mtbr member

Recent trail work on Squirrel

Tons of GREAT trail work was noticed by myself and a few others today on Squirrel Gap. I have a hard time believing that this is the contracted work mentioned in the other thread. I'm thinking it was mountain bikers though? Seemed like the interest was geared toward trail flow. I was never upset by any thing I saw and the areas cleaned up really needed it.

Any info?
    My one says BRAP!

drunken pirate
    it's the contracted work.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I concur. Rode it a couple weeks ago and impressed with the work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Different contractor than the Kitsuma work. Some of the crew are mountain bikers. I don't think they have started the machine work on either end of squirrel. Glad to hear the work they have done is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    it's the contracted work.
    Glad to know this - The gullies on the South Mills river side, the side furthest from Turkey Pen still need work, some tech moves have been removed/altered, but all of this is really smart trail work and adds to the flow w/ out being brainless. Less is more. The trail is better now as a whole IMO.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    All good what I saw two weeks ago, sounds like what's happened meanwhile is good too. Trail contractor appears to be interpreting contract specs logically and taking into consideration user preference (and has the experience to do so). That's great news!

mtbr member
    Rode it today. Trail is MUCH faster, but still technical. From Laurel Creek to Horse Cove, there is no reason to get off your bike (unless you clip a tree going fast like I did) if you are comfortable with technical riding. Even the CC crossing is much easier now.

All and all, the works looks super. My only complaint is that a lot of what appeared to be live trees were cut down right next to the trail. Some were hemlocks, so they were probably on the path to death, but otherwise- why?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Rode it today. Trail is MUCH faster, but still technical. From Laurel Creek to Horse Cove, there is no reason to get off your bike (unless you clip a tree going fast like I did) if you are comfortable with technical riding. Even the CC crossing is much easier now.

All and all, the works looks super. My only complaint is that a lot of what appeared to be live trees were cut down right next to the trail. Some were hemlocks, so they were probably on the path to death, but otherwise- why?
    Mike are they contracted to rework the entire trail, and are they through with the section between Laurel creek to Horse cove?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "All and all, the works looks super. My only complaint is that a lot of what appeared to be live trees were cut down right next to the trail. Some were hemlocks, so they were probably on the path to death, but otherwise- why?[/QUOTE]"

Please use this link to find your answer:

http://www.muni.org/Departments/park...rsSept2008.pdf

Scroll down and you will find the design parameters for mountain bikes including clearing limits.

As trail contractors, we are generally held to these standards for these types of re-construction contacts.

Woody

Woody

mtbr member
    Woody,yeah, I guess that meets the Trail Class 2 parameters of 36-48", some light encroachment. I think "complaint" was too strong a word- more just a question. Looking at the parameters does make me want to do some skijoring, though.

Moto, the original contract specs definitely call for more work on the rest of Squirrel between Mullinax>Laurel and from Horse Cove>SMR. We did not see any work from M>squirrel and did not go past Horse- route was SMR > Mullinax> Sq> Horse> Cantrell> Sq> bradley> SMR. This btw, is a highly recommended route as long as you can brave the river crossing at the end.