mtbr member
    May 2006

Raleigh/Cary MTB?

My wife and I will be scoping out homes down in Cary next month. I've been looking around online at the mtb scene down there, (trianglemtb.com, etc.), and I'm not seeing a lot of singletrack around. Can anyone convince me the mtb scene is good there? Any racing in the area? I'm coming from NW NJ, and we have tons of good rooty, rocky stuff, as well as fast singletrack, and everthing's within a half-hour in any direction. Good race scene, too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Beveragecansealer

Hello, there is a nice bike trail in Durham, NC intersecting Fayetteville St just before you get to Pilot St on the right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Here you go:

Check out www.trianglemtb.com. You should find all the information you need.

Mama Tried
    Apr 2005
    Plenty of great riding and racing down here in the RTP. I'm heading up to your local this weekend let's get a ride in together and talk.

email sent
    The trail goes on forever and the party never ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Depending on where you end up in Cary, either Lake Crabtree or Harris Lake will be your closest official trails. A slightly further drive, 30-45 minutes, would put you at Beaver Dam, or New Light.
    In addition to these official trails, there are several other unofficial trail systems near Cary. Also Umstead State Park borders Cary to the NE. While none of the singletrack in the park is open to bikes, there is about 15 miles of double track that is good for wet days.
    Finally, there is more trail on the way. Last year, many of the mountain bike groups in the triangle merged to form the Triangle Off-Road Cyclists. In our first year TORC has succeeded in lobbying for up to 20 miles of trail in the planned Forest Ridge Park, several miles of trail at a landfill that is closing soon, and 10-15 miles of public trail at a large residential development.
    For trail info you can look at the "trails" section of www.trianglemtb.com. For information about upcoming trails and mountain bike advocacy you can view the TORC website at www.torc-nc.org.

mtbr member
    There's plenty of riding in the Triangle, and most of it should be within 30 minutes of most of Cary. Trianglemtb.com only lists the "official" trails in the area. Even though we have lost several trail systems to development recently, the unofficial trails in the area add quite a bit to the total listed on the website. Plenty of rocks, roots and technical places to ride. You just need to hook up with the locals and have them show you the type of riding you're looking for.

As for racing, I don't do it. You'll have to talk to someone else about that.
    SOFa-Slow old and fat. I'm the founding father.