mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Raleigh area trail recomendations?

Hello, I'm new to the Raleigh area. I'm looking for some good single track. Hoping someone can save me some time find a good area to ride. I just got back from Umstead and was a little disappointed. Maybe I didn't find the right trails. All I could find were gravel roads. All the trails that looked interesting were for hiking only. Any help would be appreciated!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Check out TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill for Raleigh area trails. Lake Crabtree County Park is very nearby to Umstead but depending on what type of trail you want to ride, you might want something else.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

dog
    sit! stay!
    What Jack said... Also, if you google maps Old Reedy Creek Road, you will see where that road crosses I-40, just to the south is a back entrance to Lake Crabtree Park. You'll see a chain link fence and notice that riders park along the road right there to access the trails... Just ask and they'll point you to them.
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Go here:

TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

In general, Crabtree and Harris Lake are the beginner trails. Crabtree gets really crowded with everything from first-time riders to Strava-geeks on weekends so I usually avoid it except for late in the day. Crabtree is also the closest trail to NCSU.

Beaverdam and San-Lee are the more intermediate trails and my personal favorites. Beaverdam charges admission this time of year and San-Lee is a bit of a drive from Raleigh.

New Light is the manliest trail in the area. It's quite rustic and it's on Wildlife Resources labs so it is only open on Sundays starting Sept. 1.