mtbr member

road riding is fine when the trails are breathing

Riding on the road is good stuff. Find some back roads in your area and go explore. You can get in a much more specific/quality work out, save the trails and your expensive rig at the same time. Single track here is asking you for a break, trust me. While the trail never officially close for condition, they should.

Trust me when I say that road riding will make you a better person. It will make you better on the mountain bike come spring. Wait for the trails to freeze or dry, or don't be surprised when your bike doesn't shifty shift so well, or brakey brake so good neither.

Common sense is usually dulled w/ cabin fever, but if I see one more - trail conditions? thread in the middle of a thaw cycle?

Come on people, you don't get extra points for slogging through the mud!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    true dat. did you know that you can even ride your mountain bike on the road? Tinker Juarez does, and smiles too!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Riding on the road is good stuff. Find some back roads in your area and go explore. You can get in a much more specific/quality work out, save the trails and your expensive rig at the same time. Single track here is asking you for a break, trust me. While the trail never officially close for condition, they should.

Trust me when I say that road riding will make you a better person. It will make you better on the mountain bike come spring. Wait for the trails to freeze or dry, or don't be surprised when your bike doesn't shifty shift so well, or brakey brake so good neither.

Common sense is usually dulled w/ cabin fever, but if I see one more - trail conditions? thread in the middle of a thaw cycle?

Fair weather riders

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Right on cue.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    Right on cue.
    exactly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Watch out, MTBR police have spoken.

Big Mac

Have you actually been to in the woods? I'm curious as to where you found all this mud! All I seem to find is snow.

mtbr member
    You obviously have hairy legs and only ride dirt. I can't even have a conversation w/ any of you. It takes exactly 2.2oz of Chamois butter, properly shaven legs, a HR strap attached to your chest, pristine trail conditions, tires inflated to 35.7psi, plenty of gravel road sections to drop fat mountain bikers, and water bottles filled only half way (to save weight) to ride on trails in Pisgah correctly.

You're all doing it wrong.

erm,

What I should have said was - use your common sense. I've been known to push the so called envelop too! Gasp! However when we see 6+ inches of snow in Asheville proper one can only assume poor trail conditions in the woods.

Mud dude - I dunno, I look out my window, I see bikes come in covered with mud, I walk in my lawn and my shoes weigh more after I'm through. Call it a leap of faith.

But y'all are right. To each their own. Just don't say I never tried to contribute here!

lol, you can tell I haven't been riding much either. Starting to twitch and post on stupid forums way too much...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    see the above thread instead. Much more positive/useful thread geared towards same subject...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    eh, the more I think about it - remove the sarcasm and soap box and you all know I have a point. newbies to the sport don't understand that road riding is OK, especially this time of year. All you old fogies that are set in your ways, that's fine - I do BAD things too...

it's cool.
    My one says BRAP!

banned
    see the above thread instead. Much more positive/useful thread geared towards same subject...
    but MUCH less entertaining.

Official Cooler Inspector
    "...newbies to the sport don't understand that road riding is OK, especially this time of year. All you old fogies that are set in your ways, that's fine"

My 1976 Fuji S-10s is fine.

LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Road riding is a great thing because you can wear a skirt while you ride and not worry about it snagging on a tree branch. So come on ladies, dust off your slicks, through those baggy pants in the corner, take a hot bath to shave your legs, toss on the old catholic school girl outfit and go ride you some roads. (BTW - this is not an attack on anyone - Just having some fun.) HA -----