Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983

    Primitive Camping in Pisgah

    Hey guys I'm going to be there the weekend of Nov 9-12 and I was wondering if I should see what is available for the primitive sites by the Davidson River area/Horse Stables area. Are these sites normally taken pretty quickly. The last time I was there was Memorial Day weekend so of course I found nothing but I'm thinking it shouldn't be that busy. What do you think? I could always go back to the campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway but it's a little far from the action.

    Ryan H.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    If you get to the primitive sites before Friday, it shouldn't be a problem. The sites tend to fill up Friday afternoons.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  3. #3
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    I was there all week last week. Hardly anyone was there during the week but when the weekend rolled around there were quite a few people. There will still several sites available on Saturday night when we were rolling out, though. If you can't find a site there, consider camping in the Mills River area, there are tons of sites there.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I was there all week last week. Hardly anyone was there during the week but when the weekend rolled around there were quite a few people. There will still several sites available on Saturday night when we were rolling out, though. If you can't find a site there, consider camping in the Mills River area, there are tons of sites there.
    Are they pay sites? I'm trying to keep this trip on a low budget. I was surprised, even the pay sites on the Blue Ridge Parkway didn't have showers. So you pay all that extra money just for the convienience of a toilet...hmmm.

    Ryan H.

  5. #5
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    Davidson River campground has hot showers and takes reservations. Probably run you under 20.00 per night

    I don't think mills river has showers or takes reservations, but it is a very pretty campground in a good area for riding.

    Bent Creek also has a campground but I don't know much about that one. but you can ride all the bent creek trails right out of your campsite.

    You should have much better luck in November finding a road side site. The cold really cuts down on the number of campers. It's very posible to have freezing night time temps in November.

  6. #6
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,623
    There are roadside camps on Wash Creek road between Bent Creek and Mills River that are pretty livable.

    Bent Creek (Asheville) is closed for the season. I can't recall if Davidson (Brevard) changed their schedule, but they used "go primitive" after October - like no hot water. ReserveUSA doesn't mention it though. Tsali (Bryson City) shuts down their water soon and eventually locks the gate on the campground. Turkey Creek, up the road from there stays open year-round. Anything on the Parkway is not a good plan. They shut it down certain sections of the southern portion (like 276 to 191) in the winter.

  7. #7
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847

    No problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    Hey guys I'm going to be there the weekend of Nov 9-12 and I was wondering if I should see what is available for the primitive sites by the Davidson River area/Horse Stables area. Are these sites normally taken pretty quickly. The last time I was there was Memorial Day weekend so of course I found nothing but I'm thinking it shouldn't be that busy. What do you think? I could always go back to the campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway but it's a little far from the action.

    Ryan H.
    It'll be pretty quiet by then. You won't have trouble getting a spot. If the spots on
    the horse stable road are full, check road 475B out of the Fish Hatchery, and
    FS1206 road that runs between Mills River and US276. Any of these places are
    good for riding straight out of camp. Each of them have quite a few sites, and though
    some are nicer than others, I guarantee you won't have to pay to camp if you don't
    want to.

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mb3designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Yeah, like Broussard said, you won't have trouble finding a camping spot that's free this time of year. Spring and Summer are the complete opposites though.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

  9. #9
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    Are they pay sites? I'm trying to keep this trip on a low budget. I was surprised, even the pay sites on the Blue Ridge Parkway didn't have showers. So you pay all that extra money just for the convienience of a toilet...hmmm.

    Ryan H.


    Nope, completely free, and virtually uninhabited during the week. Davidson River is nice, but all you really get is running water and showers for your 20 bucks which IMO is a bit steep. There are good campsites near the stables as mentioned above, directly near the Davidson River campground area, and I'm positive that you could find a spot between Mills River and Bent Creek since there are loads of them off those forest roads, all free and beautiful sites near the water.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bill C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Tsali (Bryson City) shuts down their water soon and eventually locks the gate on the campground. Turkey Creek, up the road from there stays open year-round.
    Turkey Creek closes after GAF weekend, which is this week.
    SOFa-Slow old and fat. I'm the founding father.

  11. #11
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,623
    Oopps - that wasn't a public campout. Sorry.

    Hey - I'll lease my back yard in BC really cheap. Just don't wet on my azaleas!


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Davidson River campground has hot showers and takes reservations. Probably run you under 20.00 per night

    I don't think mills river has showers or takes reservations, but it is a very pretty campground in a good area for riding.

    Bent Creek also has a campground but I don't know much about that one. but you can ride all the bent creek trails right out of your campsite.

    You should have much better luck in November finding a road side site. The cold really cuts down on the number of campers. It's very posible to have freezing night time temps in November.
    Yea I'm not too worried about the cold. I've got all the gear for that. Hopefull it won't snow though :-) I'm looking forward to it and now that I've got all these spots to camp I can rest my mind a bit as well. I'll probably bring the geared bike and the SS to play with. I'll worry more about making sure they are in good condition.

    Ryan H.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •