (Edited)
Rode it Monday afternoon. lower section is indeed a little moist but not awful. Upper trails are fine and coming back down was dry and uneventful.
Chance of rain late tomorrow so It should be good to go for early or afternoon ride,enjoy!
On another note anyone Know why the pump track was removed?
Are they going to build another?

#58 ·
anyone Know why the pump track was removed?
Are they going to build another?
The PT was removed to build a bigger and better one; the previous two were temporary. You'll definitely see a new one by early spring. It will be at the "sunset skills area" as noted on this map.

No specfic schedule. They close it when hard freezes begin and freeze/thaw action and bikes cuase tread damage.
Yes, as Woodman says, there is no schedule for this. RKP is a Watauga County park, and last year a representative from the county made the call to close the trails and protect the resource. This could happen again. From what I hear, the long-range plan is to add more DGA to the lowest loop which will help the situation.

If all or a portion of the trails close, it will be posted on the RKP blog and the Twitter site.

#50 ·
In addition to warm, it has been very dry for quite some time. There may be a few soft spots due to humid nights and a bit of freeze/thaw, but it should be good riding conditions. If you ride early AM, just be aware of possible thin frost on any of the wood structures.

#52 ·
I got to ride a short loop last night, finished with the PB n J trail... Lot of fun. I'm going to try to get a little more in tomorrow morning before I head back (if I can stand the cold) great trail, glad I stopped by. Props to those who contributed!

#54 ·
No specfic schedule. They close it when hard freezes begin and freeze/thaw action and bikes cuase tread damage. It would open the following spring when hard freezes seem to be over with. Needless to say, winters vary these days. I lived in Boone for 15 years stating back in the early 80s, back then the area would be under snow by now. Climate change has extended the riding season and the riding should still be good up there now, but I would guess the days are numbered for this year.

#59 ·
The built up area where the Sunset Skills area is to be is not huge. Big enough for a pump track, but not much more. The steep edge drop off will mean there needs to be a setback for safety reasons. There is not a good way to get a roll in for the pump track.

I would expect that this new 3 try pump track will be bigger but not by much. Some sunset watching benches outside of the PT would be a good addition.

RKP is an awesome place. Kudos to Boone Area Cyclists for the dedication to make this happen, we really enjoyed working with the local riders. See you in spring when I have my scheduled site visit and risk management inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.