Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 122
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7
    This places sounds cool can hardly wait to try it.

  2. #52
    Jackalope Hunter
    Reputation: jayjudy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    899
    I got to ride a short loop last night, finished with the PB n J trail... Lot of fun. I'm going to try to get a little more in tomorrow morning before I head back (if I can stand the cold) great trail, glad I stopped by. Props to those who contributed!
    B Team represent

    OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trap121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    285
    How long does RN close in the winter?

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    How long does RN close in the winter?
    No specfic schedule. They close it when hard freezes begin and freeze/thaw action and bikes cuase tread damage. It would open the following spring when hard freezes seem to be over with. Needless to say, winters vary these days. I lived in Boone for 15 years stating back in the early 80s, back then the area would be under snow by now. Climate change has extended the riding season and the riding should still be good up there now, but I would guess the days are numbered for this year.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: motomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    74
    The trails are in great shape as of yesterday

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    The trails are in great shape as of yesterday
    Yes they were! But...

    we're about to have some significant rain today with snow this evening followed by freeze/thaw for the foreseeable future.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    Yes they were! But...

    we're about to have some significant rain today with snow this evening followed by freeze/thaw for the foreseeable future.

    That could be the game changer for trail conditions. When it gets cold but the tread soil is pretty dry, feeze does not have much effect. With rain and then weather gets cold, the freezing of soil and expansion is what breaks the soil apart. Best time to ride when those conditions set it is morning when things are still frozen.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    anyone Know why the pump track was removed?
    Are they going to build another?
    The PT was removed to build a bigger and better one; the previous two were temporary. You'll definitely see a new one by early spring. It will be at the "sunset skills area" as noted on this map.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    No specfic schedule. They close it when hard freezes begin and freeze/thaw action and bikes cuase tread damage.
    Yes, as Woodman says, there is no schedule for this. RKP is a Watauga County park, and last year a representative from the county made the call to close the trails and protect the resource. This could happen again. From what I hear, the long-range plan is to add more DGA to the lowest loop which will help the situation.

    If all or a portion of the trails close, it will be posted on the RKP blog and the Twitter site.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    The built up area where the Sunset Skills area is to be is not huge. Big enough for a pump track, but not much more. The steep edge drop off will mean there needs to be a setback for safety reasons. There is not a good way to get a roll in for the pump track.

    I would expect that this new 3 try pump track will be bigger but not by much. Some sunset watching benches outside of the PT would be a good addition.

    RKP is an awesome place. Kudos to Boone Area Cyclists for the dedication to make this happen, we really enjoyed working with the local riders. See you in spring when I have my scheduled site visit and risk management inspection.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Let's Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,098
    What is the current mileage?


    What's the timetable for opening new sections?
    Zippity do dah...

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Ride View Post
    What is the current mileage?


    What's the timetable for opening new sections?
    Total mileage is around 8 now, with 4 skills areas. As far as I know, everything opened this year. No new sections to open.

  12. #62
    Jackalope Hunter
    Reputation: jayjudy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    899
    I had a great ride last Thursday morning before heading back south to the flatlands. I didn't have a ton of time but it was well worth getting up extra early. It was about 28 degrees out, good times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Knob Park- Boone NC-img_0133-800x600-.jpg  

    B Team represent

    OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

  13. #63
    Abby Design & Constructio
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    121
    I can't sit still. Must ride must ride must ride must ride......

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Total mileage is around 8 now, with 4 skills areas. As far as I know, everything opened this year. No new sections to open.
    So, a total of 8 miles of trails in a 185 acre park ??? I'm not sure I would call that a "destination"...

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    So, a total of 8 miles of trails in a 185 acre park ??? I'm not sure I would call that a "destination"...
    It is a quality over quanity situation. The park is the first of it's kind in NC and has a jump trail, hucks off of rocks, and log skinnies leading to rock hucks. And yes, I have seen folks from all over riding there including kids who live in Brevard.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    So, a total of 8 miles of trails in a 185 acre park ??? I'm not sure I would call that a "destination"...
    Don't be so "Walmart-y" about the distance.

    That 8 miles require skill, finesse, confidence, and a reasonable level of fitness.

    Come to our park and ride up to the top and back down without dabbing or clear all of the technical features on the trails or in the skills areas.

    After you've mastered the trails, roll into town and have a delicious beer at our new brewery! Shoot, I'll buy you one if you clear the skinny-rock-skinny-rock-drop in the advanced skills area.

    Come and enjoy what we've built!

    Lule

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474

    RKP video

    If you haven't seen this...

    http://vimeo.com/tommypenick/rockyknobpark

    Lule

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    630
    I rode the trails last fall and they are beyond great. I'm just wondering if there is room for expansion down the road, or will it always be 8 miles. I'm glad that the park is filling the free ride niche for younger riders, but my technical riding days are over. But hey, I'm all in when you guys come up with a declining skills park.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    There is not really much room for more trail at Rocky Knob and the building is very difficult and nearly impossible to build easy trail in due to all the rock. Boone Area Cyclist are working with TDA to identify a new location for additional trails, and hopefully some true beginer trail.

    From a contractors standpoint, BAC and TDA were great to work with. I have a scheduled risk management inspection coming up and I look forward to visiting the knob and get a ride in as well as my work.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    There is not really much room for more trail at Rocky Knob and the building is very difficult and nearly impossible to build easy trail in due to all the rock. Boone Area Cyclist are working with TDA to identify a new location for additional trails, and hopefully some true beginer trail.

    From a contractors standpoint, BAC and TDA were great to work with. I have a scheduled risk management inspection coming up and I look forward to visiting the knob and get a ride in as well as my work.
    Thanks. I know it varies with the terrain, but how many acres do you typically need to get a mile of trail ? I guess I was expecting 185 acres to produce more mileage, but I recognize the terrain and rocks were a bear on this one.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Thanks. I know it varies with the terrain, but how many acres do you typically need to get a mile of trail ? I guess I was expecting 185 acres to produce more mileage, but I recognize the terrain and rocks were a bear on this one.
    You answered your question with the opening statement, it varies greatly by terrian. There are many other variables to the question:

    -How much trail density is allowed, desired, and makes sense?
    -How much trail can be afforded by the land managing agency or private land owner?
    -Do you want to have a sense of "being out there" or are trails on top of trails OK?
    -Vegatation provides some barrier from one trail to the next, how thick is the under-story?
    -How steep is the land and is it possible to build many or only few turns and switchbacks?

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    630
    I was reading the reviews and one guy mentioned that the price tag on RKP was a million dollars ! Is that accurate ?

  24. #74
    Abby Design & Constructio
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    121

    I live in Boone. Lets ride when it opens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    Don't be so "Walmart-y" about the distance.

    That 8 miles require skill, finesse, confidence, and a reasonable level of fitness.

    Come to our park and ride up to the top and back down without dabbing or clear all of the technical features on the trails or in the skills areas.

    After you've mastered the trails, roll into town and have a delicious beer at our new brewery! Shoot, I'll buy you one if you clear the skinny-rock-skinny-rock-drop in the advanced skills area.

    Come and enjoy what we've built!

    Lule
    My names Will Vandenberg. Lets ride sometime

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    I was reading the reviews and one guy mentioned that the price tag on RKP was a million dollars ! Is that accurate ?
    No!!!!!!! Not any where close to that large of a number. Don't believe enverything you hear (or read on the intertubes).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •