mtbr member

riding season in NC planning a trip

My brother lives in Salisbury, NC and I'm planning on driving down to visit next year and would like to get some biking in. What time of year is best? And what are the must rides?

pronounced may-duh
    Any time year round is OK. If you had to pick, I'd avoid the hottest time in the summer and the coldest days of winter. But really you could ride here year round.

Lake Norman State Park is the closest trails that I know of. If your into retro bikes, visit the very cool people at Firstflight bikes in Statesville.

The "must ride" trails further west in Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont, etc...

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much open to going anywhere. I guess I should have specified that it doesn't have to be near Salisbury. I just want to hit some of these legendary NC trails I hear/read about.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    What kind of riding do you like the best? IMO Bent Creek has some of the funnest trails to ride down but Dupont has the best views. I have found my way around pretty easily to with the help of a map. I do not make it up often to WNC but when I do I make it last all day, so plan accordingly.

pronounced may-duh
    Lotsa good route info here http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=7

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    while i've ridden and enjoyed bc and dupont, they both have elements of being "bike parks." for the true pisgah experience, you must ride some of the long backcountry trails, like laurel mountain, squirrel gap, big creek down from the parkway, the hatchery clover etc. there's plenty of free camping in the area around north mills river or off fr1206. base yourself there and you can ride from camp everyday.

i've ridden all over the country, and there's nothing like these trails anywhere. i miss the hell out of them.

mtbr member
    I really don't know how to classify my riding. I not a crazy downhill rider or technical type. Not looking for jumps or gaps or anything like that. I've been mountain biking since like '95 and ride a 120mm travel full suspension and a 26" rigid. I just enjoy ripping up good singletrack. Which from what I understand you guys have plenty to offer.

mtbr member
    For Charlotte Area trails, checkout www.TarheelTrailblazers.com

Poplar Tent is about 30 minutes away. It's probably the most challenging in the area. A nice 10-11 miles of singletrack.

Lake Norman State Park is about 45 minutes away. Fast and flowing. 17 miles of singletrack.

The Uwharrie Nat. Forest is close, but I don't know anything about it. I hear Greensboro has some nice trails, too.

A little further away (1:30 each way), there are trails near North Wilkesboro http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm. Definitely worth the drive.

Pisgah and Dupont are great, but they're three hours away.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Looks like I have plenty of choices of places to ride. Sounds like now the only problem is going to be time and not having enough of it.