mtbr member

Riding solo in Pisgah?

Hello,

I'm taking a solo biking trip to Pisgah in mid-June and am doing some tentative ride planning now. I don't know anyone in the area so I'm counting on riding solo most of the time, unless I happen to meet up with someone willing to show me around. Are there any trails that should absolutely NOT be ridden solo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    I would consider contacting the Hub or Sycamore cycles. They could help you put together a route. If you are looking for a place to stay you may want to consider The Red House. It's a B&B in Brevard and the owner Daniel is a mountain bike rider. He would be glad to help you put something together. After racing there this past weekend I would make sure the route did not include going up Black mountain. Good luck!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Are there any trails that should absolutely NOT be ridden solo?
    If you are properly prepared you will be fine. This means....map, food, water, clothing, water purification, fire, emergency blanket, first aid, and a phone w/ charged battery. Use common sense, know where you are, and adjust your risk tolerance to the situation.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would make sure that you go up AND down Black. It's awesome.

Echoing what the person above said, be prepared. Pisgah miles are 2X normal XC miles in terms of time and effort.

Here are my favorite two rides I've done in Pisgah. One is most of the west side trails, while the other hits the good east side stuff. The only thing I'd add is Black Mountain to the East side, but I didn't have the legs that day. I'll be doing that ride but WITH Black here soon.

East: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | PisgAhhhhhhhh feels so good near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava

West: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Pisgah Fall Trip - Day 1 near Brevard | Times and Records | Strava

The best deal for maps is the iPhone PDF Pisgah Map Company map. There is an App that lets you download their amazing app and will overlay your location on top of the map. It's $7 for the map compared to $14 for paper copy and the real time location is awesome.

Otherwise, you can get a lot out of the paper map to plan your route and having OSM Maps (free) on your Garmin 800+ device, as most of the Pisgah trails are layed out on the OSM maps.

-Tom

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Riding solo in Pisgah?

I'd probably avoid Farlow. I've done it alone, but it's very remote and rugged. Some will say that this is one of the best trails in Pisgah. To each their own. I'm not fond of the long fire road climb, and the nastiness of the descent. If you do ride this trail, drop your seat, slide back, and hold on for dear life.

I'm sure some people can ride most of this. In my opinion, if you're not a trials rider, have some remaining sanity, and are alone, you'll probably walk significant sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    I would make sure that you go up AND down Black. It's awesome.

Echoing what the person above said, be prepared. Pisgah miles are 2X normal XC miles in terms of time and effort.

Here are my favorite two rides I've done in Pisgah. One is most of the west side trails, while the other hits the good east side stuff. The only thing I'd add is Black Mountain to the East side, but I didn't have the legs that day. I'll be doing that ride but WITH Black here soon.

East: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | PisgAhhhhhhhh feels so good near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava

West: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Pisgah Fall Trip - Day 1 near Brevard | Times and Records | Strava

The best deal for maps is the iPhone PDF Pisgah Map Company map. There is an App that lets you download their amazing app and will overlay your location on top of the map. It's $7 for the map compared to $14 for paper copy and the real time location is awesome.

Otherwise, you can get a lot out of the paper map to plan your route and having OSM Maps (free) on your Garmin 800+ device, as most of the Pisgah trails are layed out on the OSM maps.

-Tom

Tom,

This is great information, thanks so much. I'll definitely download that app. What I'm thinking of is one long-ish ride in the morning and then a shorter one in the late afternoon, or one huge ride like those which you posted. Is cell reception decent out there?
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No reception. The App pre-downloads the maps and uses them without the need for data/cell service. But that's also why some people prefer paper maps. I use a combo of paper maps and Garmin 800 myself.

-Tom

mtbr member
    [

-Tom[/QUOTE]

If I read this track correctly, progfan1 should know that a large leg of this one is seasonal trail only open to mountain bikes from 10/15-4/15. Please do not ride seasonal trails, especially Cat Gap coming down into the Fish Hatchery, during the heart of summer. You'll just piss off about 100 hikers who actually have the right to be jerks to you riding a seasonal trail.

Debbie Downer out.

mtbr member
    If I read this track correctly, progfan1 should know that a large leg of this one is seasonal trail only open to mountain bikes from 10/15-4/15. Please do not ride seasonal trails, especially Cat Gap coming down into the Fish Hatchery, during the heart of summer. You'll just piss off about 100 hikers who actually have the right to be jerks to you riding a seasonal trail.

Debbie Downer out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Mike. I'll definitely avoid those areas. I've browsed the SORBA site and a couple of others and will definitely check in at The Hub for some more help in planning my rides.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    May 2007

Debbie Downer out.[/QUOTE]

That route was Davidson River Tr. > 475 > 471 > 471D > Butter Gap > Long Branch > 475 > 229 > Farlow Gap > Daniel Ridge > 475 > Cove Creek > 225 > Daniel Ridge > 475 > Davidson River Tr

No seasonal Cat Gap included. We turned and went back up Long Branch which is legal according to Pisgah Map Company.

Although there is a spot where we accidentally turned on the Art Loeb and looked like jackasses in front of a couple of hikers. Oooops.

Here is my GPS of the same day (Tom's signal dropped a couple of times.)

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Davidson River Tr. > 475 > 471 > 471D > Butter Gap > Long Branch > 475 > 229 > Farlow Gap > Daniel Ridge > 475 > Cove Creek > 225 > Daniel Ridge > 475 > Davidson River Tr near Brevard | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also, here is a ride I like to when I go stay at Davidson River with my wife and kids. I do it solo. It loops around on itself so you are never too far away from civilization and there are a number bailouts and ways you can make shorter rides. It hits some really fun downhills and the trails are fairly popular so it's not as remote as places like Farlow can seem/be.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Clawhammer > Black > Buckwheat > Club > Avery > Buckhorn > Clawhammer > Maxwell > Black near United States | Times and Records | Strava

Favorite Spot by regularjoe, on Flickr

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Hey man - what's the name of that app? I searched the app store for 'pisgah map company,' then realized that I you're talking about a third-party app that's a viewer for their PDF.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nm - figures that I should've just checked their homepage. It's called Avenza, and details are at Mobile | Pisgah Map Company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Nm - figures that I should've just checked their homepage. It's called Avenza, and details are at Mobile | Pisgah Map Company.
    Thanks for posting that. Just downloaded the map.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by regularjoe View Post
    Also, here is a ride I like to when I go stay at Davidson River with my wife and kids. I do it solo. It loops around on itself so you are never too far away from civilization and there are a number bailouts and ways you can make shorter rides. It hits some really fun downhills and the trails are fairly popular so it's not as remote as places like Farlow can seem/be.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Clawhammer > Black > Buckwheat > Club > Avery > Buckhorn > Clawhammer > Maxwell > Black near United States | Times and Records | Strava

Favorite Spot by regularjoe, on Flickr
    regularjoe,

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm there 4 days, so hoping to do a couple of these and 3-4 shorter trails.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

About Pisgah maps via PDF-Maps

Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Glad you found them! In addition to Pisgah and Bent Creek, there are other digital maps like DuPont, Tsali and Gorges State Park. Obviously, Gorges is more hiking based. There are also some individual ride maps available. We are adding more over time but also working on new maps for print like Pisgah Northeast of Asheville. That map may be broken into several digital maps.

Currently, the PDF-Maps app is only available for iPhone however Android is in Beta 5 so it should be released soon. Essentially, you download the free app and can then search and purchase maps by many vendors. There are some free maps as well. You could also scan a QR Code on our website and go directly to a map. The free app will gain functionality over time and not affect the maps you have purchased. Just make them better.

Current functionality can be seen here:

Maps Go Mobile | Avenza PDF Maps

One thing to note - our print 'Pisgah' map is broken into 2 digital pdf-maps based on having different scales on each side of the original print version. One for Bent Creek and one for the other side. We essentially split the digital price between the 2 sides. This will probably be changed in the future to reflect how much more you get with the non-Bent Creek side. Simple speak - now is the time to purchase the Pisgah side if you want it for 7 bucks.

One other note - we strongly encourage people carry a paper map as backup as well as planning trips before hitting the woods.