mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Return to Killer 3 March 13 Wedgefield SC

After an absence of more than a decade , The Trek Bicycle Store of Mt. Pleasant / Piggly Wiggly Cycling Team is pleased to announce The Return to Killer 3 Mountain Bike Race presented by The Trek Bicycle Store of Mount Pleasant. The race will be held in Manchester State Forest just outside of Sumter, SC on March 13, 2011.
    The Killer 3 race was a popular race series that occurred in the early to mid nineties. The Trek Bicycle Store of Mt. Pleasant / Piggly Wiggly Cycling Team has revived the event for a one day race on the same trails that made the race popular in the nineties. The trail, formerly named best in the state, features a mixture of rolling terrain that is surprisingly hilly for this area of the state. The 10 mile trail can also be technical in some areas with sharp turns, jumps, and in some cases sand. The trail is 90% single track.
    A strong cash purse will be awarded to the pro/expert classes while the Trek Bicycle Store of Mt. Pleasant has stepped forward with a generous prize package that will be distributed to other classes. The top male and female racer from the Charleston area in each class will also be awarded a special prize.
    Participants can register at The Trek Bicycle Store in Mount Pleasant, SC or online at pre-reg.com. Those in the lowcountry can save on registration by registering in person at the Trek Bicycle Store. For more information contact racedirector@trekcyclingmp.com or visiting www.trekcyclingmp.com.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsibis
    The 10 mile trail can also be technical in some areas with sharp turns, jumps, and in some cases sand
    I do not think this phrase means what you think it means.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well then please enlighten me.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsibis
    Well then please enlighten me.
    Its sandy out there. That's why it rocks in the rain.

March is a pretty wet month. Should be fun.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did one of the races in '98, moved away, came back to SC years later and wondered what happened to the race. This is cool! Glad it's been revived. I rode the trails again in 2009 and didn't recognize any of it from before, but it is still a great little trail system.

And yes, damp/cool weather is the best for Killer 3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Killer 3 trail conditions

Killer 3 trail conditions are near perfect. The trail crew at Manchester have been busy on working on the trail. Trek Bicycle Store of Mount Pleasant is sponsoring The Return to Killer 3 on March 13. You can register at Pre-reg.com or go by the Trek Store in Mount Pleasant and save $5 on registration. Gore has stepped up big time and donated sealed cable sets. If you have not ridden at Killer 3 you will be pleasantly suprised by this gem hidden in the central part of SC. Come out and race!

Robby Bennett

mtbr member
    May 2005

Sand

I ride there about once a week and have never found it to be very sandy at all except for some sections of the "red trail". Sure there are a few spots here and there but nothing like the sand at sesqui. The trail crew who maintains the trails do an excellent job, easily one of the best kept trails in the area.

mtbr member
    I live in Charleston, but I'm from central VA and love riding mountain trails... is it worth the 2 hour drive from here for a day of riding?? I am probably going to register for the race on the 13th regardless, just looking for some feedback from the people who ride there!!! Thanks guys(and gals)- Mick

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Most definately. As far as mountain biking goes Killer 3 is the closest trail to Charleston with elevation. The only trail in Charleston is Marrington in Goose Creek and it is flat. It looks like there will be 20+ racers from the Charleston area that weekend. Come out and race. Go by Trek Store in Mt. Pleasant and save $6 off Pre-Reg registration.

Robby

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @ mickeybo71 - Yes it is worth the drive to go to Killer 3. By the way, I lived in Charlottesville from '80 - '92. Send me an email I'd like to catch up with you.

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas! I registered today at the Trek store, and I'm gonna ride category 2 40+, since I turned 40 last month.... I am going to try to get up there for a training ride monday or tuesday of next week, more to familiarize myself with the course. I haven't raced since 2005, so I am most definitely excited to get back in it! @TallChris- I lived in C'ville 1998-2007, then in Richmond until last year. I miss the riding there a ton, so I am really looking for good trails here. I ride Marrington once or twice a week, and love it... but it is flat. More interesting than my daily West Ashley Greenway ride. Thank you guys- Mick