mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quick question about Dupont

I've been riding the Corn Mill Shoals area for quite some time now, and I keep hearing about how great Ridgeline trail is.
    I've haven't been to that side of the map yet, so can anyone give me their favorite route/path to take and try it out? (From the Lake Imaging parking lot, I assume)

Rogue Exterminator
    If I start from Lake Imaging, I hit Ridgline last.
    It just a great way to finish a good ride.

I guess before suggesting a route the first question would be how many miles do you want ride?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Indeed, how many miles are you wanting? You can also start from Guion Farms and do Ridgeline First. I prefer that trailhead, as it is closer for me since I drive up Greenville.

mtbr member

Here's One...

...that a friend and I rode this morning: Pick up Lake Imaging Road from the Lake Imaging parking lot. Left onto Jim Branch, Right onto Isaac Heath, Straight to pick up Locust. Right onto Imaging and immediate Left onto Hilltop. Right onto Imaging, Right onto Buck Forest, Left onto Chestnut Oak, Left onto Oak Tree, Left onto Joanna, Right onto Twin Oak, Left onto Briery Fork. Right onto Joanna, Left onto Grassy, Left onto Sandy, Left onto Tarkiln, Left onto Thomas Cemetery, Right onto Buck Forest. Left onto White Pine, Left onto Hickory Mtn, Right onto Guion, Straight to pick up Boundary, Right onto Hickory Mtn, Left for Ridgeline, Right onto Imaging and back to the parking lot. My odo read 13.65 miles for the ride...

Lotsa sweet options out there--buy a map and get lost a couple times! Also check the rides at: Pisgah Area SORBA DuPont Routes Have fun!!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Indeed, how many miles are you wanting? You can also start from Guion Farms and do Ridgeline First. I prefer that trailhead, as it is closer for me since I drive up Greenville.
    I usually start at Guion myself work to Lake imaging side, head toward Cormill past three lakes and some other trails, walk across the river, hit cedar rock and those trails, cross back over hit reasonover come back around airstrip and then hit some of the same trails backwards, Usually ends up being 30+ miles by the time I get back to Guion.

Definitely get a map. The Western NC Trail Guide is the best IMO.
    They have one specifally for DuPont and another for Pisgah/Bent Creek.
    They are mad by mountain bikers and are simple to follow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Awesome, thanks a million guys. Will definitely try it out this tuesday. And I should've put that in there, that about 10-20 miles is good for me.

Rogue Exterminator
    You could try this route

From Guion Farms parking start off on Buck Forrest Road

Take a right on White Pine
    Left on Hooker Creek
    Left on Ridgeline
    Left on Lake Imaging
    Left on Jim Branch
    Right on Isaac Heath
    Right on Locust
    Right on Lake Imaging (for only about 20 feet)
    Left on Hill Top

Now if you want it to be about 10 miles then
    Left on Lake Imaging
    Right on Locust
    Left on Isaac Heath
    Left on Buck forest back to the car.

If you want it to be about 20 miles and hit some other great trails
    Right on Lake Imaging
    Left on Pitch pine cross Joanna Rd and stay on Pitch Pine
    Left on Three Lakes
    Left on Conservation
    Right on Shelter Rock
    Left on Cornmill Shoals

From this point you need to make a decision to make it around 30 mile or closer 20 miles.

20 miles
    Left on Shoals
    Right on Laurel Ridge
    Right on Mine Mountain
    Right on Fawn lake
    Cross Conservation Rd to Reasonover
    Left on Lake Julia
    Left on Camp Summit
    When you come to the end of Camp Summit you will see an old air strip. (don't cut across the crass, that is just rude)
    Take a left on Conservation Road around to the air strip and take a right on the airstrip.
    At this point you must hold your hands out and ride down the strip making airplane sounds until you get to the trail (go dow to the end of the srip if you want to see the view)
    Take a left on Airstrip Trl
    Right on Shelter Rock
    Left on Conservation
    Right on Three Lakes
    Right on Pitch Pine
    Right on Conservation
    Left on Lake Imaging
    Left on Hill Top
    Cross over to Locust
    Left on Isaac Heath
    Left on Buck Forest
    and back to the car

30 Miles
    Stay on Cornmill until you get to the river crossing
    Cross over (better to wear socks for better traction. I keep a spare pair in my bag)
    Left on Burt Mountain
    Right on Corn Mill
    Left on Little River
    Left on Cedar Rock (I take the 2nd Cedar rock)
    Your choice down Cedar Rock or Big Rock (I usually do Big Rock so I will take you from there)
    Left on Cornmill
    Back across the river
    Right on Shoals and continue on 20 mile route.

You can do some change ups in there but those instructions and $15 map will get you knowing DuPont pretty well.

mtbr member
    Y'all forgot about Rocky Ridge! It's my favorite semi-tech trail in the park and I usually hit it first if I leave from Guion. Take a right out of the lot and head up the gravel for about 1.5 miles and there will be a small lot/trailhead/gate on the left. At the bottom turn left on the pavement, stay left onto the gravel road, and a short way up pick up Rifle trail on the right. Left on Guion and right on Hickory Mountain brings you to the top of Ridgeline.

Enjoy!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"