Fence guru
    Nov 2008

Roadside campsite in pisgah for 18' camper

Just bought an 18' camper. I usually just tent camp in pisgah but now will be sleeping and showering! post ride in luxury!! Does anyone know where some good roadside sites are that will fit my camper. Prefereably near mills river or davidson river campgrounds or in the cradle of forestry, or a website.map that lists the campsite locations? the only ones I can think of are on the way up to horse cove gap?
    thanks in advance
    ps do you think it is safe to leave the camper out there during the day ...

pronounced may-duh
    I don't think any of the roadside sites will fit your camper. The pay campgrounds are your best bet.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I have trailer as well, and I agree with Maida...just pay for a site. Safer, easier, and you may get a hookup...not sure which places have elec and water. You also get access to a dump station.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

pronounced may-duh
    Hook ups are rare. Bent creek has a handful. Davidson River and North Mills have none.

I use one of those small, quite Honda generators when I camp in Pisgah. But having heat this time of year is fantastic.

drunken pirate
    I've seen campers at roadside campsites along FR5000. Specifically at the site at Moore Cove and the one at Bad Fork.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    A lot of it your depends on the size / length of your tow vehicle. Be realistic, plan for extra room to unhook and to be fully parked off the road. That being said: There are 3 or so nice roadside sites on 1206 west of the North Mills River Campground. On 477 there are 3 to 4 roadside sites adjacent to the Hwy 276 entrance. I am speaking from experiance as I have easily used these sites with our camper. As a long time tent camper you just can't deny a shower and dry roof after a nice ride .
    I would not count on electrical hookups at Davidson River Campground unless it is winter. and or you want a hot shower. That place stays pretty busy and only a few sites out of the 100+ have hookups.
    Also there are 2 or 3 roadside sites on Curtis Creek Rd. that may fit your needs if your ever out that way.

The longer the ride - the better the pain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Back in the day, there were plenty of spaces you could squeeze in a small trailer and not worry about it. The only place I can think of now is off of Yellow Gap Rd., after you turn towards the gauging station on SMR; off the top of my head I don't remember the number of that road - but it is the only gravel road that turns off of Yellow Gap. There is a cluster of designated campsites that are geared towards the horse crowd; you could squeeze in a small trailer there no problem. With that said, I have a trailer and I would not leave it unattended anywhere in Pisgah but for a develped campground. The first loop at Davidson River Campground now has electricity, but the loop is non-reservable, so if in spring,summer,fall you need to get there on a Thursday. Like the previous posts mention, Bent Creek has a handful of full hookup sites and they are reservable and they are sweet. While the Bent Creek campground is not a convenient as Davidson River to Pisgah proper, it is less crowded, noisy, etc. A small camper can't be beat; when we purchased ours I thought I was going to have to hand in my man card, my outdoor card, and burn my Ed Abbey books, but I've survived.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    ahahahahahah kind of the way I felt - I have always tent camped roadside or stayed in mills river /davidson river - just trying to be frugal (camper bills now due) and stay roadside for the weekend. It would only be for 1-2 nights so I dont really need hookups. LAke Powahtan closes in the winter right?

Quote Originally Posted by Punker
    Back in the day, there were plenty of spaces you could squeeze in a small trailer and not worry about it. The only place I can think of now is off of Yellow Gap Rd., after you turn towards the gauging station on SMR; off the top of my head I don't remember the number of that road - but it is the only gravel road that turns off of Yellow Gap. There is a cluster of designated campsites that are geared towards the horse crowd; you could squeeze in a small trailer there no problem. With that said, I have a trailer and I would not leave it unattended anywhere in Pisgah but for a develped campground. The first loop at Davidson River Campground now has electricity, but the loop is non-reservable, so if in spring,summer,fall you need to get there on a Thursday. Like the previous posts mention, Bent Creek has a handful of full hookup sites and they are reservable and they are sweet. While the Bent Creek campground is not a convenient as Davidson River to Pisgah proper, it is less crowded, noisy, etc. A small camper can't be beat; when we purchased ours I thought I was going to have to hand in my man card, my outdoor card, and burn my Ed Abbey books, but I've survived.