mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Riding at Harbison question, ride there from Irmo?

I'll be in Columbia, SC next week, specifically Irmo and it appears that Harbison is the only real option for a quick after work ride. If I'm staying in Irmo (near Columbiana Centre), can I just ride to the trail? Are the roads biker friendly? It looks like Harbison Blvd to 176 would take me there and it's only like 2 miles.

This might be considered taboo on MTBR but I'll also have my road bike. Can I do a decent road ride from Irmo directly from the hotel? I'd rather not drive out somewhere if I don't have to.

mtbr member
    Columbia isn't a bike friendly city in most places. I would never dream about riding my bike on harbison blvd. It's one of the busier traffic places in town. So no, unless your a daredevil or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride from there all of the time to the forest. Just stay on sidewalks until you cross I26. Then right on hillpine, left on piney woods. When you get to the intersection of broad river road and piney woods, there's a trail head across broad river to the right. or you can take a right on broad river road and the main parking lot is up on the left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    PS another option is this map here: Trail Map Page

At the mall, you can jump on these paved trails that go under the interstate and make your way over to the forest which is at the north east corner of the map.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks, looks like I have some options. I appreciate it.

From the sctrails map I found of Harbison, it looks like each little trail appears disjointed from the other. Is that true or do they all flow together? I'd like to ride about 1.5 hrs in the evening, and like to consider myself fit, so however far that means.

Where is spider woman 2 and bluff trail? I'm experienced and would prefer the more challenging loops and I think these were mentioned in the trail review section.

Quote Originally Posted by alefak View Post
    PS another option is this map here: Trail Map Page

At the mall, you can jump on these paved trails that go under the interstate and make your way over to the forest which is at the north east corner of the map.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Harbison forest trails flow together really well. Stick a map in your pocket and follow the letters to navigate. Thursday night SORBA ride meets in the parking lot at 6:30 pm. Go to one of those rides and they will get you oriented. Spider woman and bluffs are most difficult. Most normal people average 10-11 mph at harbison forest. You have to navigate to spiderwoman and bluffs via midlands mountain trail or stewardship trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's the official map online:
    SCFC Harbison Trail Guide

Ride Spider Woman clockwise

The new "bluffs" trail is not on the map, but it's at the far right corner of the map where stewardship takes a sharp left. If you do spider woman clockwise, when you come out, take a left (midlands mountain cw), after a mile or so you will come up a decent sized climb (for the area). Once you get to the top where it intersects with a fire road, you take a left and look for a big white rock that you ride over to enter the trail. It will come out on the climb you just came up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Harbison is pretty washed out thanks to the rain and race yesterday. It's do-able to ride there from your hotel, but it's not the safest ride.

For your road bike, you can make a nice 20-mile out-and-back using Lake Murray Boulevard. Get on Lake Murray Blvd heading away from the interstate (go up past the CVS) and in about 1 mile a bike lane starts that will take you across Lake Murray and all the way to downtown Lexington. The lake is scenic and there are several long (for this area) hills.

When the trail drains/dries, there are 2 group rides at Harbison this week:
    -Palmetto Fat Tire Society on Tuesdays 6:30pm
    -Midlands SORBA on Thursdays 6:30pm (double-check the time)

Good luck!
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TallChris View Post
    Harbison is pretty washed out thanks to the rain and race yesterday. It's do-able to ride there from your hotel, but it's not the safest ride.

For your road bike, you can make a nice 20-mile out-and-back using Lake Murray Boulevard. Get on Lake Murray Blvd heading away from the interstate (go up past the CVS) and in about 1 mile a bike lane starts that will take you across Lake Murray and all the way to downtown Lexington. The lake is scenic and there are several long (for this area) hills.

Good luck!
    I'll likely try the road ride today, but is it safe to assume Harbison is a muddy mess? How soon will it be rideable?

mtbr member
    The race conditions were a nightmare. I wouldn't ride out there until the weekend. Given that it doesn't rain again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TallChris View Post

Good luck!
    Is the bike lane shared on the road or is it a bike path? I guess it goes from Irmo to Lexington via Lake Murray/N Lake?

Is there a website to check the status of the group rides at Harbison?