lamer

New question here. Ride near Swannanoa?

Yes, another n00b "I ain't from 'round here. Where should I ride?" thread. I'll be around the Swannanoa, NC area July 4-7 and am looking to ride for a couple of hours one day at least. I've never been to the Asheville area, so I'm not exactly sure where everything is situated, nor how long it actually takes to get around the mountains there. From what I can find, the closet option is going to be Bent Creek, as it looks to be only about 30-40min away. I'd appreciate any directions to where to pick up a trail map, or suggestions for a nice route for a 1-2 hour fast intermediate ride. I've got no interest in riding gravel/fire roads. I'm certainly up for having someone show me around, too, but since I'll be staying with a bunch of non-riders, I'll have to figure out when I can slip away for a ride. It'll probably be Saturday or Sunday morning. Did the trails get as much rain as the rest of NC recently, and will they be ride-able by then?

I'm actually signed up for the Couch Potato, and as nice as it would be to try out some of those trails, I think that part of Pisgah wil be way too far from where we're staying.

Big Mac

Ride near Swannanoa?

Pisgah is not that far from swananowhere, depending upon where you are there. Maybe an hour or so. If you go to bent creek, get a map from motion makers. If you go to Pisgah, get a map from the Hub. However, your closest trailhead is probably kitsuma. All that said, we've had, and are still getting crap tons of rain. Embrace the gravel.

Official Cooler Inspector
    As of today, any off road biking is probably a no-go. Rivers might be exciting. Look up Pisgah Brewing and make a day of it.
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

Rogue Exterminator
    Kitsuma is really close (10 min from Swannanoa) but I don't know how well it holds up to the rain.
    Bent Creek gets sloppy when it rains but there are plenty of gravel roads to ride.
    DuPont is about 45 minutes from you but the single track there probably holds up best to the rain and would probably be worth the drive if we get a long enough break in the weather.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

lamer
    Thanks for the info, guys. In Swannanoa now, and there's no end in sight for this rain. I can only hope things dry a little by Sunday, and maybe I'll try Kitsuma on the way home. That 5mi road climb doesn't sound too exciting, though.