Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Update

Close to a mile of trail has been roughed in by machine by TD's Bob Karriker. BAC volunteers remain highly motivated and are working on corridor clearing and finish work behind the mini-ex.

I have attached a map that shows a progress report. Work will continue for the rest of Sept, and then mid Oct on (with a short break from Bob on the project. Stay tuned to the BAC website for updates and volunteer days which are happening on a regular basis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Knob Park- Boone NC-rocky_knob_9_13_10.jpg  

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    Trail apparently now open. Hope to check it out next week.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
    Trail apparently now open. Hope to check it out next week.
    2 loops are now open, enjoy.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Had a chance to ride here last weekend, very nice. If I had to compare it to anything local (Asheville),
    It's as though Ridgeline has been recreated using material from Farlow. Flowy/rocky at it's best.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    You ain't seen nothin' yet!

The upper section is coming along nicely and is going to be incredible. Wait until you see the bridges that have been built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Alright, guys. I'm considering making the drive from Hendersonville to Boone to ride this Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park. Is it free? Is it open all day every day? Are the bridges and stunts fun? Just looking for some more info. I've checked out rockyknob.wordpress.com, and it looks like fun. Is it worth the drive?

mtbr member
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Alright, guys. I'm considering making the drive from Hendersonville to Boone to ride this Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park. Is it free? Is it open all day every day? Are the bridges and stunts fun? Just looking for some more info. I've checked out rockyknob.wordpress.com, and it looks like fun. Is it worth the drive?
    Free? Yes. 24/7? Yes. Bridge and stunts fun? Yes. It would take some time to hit every drop, jump, bridge, skinny and obstacle. Some come in to just to do the jump line. Some dig the techy climbs.

Is it worth the drive? Probably at least once!

Lule

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks! Looks like I'll be driving up there on Monday.

mtbr member
    More than worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    MTB24, hope you had a great ride!. Please take a minute and fill out the trail survey. This data will help show that RKP is being used by out-of-town visitors. Many of you on this board have visited also, and we could use your thoughts too. Thanks for this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just got back, and it was a good time! Not as technical as I was expecting, but more flowy! The downhill trail (PBJ?) was excellent (perfect for my mediocre jumping skills), and the skills areas were challenging. I highly recommend people get out to Rocky Knob at least once! I'll be going out there again

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I was there for the first time this past Tuesday... excellent riding. I see there's a trail survey which I will fill out.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Haven't been there yet, but will hit it, weather permitting, in the next couple of months. BIG question though, I am a SS 29er guy, with a full rigid bike. Will I be able to handle the inclines in this park?

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by spistols View Post
    Haven't been there yet, but will hit it, weather permitting, in the next couple of months. BIG question though, I am a SS 29er guy, with a full rigid bike. Will I be able to handle the inclines in this park?
    IMHO if you are a strong rider, which you probably are, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spistols View Post
    Ryan at Magic Cycles rides the same setup as you and seems to have no problems. I'll stop by and ask him if he's been to the top and how doable it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is the park closing for the winter again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoPaper View Post
    Is the park closing for the winter again?
    It all depends on the weather.

The frost/thaw cycle has begun and I saw some spots, during my walk of the lower two loops last Saturday, where the dirt sections had gone from tacky to gooey already.

Really, there is no way to physically block anyone from riding there when it's closed. Good riders respect the 'closed' sign and understand why it's closed, although there will always be the egocentric types who will go in and damage the trails anyway.

Just use your best judgement.

-Lule

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Man, I hope it stays warm a couple more weeks as I'll be renting a house the weekend of 12/8 that's only 4 miles away from the park.
    Didn't even know about Rocky Knob until stumbling upon this thread; so very cool!

Jackalope Hunter

Any current trail info?

I just found out this morning that I will be heading to Boone tomorrow for the funeral of a family member. I'll probably be in town for 2-3 days... I figured I'd check out Rocky Knob while I'm in town to brighten an otherwise sad trip... (if the trails are in good shape.) Can someone local chime in? Thanks.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Messy and slippery in spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Weather is really warm for this time of year, should be a good day for a ride.

Tons of folks were out over the weekend, reports are the parking lot was full. Enjoy.

Jackalope Hunter
    Well hopefully not messy in too many spots... A full parking lot over the past weekend sounds promising. My hotel appears to be 4 miles from the trail, sounds like ill have to hit it...

Thanks for the info...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Rode it Monday afternoon. lower section is indeed a little moist but not awful. Upper trails are fine and coming back down was dry and uneventful.
    Chance of rain late tomorrow so It should be good to go for early or afternoon ride,enjoy!
    On another note anyone Know why the pump track was removed?
    Are they going to build another?
    Last edited by carverboy; 12-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In addition to warm, it has been very dry for quite some time. There may be a few soft spots due to humid nights and a bit of freeze/thaw, but it should be good riding conditions. If you ride early AM, just be aware of possible thin frost on any of the wood structures.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast