Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

PSA: Yellow Jacket nest on Kitsuma

About half way up from the I40 side. UnGODly nest of bees. I heard the shrill screaming going on ahead of me for awhile as I climbed the switchbacks. Thought it was people playing, but as I neared, realized they didn't sound like happy screams. Was a little concerned I was about to run upon some domestic violence, but rounded a curve and saw a couple trying to cut the switchback. I still didn't figure it out until...

About that time I got the first sting. First of many and the husband got even more. We've seen our share of yellow jackets in Pisgah but these were, to quote Jeff, "special". My hand swelled like a cartoon character's and I started wheezing a little, although I've never had an allergic bee reaction before. WARNING to anyone, especially those who are sensitive to bees, might want to avoid Kitsuma for a while.PSA:  Yellow Jacket nest on Kitsuma-bee.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Yellow Jackets!

We were on Kitsuma 10/6/13 and were attacked by those bees! There were so many! I got stung over 40 times! I thought about posting a sign at the bottom. I cannot believe how bad they were.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    About half way up from the I40 side. UnGODly nest of bees. I heard the shrill screaming going on ahead of me for awhile as I climbed the switchbacks. Thought it was people playing, but as I neared, realized they didn't sound like happy screams. Was a little concerned I was about to run upon some domestic violence, but rounded a curve and saw a couple trying to cut the switchback. I still didn't figure it out until...

About that time I got the first sting. First of many and the husband got even more. We've seen our share of yellow jackets in Pisgah but these were, to quote Jeff, "special". My hand swelled like a cartoon character's and I started wheezing a little, although I've never had an allergic bee reaction before. WARNING to anyone, especially those who are sensitive to bees, might want to avoid Kitsuma for a while.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	837459

Rogue Exterminator
    I won't say that if somebody goes up there and dumps some Sevin Dust on the hole, bye bye yellow jackets.

There are better products but Sevin Dust is easily available.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Damn, glad you're alright for the most part. Thanks for the warning.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

Carbon8er
    I started carrying some Benadryl on the bike several years ago just in case.
    I have never had a really bad reaction but they say that does not mean you won't the next time.
    I get some swelling at the sting area and intense itching for about a week, but breathing is ok.

By the way, Yellow Jackets are Wasp, not Bees
    Yellow jacket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love Bees, not too fond of wasp

mtbr member
    You can find this at most stores that carry camping supplies of any kind:

Extractor Pump Kit for Bites and Stings | Bass Pro Shops

I remove the extractor syringe and a small cup for it and carry that and an epi-pen in one of those really small running belts with the expandable pocket on it. I started that because I run, too, but found it's the most convenient way to carry it on the bike that gives me FAST access to it if I need it (I often bike without even a Camelbak, but even with a Camelbak I ride with this stuff in the belt.)

I am allergic and have had some fairly significant reactions. Now, if you get 40 stings I'd say the venom suck kit isn't worth messing with. But for 10 or less, I'd get myself to a safe place and start sucking each one with it. You just pop the cup on the end and put it over the sting and depress the syringe (extend it first, then depress it to get it to suck). It'll pull a nice little hicky on your skin, but it'll also get MOST of the venom out.

Having had to use one when I got stung five times once and THOUGHT it was only four (two were close together and in my hairline, so they didn't FEEL like but one and we didn't see the other), I can say that these things DO HELP A LOT. The four stings that I sucked only itched mildly for a couple days and the pain went away pretty fast. The one I missed? Hurt like a mother for a couple hours longer and itched for more than a week. And my reaction that time put me in the ER for a few hours. If I had gotten that fifth one, might not have needed the ER at all, hard to say. Still, I didn't need the epi-pen that time, though I almost did.

But even for the non-allergic, the suck kit will help with the pain. And the syringe doesn't weigh hardly anything to carry with you. And of course if you *did* get bit by something worse like a snake, well, it might save your life.

--Donnie

Carbon8er
    Good tips

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I won't say that if somebody goes up there and dumps some Sevin Dust on the hole, bye bye yellow jackets.

There are better products but Sevin Dust is easily available.
    Any better products available to civilians? I just had a nest in a new trail build where I could not reroute and after several cans of spray and 2 nest bonfires I tried Sevin dust. Maybe it was old but after 2 days they were walking around looking like mad but very much alive powdered doughnuts. I went to liquid Sevin concentrate and capped the nest with a clear plastic container and after a couple more days they gave up. A lot of time wasted on those little buggers.

And He was Not
    We have good luck with this. I'm not sure I have ever smelled anything so obnoxious in my life. It doesn't take a lot to get them to move on.

Malathion
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Carbon8er
    I have had excellent results with Sevin dust

The nest I have killed on my property died within 1 day after going out at night and dusting the opening.

When did you get here?!?!
    Nest at Avery x Buckhorn Gap intersection.

I was out yesterday (10/12/13) and got hit hard by yellowjackets. Ian L got hit even harder than me.

I have about 10 stings and Ian has twice as many.

Be careful out there!

Eric
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurred_Vision View Post
    Any better products available to civilians? I just had a nest in a new trail build where I could not reroute and after several cans of spray and 2 nest bonfires I tried Sevin dust. Maybe it was old but after 2 days they were walking around looking like mad but very much alive powdered doughnuts. I went to liquid Sevin concentrate and capped the nest with a clear plastic container and after a couple more days they gave up. A lot of time wasted on those little buggers.
    PM sent

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    I have had excellent results with Sevin dust

The nest I have killed on my property died within 1 day after going out at night and dusting the opening.
    It is what I always recommend to my friends if I can't get over to their house and do it for them.

Carbon8er
    Nest at Avery x Buckhorn Gap intersection.
    Are you talking about the section on lower Avery where you have to hike a bike up the hillside?
    There is a large root ball with a nest hole on the left side that you have to hop over on foot

I alerted that one during the Pisgah Stage race
    It's really a nasty one.

Right after this section is where Buckhorn crosses avery creek and the two trails join.

Rogue Exterminator
    They have really bean cropping up late this year which I am sure has something to do with all the rain we had this summer. I took care of my first nest a few weeks ago and they seen several more in the last week.

H8 H8 H8
    We came across a mother and son yesterday that go split up by the one at Avery and Buckhorn... had to get them across the creek and met back up. Their dogs took a real beating - one of them just froze up and laid down and got covered. Definitely take the other side of the creek there.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Carbon8er
    I may bring some Sevin dust with me on my next Avery ride

I usually have two dogs with me so this could be tough not to stir them up

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A group of us rode across the creek at the horse crossing at the Lower Avery/Buckhorn intersection to ride up Buckhorn (Saturday) and no one was stung nor were any of the nasties spotted. If this is the troubled area then use the horse crossing to access Buckhorn instead of the foot bridge. If you are coming down Avery there is the bandit trail about a mile up that hits a logging road that goes to the gravel (Avery Creek Road), but it is hard to spot if you are not familiar with it. This is why I alway carry two EpiPens, one for me and one for whoever may need it.

Carbon8er
    It's not on a creek side horse crossing

Where Avery and Buckhorn come together at the creek crossing, go back on Avery until you get to the hike a bike section on the hillside
    There is a large rootball that you have to step over
    The nest is inside the rootball

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The nest is inside the rootball
    I know that root ball! The dog and I hiked by it about a week ago. It was in the very early a.m., so it was the early hour or just dumb luck that we did not get stung.

Rogue Exterminator
    I may bring some Sevin dust with me on my next Avery ride

I usually have two dogs with me so this could be tough not to stir them up
    Not going to tell you not to because I could really care less if you do. Just don't tell people that you are going to do it. I know this from personal experience.

Carbon8er
    Do what?

thecentralscrutinizer
    Planning a ride up Kitsuma...Any word on the Yellow Jackets?

Thanks
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    The government is back in business, so I'm sure that the rangers will have them zapped by tomorrow.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Big Mac

PSA: Yellow Jacket nest on Kitsuma

Diesel fuel in a back pack sprayer is all a girl needs. Do it. You bunch of sissy pants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast